Mothering Forum banner

Bin Laden

21K views 411 replies 52 participants last post by  beckybird 
#1 ·
President Obama is about to make a statement, but major news outlets are reporting that Osama Bin Laden is dead.

#327 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

Pakistan was housing a terrorist...and probably had knowledge of it. If they didn't have knowledge, then they're incredibly incompetent seeing how close he was to several military installations. If they did have knowledge, they harbored a murderer and lied to the world about it. I recognize their sovereignty, but I don't think it reaches so far as to make it wrong for us to remove a murderer of thousands from their country, if they themselves are too incompetent to realize he's there or too dishonest and accepting of his violence to admit he's there. We didn't alert them and ask for permission because we realize this is either the result of dishonesty and incompetence, thus there was a chance they'd tip him off and let him escape. They are harboring a terrorist who killed thousands of citizens not just of America but of the entire world and destroyed buildings that the world had a stake in. Their sovereignty doesn't trump everything else at stake here.
Does their sovereignty trump the right to send a drone to kill about twenty-five people in Pakistan a week before going in after Bin Laden? Does it trump the right to have gone in and killed ten more today? Or the hundreds upon hundreds that have been killed in the same manner over the past number of years? We haven't asked permission for that, either. America's relationship to Pakistani sovereignty doesn't begin and end with Bin Laden, by any stretch. For American militaristic behavior this was not a case of special circumstances.

#328 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post

any links?

Sadly not. What happened was that i got up, turned on the news, watched a news report about it all, went about my day (i'm in the UK so no parties for that here, though a lot of folk were still going nuts about the Royal Wedding which, yawn, i didn't see).

Anyway a day later i was talking to my father and he was going on about the luxury Bin Laden was living in with his wives and i was like "what? It was like 6 tiny pre-fab shacks with a chainlink fence round it!" and he was like "No, Becca, it's a modern villa!" and i turned on the news again and bob was my uncle, there was a completely different-looking place.

I can't find any footage of what i saw that first time. Oh well. Could have possibly been that the news people had the wrong location, or something.

#329 ·
Quote:

Banks explain it as a charge for providing a "service" that didn't result in any money making it into their bank; it's basically a charge for the "work" of processing the check...but that should be charged to whoever wrote it.
Well that`s funny, I`m sure I don`t get charged $50 every time I cash a good check, and they take processing too.

#332 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatullah0 View Post

OK, how does a bank earn interest on, say, my paycheck?
They use the money that's supposedly "in" people's accounts. That's one of the reasons why a rush on the bank is such a scary thing. They simply don't have the money to cash out everyone's accounts, if people should all show up wanting it.

#333 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

They use the money that's supposedly "in" people's accounts. That's one of the reasons why a rush on the bank is such a scary thing. They simply don't have the money to cash out everyone's accounts, if people should all show up wanting it.
Yeah but because they are using my money they don't get interest on my money, I do. They get interest when I borrow money from them.

#334 ·
We have it all invested in various ways. Also, we can loan your money out to other people, and then of course earn interest off of those loans. We just have to keep track of how much we owe you and make sure you get it when you ask for it. I don't understand the complexities of it but we earn more interest on it than we deposit into your accounts. Most free checking accounts do not come with interest, unless you carry a high balance. And, even for the most affluent clients, the rates have been rather low for 2-3 years now.

#335 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Yeah but because they are using my money they don't get interest on my money, I do. They get interest when I borrow money from them.
Ok, that's what I was thinking, I just couldn't figure out how to connect the two. The scenario I was thinking was "I deposit my paycheck, then use it almost immediately, how the heck does the bank make money off of THAT?" So I guess the answer is, they don't?

#336 ·
If you spend it ASAP I doubt they have much of a chance to make money off of it, but like I said, I don't understand the complexities of it. I just know kind of the basic idea behind it. That part of banking isn't really what I do. I'm going to ask about it at work now though.

#337 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

They get interest/a return on the investments they make with your money.

#339 ·
I'm sorry! Let's go back to bin Laden. What did you think about the videos? They were like "Look at this haggard, vain man" I was like? What? Vain? If I was the world's most wanted terrorist I'd want to see the news updates about that situation too! I'm glad they didn't release the audio... but they were saying he was living in luxury. Now they are saying he lived in squalor? I thought they were burning their trash and now I see it's all over the floor?

#340 ·
Quote:

I'm sorry! Let's go back to bin Laden. What did you think about the videos? They were like "Look at this haggard, vain man" I was like? What? Vain? If I was the world's most wanted terrorist I'd want to see the news updates about that situation too! I'm glad they didn't release the audio... but they were saying he was living in luxury. Now they are saying he lived in squalor? I thought they were burning their trash and now I see it's all over the floor?
link?

#342 ·
You're talking about real video, right? I saw an animation today of SEALS in a doorway(bedroom?) and bin laden standing behind and to the side of his wife.

My SIL said that al-qaeda is saying that bin laden is NOT dead, and that there will be revenge. Anyone else hear that? All I've got to go off of is internet news, and Pakistani TV news in Urdu(that I don't understand.... my Urdu skills are limited to simpler conversation)

#343 ·
Quote:

I've watched the first 5 sec so far(really sucky connection!) and my reaction is pretty much like this:

headscratch.gif
confused.gif
headscratch.gif
confused.gif
headscratch.gif
confused.gif
headscratch.gif
confused.gif
headscratch.gif
headscratch.gif
headscratch.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
and, "Why would someone even record something like that
headscratch.gif
?"

The skeptic in me says it's fake, but
shrug.gif
I don't know that it matters anyways. I'm 99% sure the purpose of releasing the videos would be to influence opinions.

The article(the Sun) made me laugh, due to language use. I will probably have to go back and read it again, because the ridiculously potent(and sometimes inappropriate, IMO) language that they used in the article made me focus more on the language usage than the information presented(if any? I'll have to go read it again) Ah, gotta love emotional pieces..... But I'm thinking that the whole thing is about invoking certain emotions
shrug.gif

The other article at least serious though.

(and moonfirefaery, I'm not trying to insult you for posting the links, I really appreciate it, my connection is so bad here, it would have been hard for me to search through articles until I found one I was looking for)

ETA: sorry for posting so many times in a row :) my connection is really bad here, so I try to post before the connection dies for who knows how long

ETA: just noticed the pics to the right of the second article. regarding the second pic "a pakistani man reacts" I have only
eyesroll.gif
to say. Well, and maybe "Thanks for making all pakistanis look like bin laden supporters. It's really gonna help with the discrimination that american indo-paks already face."

#344 ·
They're telling us on US news that AQ has acknowledge his death and plans to avenge, or something.

Yeah, I'm not getting the spin they're trying to put on these videos. Of course he's watching news reports - they contain information that could be helpful, Sure, it could be about vanity in part, but even the least vain person would be watching the news. Does the US not have intelligence agents scouring the news in enemy countries (and probably friendly ones) for information that could be strategically valuable?

And it definitely wasn't lap of luxury standard of living.

#345 ·
They acknowledged his death and named him a martyr, naturally, and then they used very colorful language describing the calibre of their aspirations for our demise.

Idk what to think. To me it's just a dude watching TV. I don't see any relevance at all. No special insight into his mind or his life.

#347 ·
Bin Laden and I have the same computer desk.

I wonder how much he paid for it.

That's all I have to say about that.

I frequently use the Sun as a bank of resources for indentifying bias with my middle schoolers. My FIL tarted reading this when he was ill and we sort of knew then that things weren't looking good for him. It's a really yellow news source.

However, if the goal is to demystify this holy warrior image into one of a tired old feeble man (which many people knew already), I daresay this will blow up in their faces ( which I think is more likely the desired result, unless our public marketing staff turly is as stupid as people think...) So now we've assassinated a tired old man...that's great.

I wonder if Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton dye their hair. How vain would that be?
eyesroll.gif

I will say one thing about the second article...

"President Barack Obama has chosen not to release photos of Bin Laden's corpse, saying the United States should not brandish trophies or risk inciting the Muslim world."

If this isn't a war on religion or on a race, why did he say this? Why not inciting Al-Qaeda supporters? Why use pictures like the one Amatullah mentioned above with racially charged headings? I think The white house keeps saying it's not about race or religion, but the media keeps selling us a different story.

#348 ·
When I first opened my browser, one of the article titles on Bin Laden was "The Hideaway: Secret Top Floor, Freeze Full of Goat Meat" my first thought...

"He had an attic and food? Good for him!"

#350 ·
Is Bin Laden really dead? How can we know for sure?

I believe he died years ago. I do not believe this new fairy tale about his great murder.

I cannot believe a single word from our government or media (one in the same)......if my husband lied that much, I would have divorced him long ago!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.