Times Magazine Cover: Why Israel doesn't care about peace - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
X-posted in the Jewish Tribe forum

Have any of you seen the Times cover for the most recent Time magazine issue? I saw it today in the grocery store it made me feel very uncomfortable. Here is a link to the article and the cover photo, http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16...100913,00.html

Ima Sophie + D + J =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
The link does not work.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16...100913,00.html
That should work

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#4 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 09:28 AM

I don't usually read Time, but did you read the article? I did when I clicked the link. They are talking about the "man on the street" and how they are out busy living their lives on a daily basis and not focusing on these peace talks at the White House. They also cite a poll that was done asking people what is most important to them ( paraphrasing, because I can't remember the exact wording) and where on the list peace fell. It wasn't number 1 or 2.

#5 of 6 Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I did read the article I felt it was written in a very biased way, and that it was inflammatory. The article made the Israeli Jews appear cold and unfeeling. I don't find polls to mean that much, how many people did they poll, what were the age ranges, sexes they just don't give a true picture IMO.

Ima Sophie + D + J =
#6 of 6 Old 09-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think the end of the article - the last two paragraphs summed up Isreal overall. People may like to tell themselves that peace 'doesn't matter', but I don't believe it. And I doubt they really believe it either. Sometimes people lie to themselves, lie to each other. And I think thats whats going on here.

There was a guy in my spanish classes when I was in Spain from Isreal, and he told me something that I did not know before and have not seen pointed out before. In Isreal *everyone* has to join the army/airforce/whatever for a time right out of high school. I think its 5 years - from 18-23 yrs your in the armed forces. After that, if you want you can leave and do other things, but for those 5 years out of high school thats what you do. Thats why you'll never meet an Isreali outside isreal between 18/19-23/24 yrs old. You just won't, cause' they're occupied.

And so, everyone knows someone in the army - everyone has a son or daughter or brother or sister or aunt or uncle or cousin or niece or nephew or gandson/granddaughter in the army. Everyone. Which means that everyone pays at least a smidge of attention to the war/peace talks. Because everone knows *someone* close to them, who is in danger.
merpk likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page