Mothering Forum banner

Do you think information is a distration?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Arduinna 
#1 ·
But more importantly, do you think the government needs to have any opinions about how much access we have to it???

Did anybody else here what the president said this weekend about information being "confusing" and "distracting"?
(it was May 8th or 9th)

What do you think it means?
Do you think they will attempt to filter the info we can access on the internet?
It would be pretty easy to do, if they made the internet a public utility. Which a lot of people have been suggesting.

#2 ·
My husband and I talked about this last night.

Information, in and of itself, is not the problem. How it is presented, currently, I feel is a problem. Soundbites and constant need for updates is distracting. I think that it is confusing in that everyone has something to say, and the varying levels of professionalism and reliability are confusing. It is hard to get a solid story sometimes, and other times you only get one point of view.

My husband wasn't sure he agreed with the statement, but then proceeded to check his phone for updates while we were talking, and had to ask me to repeat myself a couple of times because he was distracted.

I do not think that the government should filter or alter our access to this, but I do think that people have a responsibility to ask for better sources, more accurate reporting, etc.

I don't believe they will attempt to filter our access.

#7 ·
I do think we have a responsibility to seek better sources and ask for more truth in our media. I find it unfortunate that so many pundits and are seen as "journalists" and they are not. They are there to push an agenda. Their purpose is not to give the news. I wish news outlets would do away with them but I don't see that happening.

I am horrified there is so much outright lying and manipulation in the news. It is sad really. I used to count on the news to just give me the news. I don't want all the subtleties and hysteria. I feel it is harming our society and our critical thinking skills.

There is a media war going on with each outlet trying to be MORE outrageous and MORE sensationalist. Yellow journalism is taking over our media and we should be concerned, we should expect the truth from our Press. If they are not providing that then they are doing us a disservice. I am not pinpointing any one outlet, they are all doing it.

I don't watch TV news channels at all now, there is so much garbage on them. We use our tv time for important things like Dr Who and Wiggles

I don't think the government should have a role in the distribution of media. I think that would be unethical and evil.

#8 ·
are we really following "news" stories on fox? sheesh.

i don't think the government should or will filter our news/information, BUT i think the information out there is confusing, overwhelming and misleading. you really have to be on top of you game to get any honest news or information. so much stuff that is lies and opinions is passed off as news and fact.

h

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
are we really following "news" stories on fox? sheesh.

i don't think the government should or will filter our news/information, BUT i think the information out there is confusing, overwhelming and misleading. you really have to be on top of you game to get any honest news or information. so much stuff that is lies and opinions is passed off as news and fact.

h

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebirdiemama View Post
What do you think it means?
Do you think they will attempt to filter the info we can access on the internet?
It would be pretty easy to do, if they made the internet a public utility. Which a lot of people have been suggesting.
I honestly doubt it. Obama is pretty sincere when he says he wants a more transparent government. I work in the intelligence community and he's written at least one executive order that directs us to classify as little info as possible and shortened the automatic declassification time. His goal is to have as much info available to the public.

I do think we have too much info sometimes. Not necessarily the type or subject matter, but the frequency it's updated and how it's presented. We have Twitter,FB updates,texts, everything going right to our phones. We have a four minute news story with 20 minutes of multiple people telling us what is means.

I think the issue is quantity over quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.