2nd Grader Pepper-Sprayed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42450458#42450458

Thankfully, at the end it says that Aiden is now going to a school for children with behavioral problems.

I can't believe that the mom is taking the kid on National TV.  I would want to deal with it, yes, but it seems like it would open him up to a lot more negativity from the surrounding community.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Sad.  Students like this need positive behavior supports before going into a rage.  Afterward the rec is to clear the room.  He can't hurt anyone except himself of course if no-one else is in there.  He probably does need a different setting since staff at that school clearly can not handle him.  It is unfortunate, he was already in a "self-contained" classroom, now he must be in a nonpublic day school (or day treatment) program.  Good luck to the family.

#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

It sounds like the room actuallly had been cleared of other kids.  I also didn't understand what the "hurry" was. 

I was really surprised to hear that the child has no diagnosed issues but is still that violent (sharpening a stick so if the teacher came back he would have a weapon).

#4 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM

At least they didn't taser him. Seriously, there *has* to be a better way to deal with an 8 year old!

lotusdebi likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Anecdotally, my mom teaches second grade in an inner-city school, and her elementary school had half a dozen weapons confiscated last week.  One of the second graders brought a six-inch knife in "to cut" a classmate (I quote).  No diagnosis there - it was just how society/the neighborhood/whoever was teaching kids how to deal with interpersonal issues.  Violence happens a lot there, even in kids without any diagnoses.  :(  It makes me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

I was really surprised to hear that the child has no diagnosed issues but is still that violent (sharpening a stick so if the teacher came back he would have a weapon).

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#6 of 6 Old 04-07-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post

Anecdotally, my mom teaches second grade in an inner-city school, and her elementary school had half a dozen weapons confiscated last week.  One of the second graders brought a six-inch knife in "to cut" a classmate (I quote).  No diagnosis there - it was just how society/the neighborhood/whoever was teaching kids how to deal with interpersonal issues.  Violence happens a lot there, even in kids without any diagnoses.  :(  It makes me sad.

That is both sad and scary.  It breaks my heart to think of a 7 year old who feels like their only option is to try to attack someone with a knife :(

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page