Raising School Standards - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-23-2010, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35520975...s-white_house/

Quote:
States that fail to raise the bar could lose their share of federal funding, though it's unlikely that would happen. Administration officials say they expect states will comply to remain eligible for the federal money.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 12 Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM

*heavy sigh* President Obama, Arne Duncan and most political people need to stay out of education. President Obama is not an education expert, nor is Mr. Duncan, nor politicians- how can they make such wrong claims.

Most states have high standards already.

This is such a complicated issue.

(sorry, brain is working on little sleep today, as you can see, I am against this).

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 12 Old 02-24-2010, 05:26 PM

because what we need is MORE standardization in education...

ITA with you, Aeress.

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#4 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Most states already can't meet the bar, increasing it will only make things worse.

Seriously?
#5 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakeber View Post
because what we need is MORE standardization in education...

ITA with you, Aeress.

Exactly!

ITA with Aeress also.

Did they repeal No Child Left Behind yet? That is their only involvement with education I want to see.
#6 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#7 of 12 Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Obama wants to expand the federal government's role in education, which traditionally is a state and local responsibility. His approach has been to use the federal purse as leverage to encourage states to adopt his ideas.
wow
#8 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 04:04 AM

I dunno I have a hard time with this, the KCMO school district is just a mess. I don't like the idea of the federal government overstepping like this but I also know that some states really need a wake up call.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM

A big yeah that to abimommy. Folks who live in places with good schools don't like the feds meddling, but people who live in areas with awful schools are generally happy. At least the feds aren't just handing out money to people who suck at educating kids, yk?? Some places' scores are so abismally low that kids essentially *aren't* learning - when you can graduate from HS w/o being able to read, something is *WRONG*!!
#10 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 PM

Well if you read the article it sounds like more of the same old same old rhetoric. They haven't repealed no child left behind so that unfunded mandate stands and now instead of repealing or at the very least funding it they are trying to put even more pressure on states. In this economy. I don't know where they think these local govs are going to get the money to pay for this.
#11 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What I don't get is how will raising the bar help? Most schools are failing and the kids are so far behind that its going to take a couple years of intense 1:1 for each child to get them up to current standards and it doesn't help when the schools are teaching to lower then the states standards. I know last year on the STAR test my dd scored where the state wanted her to score (can't remember the terms) but yet by school standards she was more then a year ahead of her peers in math. To me that says that if a 2nd grader is acing 3rd grade math class and almost to 4th grade math and only scored into the expected and not advanced for 2nd grade then the school must be teaching far below the bar.

Seriously?
#12 of 12 Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 PM

The problem is if you raise the standard of assessment without raising the standards of training, resources and environment, then tell people that their jobs and livlihood depend on high marks you won't get better teaching, you'll get better cheating.

If you want higher standards, you have to FIRST give enough money to provide student with premium conditions...smaller groups, technology, learning tools, creative enthusiastic teachers who aren't worried so about paying the bills that they can't focus on their jobs.

Not to mention the fact that some students are already behind, some of them YEARS behind, and it will require time, money and patience to get them up to speed.

I think having high standards is great, but they just aren't being realistic about how much money it requires to make that happen.

Reminds me of when a school I worked for decided to open a new campus only because they didn't have enough money, they couldn't pay for enough classrooms for all the kids so the groups were 50% bigger a second PC lab, a printer or copier for the second teacher's room, or an AV staff for the teachers to use multimedia resources and their text books were all hand me downs from the first campus, and the board of directors came to me as the middle year coordinator and said "why are these kids not doing as well? Why aren't they doing as well as the other campus? Why are they not as good?"

They tried to blame the teachers, so they fired the teachers at the new campus and transferred teacher from the old campus to the new campus...still no luck. They tried to blame the students (they were more isolated, less sophisticated, came from newer money and were less cultured and less well-bred). They tried to blame everything but themselves. When I told them they needed to give teachers the right tools to do their jobs and make sure they are paid well enough to be able to focus their energy on teaching rather than survival, they laughed. The president of the school board said to me, "A good teacher can do the same quality job with or without those luxuries."

And that, IME, pretty much sums up the mentality of non-educators who have their sticky fingers in the world of education.

They can't. A good teacher can do a good job without those things, but they can NOT do an equally job as they would WITH those things. So I have no problem with raising standards, but I have BIG problem with holding teachers with different tools and jobs of differing difficulty to the same standards. Teaching a middle class kid who probably learned to read before they started school in a school district where they have laptops to give every kid and electronic white boards, and video projectors in every class is just NOT the same as teaching kids, whose parents may not even speak the target language let alone read it, in over crowded classrooms, without even a photocopier as technical support. It's like giving different countries in the olympics different sized poles in the Pole-vault and calling it fair when the bar is set at the same height for all of them.

If the law said "we're going to go in and make all the schools equal in terms of resources and size and ammenities," I'd say, raise the bar to the sky, but you can't raise the bar until every one has the same sized pole with which to vault their students over it, ya know?

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page