Church burning the Quran--what would you do if this were happening in your town? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 40 Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://gawker.com/5595885/florida-ch...ran-day-on-911

What do you think would be an effective way of protesting or working to counter their message?

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#2 of 40 Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
http://www.pbs.org/niot/about/niot1.html

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.
#3 of 40 Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM

oh this hurts my heart.

Is there an interfaith community that can stand up to this?
Any way to protest the protest like those who oppose Fred Phelps do?
Organize educational forums and opportunities?
Celebrate Ramadan as a community in advance of this?
Have the library or a local theatre show The Peace Tree?
Have a peace festival?

Do some sort of communty support for Muslims (sell t-shirts to raise funds for interfaith educational programs?)

There's a thread in Spirituality about dealing with intolerance (and hate) towards muslim - maybe some of the mamas there have suggestions.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#4 of 40 Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM

Finding the interfaith community in your area and having them hold a demonstration. Contact the local media and invite them.

Encouraging all the people of faith that you know to write letters to the editor in favor of religious tolerance.

And the Not in Our Town site has some great ideas. Maybe you can sponsor a view of the PBS show?

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#5 of 40 Old 08-08-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much. I really, really love the Peace Tree idea and am looking into a way to get these around our city in anticipation of this awful event.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

#6 of 40 Old 08-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Wow. Would it help to try and remove the discussion from conflicting religions, and focus on the issue of book-burning?
#7 of 40 Old 08-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I have removed a couple of posts from this thread. This thread is for discussion of how to counter the action of the Church in question. This is not the place to air your religious grievances, or discuss how bad all religion is. Please do not post in this manner. Thanks.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 40 Old 08-30-2010, 12:51 AM

OP any update on community support for opposing this "church"?

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#9 of 40 Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
oh this hurts my heart.
I would at least write a letter to the church stating their methods are inappropriate. I would be afraid to live in a town where this was happening. How long before they come for you?

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#10 of 40 Old 08-31-2010, 07:20 PM

http://creativeseminole.com/2010/08/...ing-the-quran/

There ya' go.
#11 of 40 Old 08-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtYourCervices View Post
Oh that is beautiful.
Thank you for posting that.

#12 of 40 Old 09-05-2010, 12:29 PM

I think that people need to be aware of them and I believe authorities should keep an eye on them in case they get violent.

However. They are using these strategies to build publicity and notoriety. Under no circumstances will arguing or debating work. They aren't interested in proving their point or convincing anyone of anything. They are trying to intimidate people and make them uncomfortable. I think it's best to defuse them by responding with stony silence and focusing on efforts that promote peace and tolerance.
#13 of 40 Old 09-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
I think that people need to be aware of them and I believe authorities should keep an eye on them in case they get violent.

However. They are using these strategies to build publicity and notoriety. Under no circumstances will arguing or debating work. They aren't interested in proving their point or convincing anyone of anything. They are trying to intimidate people and make them uncomfortable. I think it's best to defuse them by responding with stony silence and focusing on efforts that promote peace and tolerance.
I agree with this. I know it's small potatoes, but when I was in high school a local church organized a book burning for the Harry Potter series. It was mostly a way to get their name out there and make it stick in everyone's mind.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#14 of 40 Old 09-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:

I agree with not engaging/debating but I do think it is important for the community to say: Our community believes in tolderance and peace. We do not condone hate.

Silence can often be interpretted as agreement/approval or indifference.

#15 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/09/06/flo...ex.html?hpt=T2

This article talks about what could possibly happen to our troops overseas if this church goes through with the book burning. It makes me sick to my stomach there is no tolerance I would think if these people at this church want to make a statement, they shouldn't burn the book, they should support our troops in someway to make THEM stronger... not more prone to serious attacks from the Taliban.

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#16 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 AM

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#17 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is a CHRISTIAN church that's gonna do this?! Whatever happened to "love your enemies"?! They'll just look like hypocrites and fools and the possible repercussions...

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#18 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM

I e-mailed the pastor of the church... wondering if I will get a reply! If I do, I will post it!

Kourtney, happily married to my soldier and raising ds 7/08 .... dd 7/10..... and ds 11/11

#19 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 PM

I love the minister's idea of reading from the Quaran. I had just been thinking it would be great for lots of people to show up at the church with hoses and just spray water. People could spray water all over the country too. Honestly it sounds cheesy compared with the awfulness of the act, but it would be peaceful, dramatic and easy for people to do.
#20 of 40 Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Keeping it peaceful is the key. Don't stoop to this church's level.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#21 of 40 Old 09-09-2010, 04:01 PM

When people do this I figure out what charity is the polar opposite of what they believe and make a donation in their "honor". Then, sometime, I let them know.

It is slactivism but its about all I can do right now.

I'm on lots of wacky mailing lists now.
#22 of 40 Old 09-09-2010, 06:57 PM

There is breaking news....it might be cancelled. There is conflicting reports right now.

#23 of 40 Old 09-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Yeah, I've been reading it all.... so he is only going to cancel if IF the mosque location is changed? So stupid.

I saw that the Chaplain who is running for parliament overseas called forth to murder American babies if this church goes through with burning the books.

Truly a sad situation, one hate crime only leads to another.

#24 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post
Yeah, I've been reading it all.... so he is only going to cancel if IF the mosque location is changed? So stupid.

I saw that the Chaplain who is running for parliament overseas called forth to murder American babies if this church goes through with burning the books.

Truly a sad situation, one hate crime only leads to another.
Yeah.

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#25 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 01:51 PM

I would call the church and express my displeasure.

I'd look for some counter protest to join, and if there was none I would approach our local pastor about it. I would be thinking of something along the lines of a quiet prayer vigil, rather than a rowdy protest.

There is another side to this that bothers me though. Christian Bibles are regularly burned, along with whole church buildings, in other parts of the world, and this does not garner national attention, or violent street protests. There is very little activism geared towards protecting and helping them, and certainly no front-page stories and presidential invovlement. This one looney with his congregation of 50 is an attention-seeker, and the attention he's gotten has fed his ego, just as the flag burning and "Death to Christians" protests have boosted his ideas that Islam is violent. I think it's shameful all the way around, and it's a never-ending cycle of violence and broken relationships that hurts my heart. I don't care what religion people are, there is no excuse for *any* of this behavior--book burning, flag burning, calls for violence.
#26 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
There is another side to this that bothers me though. Christian Bibles are regularly burned, along with whole church buildings, in other parts of the world, and this does not garner national attention, or violent street protests. There is very little activism geared towards protecting and helping them, and certainly no front-page stories and presidential invovlement. This one looney with his congregation of 50 is an attention-seeker, and the attention he's gotten has fed his ego, just as the flag burning and "Death to Christians" protests have boosted his ideas that Islam is violent. I think it's shameful all the way around, and it's a never-ending cycle of violence and broken relationships that hurts my heart. I don't care what religion people are, there is no excuse for *any* of this behavior--book burning, flag burning, calls for violence.
Dh raised this point last night. He said that soldiers were told to collect and burn all of their Bibles overseas because it might be offensive to have them around...but most people don't know that.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#27 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Let's keep this thread focused on counter-activism to this event, if it does happen.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#28 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
Let's keep this thread focused on counter-activism to this event, if it does happen.
Could we start a thread in Spirituality or something? (not all of us can comment in N&CE)

#29 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Administrator

No, I'm afraid that if one was started in Spirituality, it would get moved to N&CE. It is a news story, and it belongs in N&CE.

I am not moving this thread, I just would like for it to stay on topic for the Activism forum.

#30 of 40 Old 09-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
No, I'm afraid that if one was started in Spirituality, it would get moved to N&CE. It is a news story, and it belongs in N&CE.

I am not moving this thread, I just would like for it to stay on topic for the Activism forum.
I didn't think you'd move it. There's just so much more to discuss!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page