Easy ways to spread info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-10-2010, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was trying to think of ways to randomly put anti-circumcision or foreskin friendly ideas in other people's heads without a ton of effort. Here are two ideas. I just ordered new checks online, there are options to personalize them (like special lettering, logos, or one-liners like 'I love cats' or whatever,) so I put a message above the signature line that will be on every check I ever write that says: "Circumcision violates basic human rights, hurts baby & removes his right to choose." Another idea, get personalized return address labels with an informative web address on them, along with your own name and address. You never know who will glance at your envelopes or checks along the way (various employees, postal workers, or whatever.) One word of caution: I would avoid hateful or hurtful language, or your efforts may backfire. If your intention is to spread love and spread information, you can't go wrong. Cheers!
#2 of 17 Old 04-10-2010, 11:49 AM

I hit Borders every month or so and sneak pamphlets into all the mainstream baby books

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#3 of 17 Old 04-11-2010, 02:36 AM

There's a site called Omegle, that anonymously puts you into a 1-on-1 chat with another anonymous person. I use it to spread the anti-circ message, as well as tell people about foreskin restoration, which I'm doing.

http://www.omegle.com
#4 of 17 Old 04-11-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I hit Borders every month or so and sneak pamphlets into all the mainstream baby books
I love it

Hi I'm Elle, a ing mama to my boy, Honeybun
#5 of 17 Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM

design pro-intact shirts at inktastic.com for your kids to wear to the Children's museum! DS's current shirt reads "Bodily Integrity: it's not just for girls!"

Fyrestorm: I love your idea! Now I want to do the same thing!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#6 of 17 Old 04-11-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH346 View Post
There's a site called Omegle, that anonymously puts you into a 1-on-1 chat with another anonymous person. I use it to spread the anti-circ message, as well as tell people about foreskin restoration, which I'm doing.

http://www.omegle.com
Now that is a very interesting way.
#7 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Which pamphlets do you use? I really want to do this!
#8 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Which pamphlets do you use? I really want to do this!
me too...i'm going to a book store tonight.

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#9 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM

I have a bunch of print outs from NOCIRC:

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#10 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I did this at my OB's office, I left pamphlets inside the magazines in the waiting room. I also left some in the bathroom.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#11 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
I did this at my OB's office, I left pamphlets inside the magazines in the waiting room. I also left some in the bathroom.
Love it!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#12 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 04:18 PM

You can put bumper stickers on your car. Or, if you are like me and don't want something permanent stuck to your car, just print out a simple no circ saying and tape it to the inside of your car windows. I have one on each side:

"circumcision:
HIS body HIS rights
nocirc.org"

"The foreskin is NOT a birth defect
nocirc.org"

I do see people looking at it, and got the finger once and some guy tried to yell at me while I was driving on the highway (my window was rolled up and i just saw him out of the corner of my eye). That was a bit freaky. Both incidents were young guys so they were probably feeling pretty defensive.

I also have a 'foreskin is not a birth defect' button on my purse so that anyone standing in line behind me has to look at it. I actually had someone comment on it, she said she had a heck of a fight with her DH not to circ their boys and they were not circ'd.

I also put buttons on DS's backpack, which we usually take on outings with us, such as the zoo, etc. The only problem with buttons is they fall off easy. My Mom figured out a way to get them to stay on.

I keep nocirc brochures in the backpack. I did use them twice so far with acquaintances expecting a boy. Not sure if it helped or not.

cafepress.com has a ton of stuff, it's just expensive. I got a license plate holder then realized it didn't work on my car and with our plates (covered up the tabs!!)

About a month ago, I was on my way to my car and some people were just getting out of the car next to me. One of the ladies said "I think they are a bit young to choose". I wasn't quick enough to hear it right away/answer, but she obviously didn't get it!

DS 2006 nocirc.gif DiaperFreeBaby angel1.gif March 2010, DD 2011

#13 of 17 Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

Moving this thread from TCAC to Activism where it will be a better fit.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#14 of 17 Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM

I just donated a bunch of books leftover from my pregnancy with Ds. A friend had given them to me and they were awful - all the Girlfriend's Guide and What to Expect types. I scribbled www.mothering.com, www.nocirc.org, www.kellymom.com and a few other sites throughout various pages. The Goodwill here wil ltake any book that's highlighted or written in, so I wasn't worried about them rejecting it for the writing. I have left pamphlets for a local birth organization in ladies rooms and waiting rooms. I also do the bumper sticker thang.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#15 of 17 Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I like the bumpersticker that says "The foreskin is NOT a birth defect"! If I had a car (or a licence, for that matter ) I'd tape it into my windows.

Kris: "auntie" to W (7yrs)  and Z (5yrs)

→Waiting to start my own little family←
#16 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
What an awesome idea.
#17 of 17 Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM

I want to order little cards (like business cards) to do the same. I wonder where I can look up... what website has ideas about what can be written there
Maybe some written words or pictures..? For example, I find this one motivating. http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object3/...04427_5963.jpg Maybe a bystander will stop and think a lil' bit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page