The FDA Food "Safety" Modernization Act - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
S. 510: The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act
Rescue Local Organic Farming from One-Size-Fits-All Food Safety Bill!

Call Now
Enter Your Zip Code

Next week, as early as Tuesday, April 13, the U.S. Senate is expected to vote on a sweeping overhaul of the federal food safety law – S. 510. The House food safety bill passed last year (HR 2749) included several measures that threaten small-scale organic producers, including a registration fee of $500 and blanket application of complicated monitoring and traceability standards - regardless of one's farm size.

There's no doubt that industrial agriculture needs better oversight. But, family-scale local and organic farms are probably the safest in the nation - they are part of the solution, not part of the problem - and need to be protected!

Now is your chance, as a supporter of sustainable family farming, to help fix these problems! Senator Tester (D-MT), a certified organic farmer himself, is proposing an amendment to S. 510 that would exempt small-scale farmers and food processors from the most burdensome regulations.

We need your help TODAY, please call your U.S. Senators with input on these proposals.
I contacted both of my U.S. Senators. There's a Republican one and a Democrat one, and I adjusted my line for each.

The Republican one I was all about creating a free market to buy food, keeping my local businesses in business, and against big government when independent voluntary certifcation companies could do the same thing without interfering with anyone's freedom.

The Democrat one was all about helping the little guys against the big nasty conglomerates, and I said "It would be irony of the worst sort if the burden that is placed on the small farmers is such that the best guys go out of business, and I'm forced to buy from the outfits that cut corners on food safety and wouldn't do a thing about it if the government didn't make them."

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wish I knew about this before the end of the week! How did it turn out??

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
#3 of 4 Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM
Banned

I just did a quick google search. From what I have time to read through it looks like the bill was modified to exempt supplements. I think the vote had to be put off and couldn't find info on when the next vote will be (how convenient for them. they can sneakthis stuff through when no one watching)

Monsanto sure is a friend to the little guy, eh guys? just like their horrible lying commercial says
#4 of 4 Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Looks like it's still going. HR 875 and S 425.

I tried to enter those into the bill search, but neither showed up. I had to search using the name of the HR bill and going thru the list of all the active S bills. I saved the PDF files to my computer so I can carefully read the bills later, then write and call folks.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page