Adoptive Parent "Returns" Russian Son - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_531477.html

Quote:
Russia threatened to suspend all child adoptions by U.S. families Friday after a 7-year-old boy adopted by a woman from Tennessee was sent alone on a one-way flight back to Moscow with a note saying he was violent and had severe psychological problems.
I so hope this poor child can get some help. I do not know how long he had been in the orphanage before adoption (last September) but I hope someone comes forward who can help him.

#2 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 08:06 PM

I can't believe an airline would take an unaccompanied child on an international flight with a one way ticket no less.
#3 of 9 Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I can't believe an airline would take an unaccompanied child on an international flight with a one way ticket no less.
I think I read somewhere that they did pay $200, or something, for someone to make sure he got where he was going. Seemed pretty crazy to me too, though.

#4 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
I think I read somewhere that they did pay $200, or something, for someone to make sure he got where he was going. Seemed pretty crazy to me too, though.
The news tonight said something about it not being uncommon for a child to be unaccompanied on an international flight--that seems so wrong.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Lots of kids fly unaccompanied all over the place - I know my friends in Spain who were the kids of austrian diplomats talked about doing it all the time as kids.

But yes, the whole concept is just so wrong... One thing I read said it was actually grandma who put him on the flight not mom/dad... Not that that makes it any better, just another wierd twist mostly...
#6 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Well yea, my kid has flown unaccomponied too, but not at 7 internationally with a one way ticket. From what I remember when we did it, it was some time ago, there were age limits based on flight distance. This was domestically of course.
#7 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Urgh. To angry to say anything productive. :

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 07:39 PM

This story just makes me angry and upset. This poor child must of been scared to death.

Too many unanswered questions...

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM

As if dumping him on the plane like that did anything to help his issues...
Poor kid.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page