Federal Judge Overturns Ban on California Same Sex Marriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Personally, I'm doing the happy dance

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#2 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
#3 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I haven't read the article. I'm sure some people are unhappy because they feel like it damages the democratic process, but this is one of those things I see as a civil right's issue, so I'm happy about it.
#4 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Very happy to read the decision.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 09:33 PM

SO happy. The moment I heard this news is one I'll tell my daughter about when she grows up - the moment that society shifted even closer to full eqality for all Americans.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#6 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Yeah, seriously. If we went with majority opinion, women probably still couldn't vote and black people would still be slaves and/or not be able to vote. So Poohy to the silly majority. Sometimes the majority is *WRONG*!!
#7 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM

About time!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#8 of 17 Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well it isn't over yet, so I am cautiously optimistic. It will certainly be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, and I may be wrong, but I don't think a same sex couple can marry until the appeals process is complete, which may take years, assuming the final ruling upholds this judge's decision.

Does anyone know the legal status of the couples who already married in California? Are they now consider married again?

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
#9 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 AM

I hope it continues like this all the way to the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmama View Post
Does anyone know the legal status of the couples who already married in California? Are they now consider married again?
The people who got married before the law turned had done so lawfully therefore, the marriages were always recognized by the state even after prop. 8 passed.
#10 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

I am happy for my state today. And I think it's totally following the process-- it was all very sound. We still have a ways to go but this is a Great Day. I am thinking of telling grandbabies about it kind of great. Many tears of joy among friends here today.
#11 of 17 Old 08-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Yay! Its wonderful to see the system work how its supposed to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

I haven't read the article. I'm sure some people are unhappy because they feel like it damages the democratic process, but this is one of those things I see as a civil right's issue, so I'm happy about it.
Read the decision from the district court - its long but so well worth it. Everyone keeps saying it will get taken to the 9th circuit, but it seems like there was no arguments or at least clear & convincing ones made by the defendants.

As for folks believing this damages the democratic process - pshstts. This is exactly what happens when you pass legistation that is in conflict with the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#12 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 05:23 PM

And the judge just lifted the stay on gay marriages. Couples will be able to marry starting August 18th.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#13 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 06:08 PM

I was just coming to post this update too!

We were one of the lucky 18,000 couples to get married before the Prop H8 vote and I'm so glad that many many thousands more will soon be joining us!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#14 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM

#15 of 17 Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good news!
#16 of 17 Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM

BOO on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals! Now no gay marriages can take place. But they are moving their decision up to December. So sad.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

#17 of 17 Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
BOO on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals! Now no gay marriages can take place. But they are moving their decision up to December. So sad.
A lot of experts are saying this is actually a good thing for the gay community. They do not believe that the Prop 8 supporters will be able to argue why the measure should stay in place. PLUS, the Prop 8 people plan to argue that gay marriage is wrong because it gets in the way of "responsible procreation." I'm sorry, but that argument will be eaten alive.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page