Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-07-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/...ness-children/
Quote:
www.nationalmarriageweekUSA.org

National Marriage Week USA seeks to strengthen individual marriages, reduce the divorce rate, and build a stronger marriage culture. If we can accomplish those goals we will also help reduce poverty and strengthen our children. Together we can make more impact than working alone. We want folks across the country to recommit to work on their own marriages, to mobilize their community to get on board and to work together to host special marriage conferences and events, launch a marriage class or home group, or stir create or (sic) news coverage on the local level.
Are there any Marriage Week events going on in your community? Will be you observing Marriage Week in any way?

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for posting this. On a similar topic I was looking some stuff up online a few weeks ago and came across info about the movement away from no fault divorce in some states.

here is some info on covenant marriage in LA

http://www.lafamilyforum.us/covenantmarriage.html
http://www.divorcereform.org/cov.html
#3 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Maybe everyone can celebrate it by calling their representatives to demand equal marraige rights in the US.
#4 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
Maybe everyone can celebrate it by calling their representatives to demand equal marraige rights in the US.
Sounds good to me!

Be the change you want to see in the world. - Gandhi
#5 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#6 of 7 Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 PM

It is a very interesting argument. I have spent the past 4 months trying to figure out a way to get married without having the state issue me a license. The state where I live now says all couples wishing to be married MUST obtain a license from the state. I don't want to married by the state or under the state's laws, I want to be married under god by god's laws and the state is currently preventing me from doing this.

In the old days, marriage was allowed to all except to those for whom it was otherwise illegal. I don't even understand how this religious right has been usurped by the state, and nobody makes a deal about it. Shouldn't it be people's religious right to marry, not the state's jurisdiction?

Someone please let me know if I am disobeying of the Mothering.com user agreement in speaking of religion here. Thanks!
#7 of 7 Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
This forum is purely for the discussion of the particular calls to action. So, for discussion of other facets of this issue, it should go in the appropriate forum, as this is a no debate board.

Please let's keep this about the topic of this particular activity/occasion. If you feel there is a worthy counter cause, please submit a thread.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page