Media, boaters could face criminal penalties by entering oil cleanup 'safety zone' - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Coast Guard has put new restrictions in place across the Gulf Coast that prevent the public - including news photographers and reporters covering the BP oil spill - from coming within 65 feet of any response vessels or booms on the water or on beaches.

According to a news release from the Unified Command, violation of the "safety zone" rules can result in a civil penalty of up to $40,000, and could be classified as a Class D felony.

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-sp...ace_crimi.html
#2 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 07:57 PM

Doesn't pass the sniff test, to me.
#3 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM

I would really rather the Coast Guard not waste my tax dollars getting sued

Not all those who wander are lost 
#4 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Doesn't pass the sniff test, to me.
LOL

I first heard the story on Anderson Cooper 360 and he and the Mayor ( down here called the Parish President ) of Plaquemine parish were complaining that due to the narrow widths in the bayous and marshlands down here that it would hamper volunteers and news media attempting to cover the story because they wouldn't even be able to enter areas due to the distance limit.

2 weeks ago when I posted this I searched trying to find anyone covering it and it hadn't made up in AC360 website, at least I couldn't find it. So this was the only story I could find at the time.

I think they both have a legit concern. Of course I guess I can see how those who aren't actually down here might not get the problem. Of course you actually have to read more than what is allowed to be posted due copyright limits if you want to get the whole story. The Times Picayune is the local New Orleans paper is what I linked to in the OP. They are a legit newspaper.

Do you actually have any source to refute their claims?
#5 of 14 Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Here lol maybe you will like Huffington Post better, it only took them 2 weeks to post the story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/georgi..._b_634661.html

The United States Coast Guard considers me a felon now, because I "willfully" want to obtain more photos like these to show you the utter devastation occurring in Barataria Bay, Louisiana as a result of the BP oil catastrophe. If the Coast Guard has its way, all media, not just independent writers and photographers like myself and Jerry Moran, will be fined $40,000 and receive Class D felony convictions for providing the truth about oiled birds and dolphins, in addition to broken, filthy, unmanned boom material that is trapping oil in the marshlands and estuaries. We don't have $40,000 to spare, and have had to scrape the bottoms of our checkbooks as is to hire boats to take us to the devastation the Coast Guard, under the direction of BP, does not want you to see.
#6 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 02:57 PM

I have no problem with this. 65 feet is not a very far distance and when people try to get that close, you risk getting hurt.

To say that it is preventing coverage is ridiculous. Why does anyone need to be so close to a CG vessel or a boom? There is plenty of devastation to go around and take pics of.

Nowhere does it say that you can't take pictures. Media often take photos from the air and anyone with a zoom lens can capture an image at 65 feet.
#7 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

65 ft is a very far distance when the areas between land in the bayou and marshlands is typically much less than 65 ft across. So you are effectively cutting off all access to many miles of waterway. If you can't get within 65 feet and the whole navigable width is only 15 ft across that means it's completely blocked to access for miles and miles. The area covered by this is not limited to the open water zone of the gulf.
#8 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah W View Post
I have no problem with this. 65 feet is not a very far distance and when people try to get that close, you risk getting hurt.

To say that it is preventing coverage is ridiculous. Why does anyone need to be so close to a CG vessel or a boom? There is plenty of devastation to go around and take pics of.

Nowhere does it say that you can't take pictures. Media often take photos from the air and anyone with a zoom lens can capture an image at 65 feet.
They are not letting them fly low enough to get pictures from the air

From the article in the OP

Quote:
Photographers have had similar problems viewing the oil's impacts from the air. Photographer Ted Jackson of The Times-Picayune was trying to charter a flight with Southern Seaplane in late May to photograph oil coming ashore on Grand Isle, but the pilot was told that no media flights could go below 3,000 feet, due to restrictions from the Federal Aviation Administration.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 07:03 PM

I found these interviews with Anderson Cooper and Mac McClellan reporting about the crackdown revealing-

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/7...the_gulf_coast

A bit off topic but any company who could do this, if in fact it pans out that they did, is capable of anything, IMHO-
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100716/...ckerbie_bomber
#10 of 14 Old 07-16-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

revealing how? Care to elaborate?
#11 of 14 Old 07-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
revealing how? Care to elaborate?

Well, in the article in the first link I posted, Anderson Cooper is quoted saying, "Keeping prying eyes out of marshes, away from booms, off the beaches is now government policy. " He has been covering the story from the beginning, so I would think he could see first hand how access been changing. According to him, there is a now concerted effort on the part of PB and the White House to limit transparency.

This was another interesting view from Mac McClelland-
"Well its obviously a complete reversal from everything the Coast Guard has been telling us so far, right, that its total transparency, media can go wherever they want. That is already not true obviously, as everyone who is on the ground has been experiencing, but it is also strange that they’re saying that the reason they had to implement this rule is because local authorities are saying that they wanted it. And local authorities down here are denying that wildly"

One of the other journalists, Georgianne Nienaber says the restrictions imposed on the media reminds her of working in the Congo-

"I find myself before I plan to go back down to the Delta thinking how am I going to get access to places? How am I going to to hide my camera, how am I going to hide my film? What will I do if somebody demands I open my camera? And I never working in this country have had that feeling, and its really terrible feeling I’ll tell you that."
#12 of 14 Old 07-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Here is a new kick in the pants from BP-
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_oil_spill_feinberg
#13 of 14 Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM

#14 of 14 Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Oh fun, Bonnie is on her way to us and should be here by Sunday.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page