ACORN To Disband Amid Scandal, Money Woes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125038045

A spokesman for the community organizing group ACORN said Monday that the group is disbanding after 40 years. The decision comes six months after video footage emerged showing ACORN workers giving advice on how to conceal money made from prostitution.
#2 of 12 Old 03-28-2010, 01:43 PM

It really angers me that a non-proffit with 40 years of community service behind them can be taken down so easily, but a for profit company with example after example of dishonest business practices that cost the "American taxpayer" much more can continue and thrive no matter what.

#3 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 PM

It angers me that a community service group would be using it's service to provide financial advice for people making money from illegal activities going on in the same community it's supposed to be helping........

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#4 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

I really can't feel sorry for them. Those videos were disgusting and the assistance of employees to those that were proposing child trafficking and under age prostitution was wide spread.
#5 of 12 Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 PM

I agree....not one bit of sympathy.

I think it's sad that it was an organization that was supposed to be helping the community it's based in and instead it's enabling the bad to go on and instead of changing things, it makes it worse.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#6 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

It really angers me that a non-proffit with 40 years of community service behind them can be taken down so easily, but a for profit company with example after example of dishonest business practices that cost the "American taxpayer" much more can continue and thrive no matter what.
I am inclined to agree with you. I am a former community organizer and ACORN at least years ago did a lot of really good work in communities that had no voice. I think they were sloppy as an organization, yet as someone who is now is non-profit management, sloppy management happens a lot in non-profits. Folks get so caught up in the mission that they forget at the same time a non-profit is a business and must be managed appropriately.

It saddens me that they became well known for missteps when they spent years doing a great deal of good.

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#7 of 12 Old 04-11-2010, 11:37 PM

This is a bit weird

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=125482178

Quote:
Rather than give advice on prostituting underage girls, human trafficking and cheating on taxes, the attorney general's office found ACORN members at times caught on to the scheme and called the police in the portions of the videos that were cut.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#8 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 AM

Okay, if that article is true I am really, really upset about this. The level of dishonesty...

#9 of 12 Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we already knew that ONE office actually called the police out of the multitude that were solicited. It was reported last year, when the tape was made public for that office. The article is only about California and Democrat Browns decision not to prosecute. Nothing really mind blowing here.

It did have a nice little implied spin though, and conveniently leaves out the multitude of ACORN employees that were taped giving advice to these people on how to evade the law with regards to underage prostitution and child trafficking. Wonder why that wasn't mentioned. Browns excuse was basically well they didn't get their permission to tape them so........ You'd really think people here would be outraged at anyone assisting in underage prostitution and child trafficking.
#10 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Well, we already knew that ONE office actually called the police out of the multitude that were solicited. It was reported last year, when the tape was made public for that office. The article is only about California and Democrat Browns decision not to prosecute. Nothing really mind blowing here.

It did have a nice little implied spin though, and conveniently leaves out the multitude of ACORN employees that were taped giving advice to these people on how to evade the law with regards to underage prostitution and child trafficking. Wonder why that wasn't mentioned. Browns excuse was basically well they didn't get their permission to tape them so........ You'd really think people here would be outraged at anyone assisting in underage prostitution and child trafficking.
The sentence I quoted is plural.

I think the public has a right to know what is actually on the tapes, without edits. I withhold judgement until then. There is a lot of partisan bickering over the issue, I think the materials should just be made available to reduce the strife.

#11 of 12 Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I can't figure out what is partisan about child trafficking and child prostitution. If anyone ever approached me asking how they could be assisted in either of those ventures I'd get their names and call the police. There is no other acceptable response. So if you are caught on tape giving them advice on how to do it, you got no excuse in my book.
#12 of 12 Old 04-14-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I can't figure out what is partisan about child trafficking and child prostitution. If anyone ever approached me asking how they could be assisted in either of those ventures I'd get their names and call the police. There is no other acceptable response. So if you are caught on tape giving them advice on how to do it, you got no excuse in my book.
Because there appears to be evidence that what was shown to the public wasn't precisely what happened.

I think in such instances it is reasonable to want all of the information rather than what networks decide to give me. There were rebuttals but I would rather just see the tapes. I just want the facts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page