Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
An oil spill that threatened to eclipse even the Exxon Valdez disaster spread out of control with a faint sheen washing ashore along the Gulf Coast late Thursday as fishermen rushed to scoop up shrimp and crews spread floating barriers around marshes.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...437_oil30.html
Hmmm..... not sure i'd like to chuck those shrimp on a barbie...

But in all seriousness, this is a huge environmental disaster, imo. It could even end up bigger than the Exxon Valdez in Prince William Sound. I guess it just brings into question the reasoning behind drilling for oil a kilometre beneath the ocean surface... in an area that is relatively closed to large ocean currents & surrounded by productive estuarine wetlands... At what price do we put relatively cheap fuel in our cars? And surely if we are going to drill in these areas, it might be a good idea to engineer remote control shut down valves?

Don't get me wrong, I drive a car, use electricity, & consume plastics too. I just wonder sometimes, at what price?

And I wonder what can practically be done to ensure that an environmental disaster like this doesn't happen again. And again.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#2 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 PM

You raise a great point. I think as long as we continue to use petroleum products, accidents like these are going to happen. There are are only so many measures one can take..I mean you can do everything possible to prevent these things from happening but still....invariably it will.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#4 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 09:21 PM

I am very upset about this.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100503/...F5c2l0d2lsbA--

Quote:
The update on the dispersants came as BP was preparing a system never tried to siphon away the spill of crude from a blown-out well a mile underwater. However, it will take at least another six to eight days before crews can lower 74-ton concrete-and-metal boxes being built to capture the oil and siphon it to a barge waiting at the surface.

That delay could allow at least another million gallons to spill into the Gulf, on top of the roughly 2.6 million or more that has spilled since the April 20 blast. Those numbers are based on the Coast Guard's estimates that 200,000 gallons a day are spilling out, though officials have cautioned it's impossible to know exactly how much is leaking.

The oil could keep gushing for months until a second well can be dug to relieve pressure from the first.
This is so awful, so disastrous, I am beyond angry about this. I am glad that BP will be footing the bill though! They better pay, anyway. But I'm sure they will end up with a bailout as well somehow .

#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2010, 07:41 PM

Its awful I agree.... I just listened to a fairly interesting interview on mark levin's site a few minutes ago... apparently one of the workers on the rig called in and told his side of what happend and how/why... Not sure how, but they did somehow verify that he is/was who he said he was...

http://www.marklevinshow.com/Article...422&spid=32364

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page