Hey Canadians! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Who are you going to vote for?
Progressive Conservatives 2 6.90%
Federal Liberals 6 20.69%
New Democrats 16 55.17%
Green Party 3 10.34%
Bloc Quebecois 1 3.45%
Animal Alliance-Environmental 0 0%
Canadian Action 0 0%
Christian Heritage 0 0%
Communist Party 0 0%
Libertarian Party 0 0%
Marxist-Leninist 0 0%
People's Political Power 0 0%
Pirate 0 0%
Progressive Canadian 0 0%
Rhinoceros Party 0 0%
United 0 0%
Western Block 0 0%
I'm from the US but I wanted to vote anyway! 1 3.45%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought we needed a little non-US politics on here so I've decided to start a fairly useless poll.

Who you gonna vote for?

Um, I don't think most of these are even on the ballot... like ever, but I saw that I had 20 answers I could provide and decided to put every Canadian federal political party I could think of up there. Have fun!

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM

What was that party with Doug Henning at the helm? Late 70s/early 80s? Something about levitation in the platform? The Natural something party maybe? 

I didn't check anything because I'm not sure who I'll vote for. I usually vote NDP, but I'm stuck this year between NDP, Green & (omg, can't believe this one), Liberal. The Liberal is more because I just kind of like Iggy, and also I feel that Harper's reign should be over and the Liberals are our only real chance at this. It would be awesome if Elizabeth May could be our new PM, but never going to happen. I don't think they even have enough candidates across the country. And the NDP, probably also never going to happen, so at that point you're just vote-splitting, ensuring either a Conservative majority (please no) or yet another minority gov't. I don't know though. I'll probably end up voting with my heart rather than my head. 

I'd vote Communist if I could ;) Or even Bloc...but for some reason, they don't run in BC. Hmmm. 

Old 04-12-2011, 11:53 AM

Ha ha, I see the NDP has 100 percent of the vote. If only. Or the Greens would be great, too.

I looked up who I could vote for around here and I was hoping I'd see the Peace Party or something, but nope. I guess the Greens are closest to that. Dh and I run the risk at this point of being NDP lifers, party hacks. Problem is, we are passionately anti-NATO and live in a military town. We are upset with the NDP's support of military intervention in Lybia so early on. We think they did it because they're already perceived as anti-military and they knew an election being called. Yuck. There's so much about the NDP I admire, I just want a party to STAY on the left, dammit! So if there had been a Peace Party, we would probably have crossed the floor to that. As it stands, NDP it is.

Oh, we are in Nova Scotia with a provincial NDP government. I think they're doing okay.

Isn't the big debate tonight?

Old 04-12-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post

What was that party with Doug Henning at the helm? Late 70s/early 80s? Something about levitation in the platform? The Natural something party maybe? 

That's the natural law party of Canada, they dissolved in 2003 though. So no voting for a levitating Prime Minister.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

BTW the natural law party is listed as having been "Pro-transcendental Meditation". om.gif

Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM

Wow, I can't believe they were a party until 2003! As a kid, I loved those Doug Henning (I *think* I'm remembering his name correctly) specials on the CBC. If he were running, I'd vote for him. We listened, with one ear, to the leader's debates this afternoon on the radio. I'm disappointed they didn't let Elizabeth May participate. We're going to elect another minority gov't, aren't we?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

I think so. I'm partial to minority governments though. It helps keep things in balance so one party just do whatever they feel like. Imagine Harper not having at least the Liberal to answer to.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM

I'd rather have a majority -- just not the Conservatives! If we do have another minority, I'd rather just leave it for a while. I was shocked to hear what the elections cost the taxpayer, and we've had quite a few in recent years. At least the campaigning is limited to 5 weeks!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was doing some research because I found out the Christian Heritage Party has a candidate running in our district. I'm starting to think the Conservatives aren't as scary as I though.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I like the Green's environmental platform but I do not like their social policies  - or lack of them. In an ideal situation I would vote NDP but in my riding that will never get anywhere so I would rather vote Liberal and do something to unseat Harper and give the Conservatives a reality check.

The split among all alternatives to the Conservatives scare me. It is how they won a minority government last time and I fear it will be the same or worse again.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not so sure that will happen this time though, a lot of people who usually vote Conservative have been very unhappy with the party this time around, I do feel like there will most likely be a Liberal minority at least. Just because many of the disenfranchised Conservatives will vote for the next best thing this time around. People in Canada tend to blame the entire party when a leader doesn't do well, or in the case of Harper "adjusts" the rules. After Martin, Liberals split their vote between the NDP and Conservatives.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Everyone gearing up for the election? Will the NDP surge hold?

Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 PM

We recently moved and I don't know the candidates in our new riding well at all. I normally vote green although I really personally liked the Liberal MP we had in our last riding and would have had no trouble voting for him to keep out a Harper government.

Our new riding is solidly conservative (ba!) and so the best hope here is to vote liberal although I highly doubt it will make a difference here. Not so sure about the local candidate - he looks pretty inexperienced generally and what little I have read about him makes me wonder if he's got what it takes.

I've never lived in a place so solidly conservative - I find it a bit disconcerting that my vote may not "count".  I'm having trouble getting involved/engaged this year as a result and I am normally a politicaly junky.  I haven't decided if I will vote Liberal and hope or vote my heart.

I don't know that the NDP surge will translate into a huge difference in the seat count of the left vs right. I think it will just result in more vote splitting and really hope it doesn't end up giving the Harper government more seats than they deserve. I'm not a huge Jack fan and am not confident the NDP will do a very good job managing the economy. 

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 04-29-2011, 09:32 PM

We mostly are just decided on not Harper.  I keep listening to CBC Radio One hoping for some sort of divine inspiration.  My particular riding runs very conservative, though Nova Scotia as a whole is quite supportive of the NDP.  I could start worrying about vote splitting and stuff, but in the end it's hard to tell if any voting stategies work.  I think I'm probably voting with my gut and going NDP. 

I have a funny story about the Natural Law party.  They  were in my first election and I was feeling very anarchistic and like the best thing would be a political party who did the least possible (Oh the logic of an 18 year old).  The funny thing was that there I was working as a bilingual receptionist for Elections Canada and squirming under the praise of those saying how I was supporting civic duty!

Busy keeping up with three children and an awful lot of chickens!

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 AM

My husband has had personal dealings with the various parties and I have friends that work in parliament. Based on that, the opinions are that the Conservations are really, really bad (evil for lack of a better term!), Ignatieff (sp?) is an idiot and not capable of running anything and while dh says Layton is a snobby jerk, he seems to be the lesser of three evils.

Frankly the government is a lot shadier than the people believe and it isn't going to get any better until someone who actually cares about the country and who isn't just power hungry steps up to the plate.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

My husband has had personal dealings with the various parties and I have friends that work in parliament. Based on that, the opinions are that the Conservations are really, really bad (evil for lack of a better term!), Ignatieff (sp?) is an idiot and not capable of running anything and while dh says Layton is a snobby jerk, he seems to be the lesser of three evils.

Frankly the government is a lot shadier than the people believe and it isn't going to get any better until someone who actually cares about the country and who isn't just power hungry steps up to the plate.

Oh, I don't think anyone is saying politicians are squeaky clean. However, it's what we have right now, we need to make the best of it. Also, the ad hominem attacks don't really help anyone. I don't care if Iggy is an idiot (and he really isn't; they don't hire you at Cambridge, Oxford & Harvard if you're an idiot) or Layton is a snob, I don't plan to have any of them over for a beer anytime soon. What really matters to me is where the party stands on the issues, and, unfortunately, there's been very little of that discussed this particular campaign.

I *am* quite interested in what is happening with the NDP in Quebec. I mean, the way we count the votes in this country, either Quebec or Ontario can make or break an election. Traditionally, Quebec is Bloc which doesn't mean much for us here in BC, but if they elect a bunch of NDP MPs, we might just have something very different this time around. I have always voted NDP. I thought about voting Green this time, as a protest vote, or even Liberal (in the assumption that I was dealing with the "Either the Conservatives or the Liberals" paradigm), but now? I think I'll just go my traditional route. 

In any case, get out and vote on Monday!

Old 04-30-2011, 07:40 AM

I think it sucks that they announce results in the east before the polls close in the west. How is that even right?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post

I think it sucks that they announce results in the east before the polls close in the west. How is that even right?

I thought that was illegal. No? There has been some discussion on the CBC of late about how to handle Twitter & Facebook members announcing results in their ridings. 

Old 04-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Also, the ad hominem attacks don't really help anyone. I don't care if Iggy is an idiot (and he really isn't; they don't hire you at Cambridge, Oxford & Harvard if you're an idiot) or Layton is a snob, I don't plan to have any of them over for a beer anytime soon.

I find it extremely relevant. I want my politicians to have some sense (I know lots of idiots that get smart jobs) and to actually care about what and who they are representing. They can promise whatever they like in the campaign but if they don't really care then there will be no follow through after.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, but just saying "the guy's an idiot" doesn't tell me very much. Now, if you said "this guy believes Canada's military should be increased 100fold and all our healthcare dollars should go on funding military campaigns" (not that anyone's saying that) that tells me a lot more. If I believe that's idiotic, OK. I would so much rather focus on the actual issues that are going to affect my life than on personality traits. 

Old 04-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:

I thought that was illegal. No? There has been some discussion on the CBC of late about how to handle Twitter & Facebook members announcing results in their ridings. 

I just know I've heard official results from the east coast before the west coast polls are shut. I'm in Ontario.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

I just know I've heard official results from the east coast before the west coast polls are shut. I'm in Ontario.

The results for an area are allowed to be posted in that area, but they can't be posted in another area. So results from the east coast can be posted on the east coast, but they can't be transmitted to the west coast until the polls close over here.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

The results for an area are allowed to be posted in that area, but they can't be posted in another area. So results from the east coast can be posted on the east coast, but they can't be transmitted to the west coast until the polls close over here.

I'm in Halifax. I want the flaming demon smiley, but I don't know where to find the smilies.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Well they can be transmitted to Ontario before B.C. closes.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Well they can be transmitted to Ontario before B.C. closes.

That's because the Ontario polls close before the BC polls close.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:55 PM

I think I can recall an election -- might be the 1984 Mulroney landslide? -- in which the results were released before BC finished because at that point it didn't matter how BC voted, he was already in with a majority. Can I put my plug here for election reform?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I think I can recall an election -- might be the 1984 Mulroney landslide? -- in which the results were released before BC finished because at that point it didn't matter how BC voted, he was already in with a majority. Can I put my plug here for election reform?

That's what I'm saying!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

That's what I'm saying!

Well they shouldn't have.

Quote:
The elections act:

Premature Transmission

Prohibition – premature transmission of results

329. No person shall transmit the result or purported result of the vote in an electoral district to the public in another electoral district before the close of all of the polling stations in that other electoral district.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're voting NDP because that's the way our riding rolls and we're pretty much an ABC (Anybody But Conservatives) household right now. If I lived 6 blocks over (Saanich-Gulf Islands) I'd totally vote for Elizabeth May. It's like a fever around here - people I know who are totally apolitical are volunteering for her campaign. 

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

Old 05-01-2011, 02:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

In my riding on vancouver island we can choose between Marxist-Lenist, Conservative, NDP, Liberal and Green.  I am not really happy with any of my options but I will vote.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

User Tag List