Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38973757/

Breaking News.

Quote:
GRAND ISLE, La. — An offshore oil rig exploded Thursday in the Gulf of Mexico, and the Coast Guard was responding to reports of people in the water.

The explosion sparked a fire aboard the oil rig, owned by Mariner Energy. It occurred west of the site of the April blast that caused the massive BP oil spill.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM

According to the Coast Guard the rig was not in production, so hopefully there will be no spill associated with this.

Colclough told CNN that authorities are trying to determine the cause of the blast, and that the platform apparently is still on fire. Asked whether a leak has resulted from the explosion, he said the structure "was not actively producing any product."
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank goodness it wasn't in production.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
While it is an unspeakably good thing that it was not in production, can someone remind me again why this continues?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

um because oil and gas are what has created our industrialized society.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
While it is an unspeakably good thing that it was not in production, can someone remind me again why this continues?
I know what you mean. It will be interesting to know the details on what the heck happened to cause this explosion.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
um because oil and gas are what has created our industrialized society.
Stepping in here and assuming....

I think she might be referring to why another oil rig has exploded. Not on why we are drilling for oil.

But again, that is how I am interpeting her response.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Stepping in here and assuming....

I think she might be referring to why another oil rig has exploded. Not on why we are drilling for oil.

But again, that is how I am interpeting her response.

Basically, yes. It was more out of frustration. I know we are not ready to not be reliant on oil... not by a long shot. It made me think back when Obama tried to put a moratorium on deep water drilling after the previous explosion and people were all up in arms and he was overturned. If I remember correctly, the reason for the over turning was that the judge felt (paraphrasing greatly here) that just because it happened once, does not mean that the whole industry is irresponsible and inept... and then.... hello!

And people are still going to be crying foul at ceasing offshore drilling... thats what I was referring to...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Unbelievable I live on the Gulf Coast--whether or not this one is leaking--this is really scary.

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM

UPDATE: Mile long oil sheen spotted over second explosion

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38973757/ns/us_news-life/

Mother is the word for God on the hearts and lips of all little children--William Makepeace Thackeray
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Yeah, I saw our Governor Bobby Jindal giving a press conference about the sheen. He also said that the rig had 2 delivery pipes one of which hadn't been used in awhile now ( can;t remember how long he saisd) and one that was. Very frustrating that we might be facing yet another spill.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Basically, yes. It was more out of frustration. I know we are not ready to not be reliant on oil... not by a long shot. It made me think back when Obama tried to put a moratorium on deep water drilling after the previous explosion and people were all up in arms and he was overturned. If I remember correctly, the reason for the over turning was that the judge felt (paraphrasing greatly here) that just because it happened once, does not mean that the whole industry is irresponsible and inept... and then.... hello!

And people are still going to be crying foul at ceasing offshore drilling... thats what I was referring to...
I realized after I posted and then logged off that you might have meant just the explosion.

This one is not a deep water well, which are the only ones that were effected by the supposed moratorium. Although the moratorium really wasn't anyway, with all the loop holes it had and the fact that they still approved new drilling while it was in effect before it it was overturned. It was clearly just a political maneuver when you have all these exceptions to the "moratorium".
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
Yeah, I saw our Governor Bobby Jindal giving a press conference about the sheen. He also said that the rig had 2 delivery pipes one of which hadn't been used in awhile now ( can;t remember how long he saisd) and one that was. Very frustrating that we might be facing yet another spill.
Agreed. I am thankful they have picked up the people that were on the platform.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM

Even if it remains small, this is still another oil spill. And the downside to shallow water rigs is that if they spill, the oil is very close to shore...

Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 PM

At least no one died, I haven't heard anything else about the person they took to the hospital.

User Tag List