What I wrote to AAP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sent it through the intactamerica email, but I used my own words. Don't know if it will make a difference, but it feels good to be involved.

Quote:
Dear AAP,

Recommending circumcision to reduce the risk of STDs is akin to recommending the withdrawal method to reduce pregnancy. The STD rate in the U.S. is already high. I don't think it would be wise to put the idea in people's minds that circumcision provides protection against disease.

1) What are the STD rates in the U.S.?

2) What is the circumcision rate in the U.S.?

3) What are the STD rates in the Western Europe?

4) What is the circumcision rate in Western Europe?

If the AAP wants to reduce the STD rate in America, it would appear the way to do it is through education and access to contraceptives, not through the cutting of normal genitals. If there is any choice of circumcision, it should be left up to that individual whose body will be permanently altered.
If an individual IS engaging in harmful sexual behavior, cutting off part of his penis should never be the first intervention in order to create safer sex- why would we have it be the first intervention after birth?

Sincerely,
#2 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#3 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM

Excellent!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 PM

Awesome letter but those AAP are Getting Free Money to them for Funding Circ as STD prevention/reduction that Money Needs to go Where People Actually Need not where its getting flushed down the toilet because for some reason USA blindly needs to keep that circ'ing going as some benefit to others because if they admit that they are realizing their is No Benefits they may face alot of angry parents realizing they were mislead and that they caused harm to their kids for no reason at all .
#5 of 8 Old 07-04-2010, 07:55 PM

Has the AAP recently changed their stance from neutral to pro-routine-circumcision?

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#6 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 06:23 PM

I wish you all the luck in the world with this approach. It is vital that the decision-makers hear from all of us.

Unfortunately, I have been making the same argument since 1997, and in some cases face-to-face with officials from the medical associations and the influential medical centers (e.g., UCSF) that play a key policy rôle.

The nonsensical argument I always get back: Thank goodness our circumcision rate is as high as it is, or our HIV and STI rate would be through the roof! And as for Europe, maybe they could improve their numbers by starting to cut every baby boy!

Makes me want to scream.

So, my approach is now more jarring. I ask point-blank: "What is the American medical establishment doing today to teach us to enjoy our foreskins and keep them healthy? After all, shouldn't the primary goal be good health of our normal bodies, not preventive surgery? Or do you honestly claim that intact penises are beyond redemption and we can do nothing through education and condom use to lower America's sexual health morbidity?"

You should see the look on their faces when I ask why boys and men aren't being taught that foreskins are fun and healthy.
#7 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

I also wrote a letter through IntactAmerica, but used a lot of my own words. I like yours even better.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#8 of 8 Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Moved from TCAC to activism.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page