22-Mile Oil Plume Under Gulf Nears Rich Waters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_593658.html

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS — A thick, 22-mile plume of oil discovered by researchers off the BP spill site was nearing an underwater canyon, where it could poison the foodchain for sealife in the waters off Florida.
This is heartbreaking.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 PM

This is horrible. Beyond words.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm so

This is an extinction level event, the only question is how many species will survive at all?

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:20 AM

The ecological implications are devastating. What about the people who live along the gulf coast that depend on such a fragile balance for their living from day to day? I grew up on the Gulf Coast. My heart aches for the people who are going to loose their livelihood because of this spill. My home is going to be ruined and my people will be too. It just makes me so.....angry.

What really pisses me off? When I hear people say that these people can move somewhere else to make a living...or that nature will take care of its own. It's just so complacent and dismissive. They have no idea what that even means.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

Old 05-29-2010, 08:39 AM

momo7, I totally understand. And you know, they are right. Eventually, nature will 'take care of its own'. Hell, if we nuked the whole planet, eventually, it'd come back. But, its just how *LONG* is it going to take to 'come back'?? Alaska's still dealing with the repercussions of the Exon Valdez, what, 25 years later? And this ones even bigger. And hitting a place thats at least as vulnerable, if not more so. So yeah, in another 50 or 100 years, it might be back to where it was previous to the spill, more-or-less. But, its going to take *YEARS*. And *THATS* what alot of people just don't get - just how *LONG* its going to take.

User Tag List