Shocking CNN Article-What is next? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/02/04....html?hpt=Sbin

This is shocking, not sure which is worse. The government taking and keeping my childs info, running unauthorized genetic testing, sharing the info with insurance companies or storing it for 'future research'

All this without consent..... Disturbing

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#2 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM

wow...............that is really all I can say...............and I wish I lived in Texas or Minnesota. Although, even then, who knows if they really do destroy it or not.

sheesh!

If it goes back all the way to 1960 they have my DNA too!

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#3 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Wow. I'm in WA, and they keep it for 21 years. That's pretty ridiculous, and I'm furious that they're allowed to do medical research using my daughter's DNA without my consent.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#4 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Sweet! I live in MN and will be sending in that form for all my children and myself and hubby just in case!

Adrienne~SAHM to DS1~9, DS2~7, and DD1~4/08, partner in crime to DH since 98~
#5 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post

Wow. I'm in WA, and they keep it for 21 years. That's pretty ridiculous, and I'm furious that they're allowed to do medical research using my daughter's DNA without my consent.
How did you find this out? just google it? I'm in CO, I wonder what the laws are here............

caffix.gif wife and forever in love with J jammin.gif  - Mom to 4 girls K blahblah.gif '01' J energy.gif '06' M bouncy.gif '08' &  A drool.gif '11'  nocirc.gif  saynovax.gif

#6 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 PM

Totally irrelevant, but read Michael Crichton's book Next about DNA and gene testing--easy yet thought provoking read.
#7 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie2186 View Post
How did you find this out? just google it? I'm in CO, I wonder what the laws are here............

About halfway or through the article there is a hyperlink to the state by state info. Although I can't seem to get it to load.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#8 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am lucky we live in Texas. I am sending it in for my kids and myself and my DH. It is really shocking

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#9 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Interesting. I will have to see what the laws are for OR. So is this the same, or different than the thing you sign when you are at the hospital, or with a new doc, that gives them permission to give genetic info to "them"? I don't remember who or what, but I do remember signing something - though I believe that was anonymous.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#10 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 10:27 PM

Wow, I had no idea that this was done. DD was born in FL and it says it is kept less than 5 yrs. I was born in FL, too so I suppose this would apply to me, too.

My DNA as well as DH's is already on file, because we're both military. However, I gave consent. I am surprised this has gone on so long and hasn't met large scale resistance.
#11 of 15 Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM

So can you avoid this by having a home birth? Seems like something they do in the hospital. I'm appalled they can test, keep for 21+years and use for research our DNA without consent.
#12 of 15 Old 02-05-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
So can you avoid this by having a home birth? Seems like something they do in the hospital. I'm appalled they can test, keep for 21+years and use for research our DNA without consent.
If they're using the PKU test (which is how I understood it), the lab probably sends that to whoever stores it in your state, so getting it done at all would probably give them the DNA.

My homebirth midwife does the PKU test for us so I'm sure they have our sons' DNA.

Live and love with your whole being.
#13 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 12:20 PM

This type of stuff really creeps me out. I hate to be all "conspiracy theory", but I feel like there are so many things like this that are done without our knowing. We are just left in the dark on so many things. Not just government stuff, but pharmaceutical companies, etc...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#14 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM

Damn, that means they have my oldest and youngest kids' DNA except for my middle son-- I said no to the heel prick test for him. No wonder they threw such a fit about that. My other two kids' DNAs are on file "indefinitely". Fantastic.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#15 of 15 Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
Damn, that means they have my oldest and youngest kids' DNA except for my middle son-- I said no to the heel prick test for him. No wonder they threw such a fit about that. My other two kids' DNAs are on file "indefinitely". Fantastic.
They threw such a fit because that test doesn't just test for PKU but a number of life threatening conditions, most of which you wouldn't know you carry until its to late for your child. I know a lot of children who's lives were saved by early detection of metabolic/genetic disorders. I am all for testing every newborn for these disorders but I am not thrilled with them keeping the DNA on file without consent or allowing the info the fall into the hands of insurance companies. I understand the need for genetic research from a wide pool and wouldn't care if it stayed as anonymous samples for research for improving care for illnesses but this just has GATTACA written all over it.

Seriously?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page