Hey Canadians! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for?
Progressive Conservatives 2 6.90%
Federal Liberals 6 20.69%
New Democrats 16 55.17%
Green Party 3 10.34%
Bloc Quebecois 1 3.45%
Animal Alliance-Environmental 0 0%
Canadian Action 0 0%
Christian Heritage 0 0%
Communist Party 0 0%
Libertarian Party 0 0%
Marxist-Leninist 0 0%
People's Political Power 0 0%
Pirate 0 0%
Progressive Canadian 0 0%
Rhinoceros Party 0 0%
United 0 0%
Western Block 0 0%
I'm from the US but I wanted to vote anyway! 1 3.45%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreemama View Post

Rats. When I woke up this morning, I realized we still have a Conservative majority. I was hoping maybe it was a big bad dream.

What do we do now?

Separate from the rest of Canada...

What's more Canadian than threatening to separate?

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#62 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 AM

I'm trying really hard to focus on how well the NDP did and that Elizabeth May won her seat.  Trying even harder to not picture Harper's smug face this morning. 

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#63 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 AM

Harper has always reminded me of a cold, dead fish. It's unnatural to look so grey. 

I am so, SO happy for Elizabeth May!

It's funny, I was watching CBC's online streaming of the election results and they were acting like Jack Layton was the winner. I actually had moments during his speech where I forgot that he hadn't won. No one seemed very excited about the Conservative win, Jack was getting all the attention. lol.gif

As for a surge of Separatism in Quebec.... I'm not so sure about that. I think the fact that there was such an overwhelming NDP win (even if they didn't get in) shows that maybe they're interested in something else besides separating from Canada. I've noticed less anti Canada/english in recent years (except from those who are hardcore about it). This gives me hope. 

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#64 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Okay, HeatherAtHome, I'm ready to hear any and all expressions of hope now, though I am still in shock and grieving. I guess I've always had some compassion for the separatist movement, if not understanding. I don't know enough about it to comment about it a lot, but I've never felt the BQ was my nemesis the way I do feel the Conservatives are. I grew up English speaking and living in Ontario and I do remember the really bad days of tension, though and I imagine I'd have a different (and much more sophisticated) analysis as an Anglophone in Quebec.

We stand for social programs, diversity, gender inclusiveness and equal human rights, demilitarization, corporate accountability, the absolute prioritization of environmental concerns....And I think all these things would be GOOD for the economy. So I don't belong ANYWHERE within this government.

It's hard to know what to say to dd. She is 7, but she asks lots of questions about this and tries to follow our conversations. We talk about politics a lot at our house and I worry that we are brainwashing our daughter with our beliefs. How is she supposed to feel when, like a PP, many of her friends' parents voted Conservative and we are MOURNING today? I don't just disagree with the conservatives, I feel like they are WRONG. I can't accept them as democratically elected at all and it's just "differences of opinion." I can't teach that to dd. Well, she knows Harper got in because lots of people voted for him. But it gets trickier trying to explain things like proportional representation and all that. She says we just won't follow their rules and we'll do the exact opposite of what they say. No surprise there. But I do need to have a talk (maybe with myself first) about "respecting others' beliefs" and all that, especially considering her friends and her school. But how do I "respect" them? This will take so much soul searching.

#65 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Separate from the rest of Canada...

What's more Canadian than threatening to separate?

Haha! Exactly! I've always thought a Bloc Vancouver Island was in order. If we would just quit building big houses on our farmland, we could be completely independent.

To tell you the truth, Canada always seems ready to fly apart at the seams.It's a HUGE country, with vastly different geographical, economic, cultural & political differences. There's Quebec, that already has different rules than everyone else, plus the First Nations -- little patches of sovereign nations dotted throughout the country. Personally, I think it's just a matter of time before we become a congregation of smaller countries. It may take a while, probably won't happen in my lifetime, but down the road a bit, definitely.

And yeah, regarding the Harper majority: greensad.gif and angry.gif and dizzy.gif. I blame old people, lol (only kind of kidding). That 18 - 25 cohort seriously needs to dust off their polling pencils and VOTE! The country would change if they did. 

#66 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

And yeah, regarding the Harper majority: greensad.gif and angry.gif and dizzy.gif. I blame old people, lol (only kind of kidding). That 18 - 25 cohort seriously needs to dust off their polling pencils and VOTE! The country would change if they did. 

I doubt it's that simple. The "old people" who voted Conservative this time are probably the same ones who have been voting Conservative for most of their adult lives. I know lots of those. When something changes like this, I don't think it's as simple as "blame old people". First of all, I think a lot of people really absorbed Harper's "I'm the reason our economy wasn't hammered as hard as most others" message, and that's something people care about a lot. And, I suspect some people are just tired of having so many elections and thought the conservatives were the best choice to get a majority government.

As for young people...ds1 didn't vote, because he turned 18 in late March, and he and I both thought at that time that the voting age was 19 (memory blip on my part, as 19 is "legal" in BC, and I think he thought I knew what I was talking about). By the time we realized he could vote, he didn't feel that he had time to find out enough about the party's to make an informed vote. However, several of his friends voted, and I'm pretty sure two of them voted conservative, because that's what their parents vote. There's really no guarantee that getting the 18-25s out there would make things tilt left. I've known lots of young people who just keep voting the family's party line.

And...most of the people I know who didn't vote are in their 30s and 40s. They didn't want any of them, so they just didn't vote for anyone.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#67 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post
. That 18 - 25 cohort seriously needs to dust off their polling pencils and VOTE! The country would change if they did. 

I think they did. I think might have helped contribute to Layton passing the Liberals.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#68 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm also in mourning today.  How did this happen??  I've only talked 2 people who voted conservative so far:  one did because 'oh well I always have' although she couldn't actually tell me anything about their current platform.  Another just said 'why mess with a good thing'  wtf???  Nobody seems to care about all the REASONS that Harper should be out.  When I try and explain they just shrug it off or say 'oh every party has issues'.  Seriously??? 

I would be surprised if a lot of youth actually did vote.  No offence to any young mdc'ers but imo the youth are a bit flaky.  Jumping on the 'vote mob' bandwagon but not actually showing up to vote.  And, yes, there is also the problem of younger crowds just doing what their parents do. 

GRRR!!  This is just so frustrating and I'm driving myself crazy trying to wrap my head around wth people are thinking? 

I want to cry. 

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09
#69 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I think they did. I think might have helped contribute to Layton passing the Liberals.

That's what I was thinking.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#70 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Question for you all: Did you vote yes for Proportional Representation a couple of years ago? PR would have stopped a majority PC win yesterday.
#71 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

Question for you all: Did you vote yes for Proportional Representation a couple of years ago? PR would have stopped a majority PC win yesterday.

I don't remember having a vote for that at all. We had a vote for STV (single transferable vote) here in BC a while back, but I don't remember a federal one...or was that federal? Crap - I've forgotten which election that was. I voted for it, whichever one it was.

MusicianDad likes this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#72 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM

We are in Nova Scotia and neither DH or I remember having a chance to vote on this. We definitely would have voted in favour of proportional representation. Another important issue that's probably effectively off the agenda for the next 4 years. I say don't rush the grieving process. I'm willing to hear the "good sides," whatever they are; but I am devastated by this. Even so, I know I will mobilize to action. I have to. The question I keep asking is, do I need to get more involved with party politics? Would that help somehow? The NDP was elected in our riding. We give them as much money, both federally and provincially, as we possibly can. We volunteer during elections, we show up at the meetings and rallies. But our energies are spent on building our local food co-op and that takes tons of time. I am also very involved in our church's KAIROS social justice and peace group. I try to fundraise for things with my friends and neighbours. There are so many things I care about, but they all feel threatened right now. I don't know what to throw my energies into.

#73 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I haven't looked at the national results per riding, but I actually think it was Quebec that had the most to do with the NDP opposition status. I don't know if my 20 year old voted. I did nag her a bit, but she didn't respond so I suspect she did not. 

#74 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 02:05 PM

IT'S TIME TO GET ANGRY! GET INVOLVED WITH A GRASSROOTS MOVEMENT AND GET YOUR VOICE HEARD. DO NOT BE SILENCED, OVERLOOKED, OPPRESSED, MARGINALIZED OR PRIVATIZED. SORRY FOR THE ALLCAPS, BUT I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS. irked.gif

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#75 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM

)

#76 of 76 Old 05-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

We voted yes for the STV a few years ago (6?) but I remember a lot of people I knew voted no because they didn't realize what it was.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page