Lane Bryant Accuses Fox And ABC Of Refusing To Air Plus-Size Lingerie Ad - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...ml#postComment

Quote:
Plus size clothing retailer Lane Bryant criticized Fox and ABC for refusing to air a sexy lingerie commercial, but later deleted an accusatory post on its Inside Curve blog saying the networks embrace a double standard of beauty
If this is true, then it clearly is a double standard.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 4 Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 PM

The thing I think is funniest about this is that usually "plus size" models are about a size 10.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 4 Old 04-23-2010, 04:34 PM

Just FYI- The model in that ad is Ashley Graham and she's a size 16 and 38D.

I'm glad it'll be shown on next week's American Idol. And the whole controversy has actually added to the marketing of the ad and more people will see it now. Gotta love that! The whole ad is just...um...yummy and soooo much better than any of those Victoria Secret ads. DW and I watched it last night and were just speechless for a while afterwards. LOVE IT!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#4 of 4 Old 04-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Dh showed it to me and we agreed that the reason it was pulled is that this woman is not super-thin - she is really sexy, but not in a safe, androgynous way, so it had to go. And I think there is a double standard that only "controlled" and "disciplined" women's bodies can be shown on tv in the nude. This model's body does not bow to societal pressures.

I have to say, the depiction of real bodies has improved. Even Allure magazine, which I love dearly but which loves anorexic-looking models, had a model last month who was not super-thin, not super-toned, and there was nothing calling attention to it. She was just with the other models and the very fact of it not being called out was great.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page