resturant serving breastmilk icecream UPDATE it's been confiscated! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12569011

I wonder how popular it will be. My first thought was is it really organic, wouldn't the women have to have completely organic diets for them to be able to claim that? I don't know anyone who has a 100% organic diet.

I don't know if I'd try it though, I've tasted my own milk many times but it would still feel a bit odd to try someone elses. I've also donated milk to a hospital milk bank which seems a better use than making icecream.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12615353

Two complaints and the council have confiscated the ice cream to make sure its safe. They say they are screening the donors and pasteurising the milk, assuming that's true (and I have no reason not to believe it) it should be safe. Milk banks use the same techniques and give the milk to the tiniest babies!

I guess if there aim was to get people talking they are achieving it.

Huh. Interesting. Can't say I'm too surprised. You can put BHA, BHT, nitrates, nitrites, my latest favourite azodicarbonamide (wiki it), etc. But breastmilk? NO WAY!

#32 of 32 Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eavesdrop View Post

Is it vegan?

I think it depends on how you define vegan.  If you don't think it is exploiting the human animal that produces it, then I could see a vegan eating it.  But maybe you'd want the mother to have a vegan diet, or there would be issues with it because of feeling like it was taking breastmilk from children, or something.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page