Bin Laden - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#241 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 06:39 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I know what my ex husband's training was regarding those vests, and it would not be to shoot within the confines of a building. If they are going to shoot to kill (and they do) it is at range with a head shot. This is why so many children who are used as messengers have been shot, they can't allow them to get close enough to see if there is a bomb or not.   He was/is one of the 'elite' in a different branch.  


They had no choice but to shoot him within the confines of a building; that's where he was... and he did die of a head shot.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#242 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
insidevoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Moonfirefaery, 

 

Would you be supportive if you knew that the orders given had been to execute him period?  Just curious, but I suspect this is where we can't see eye to eye. 

insidevoice is offline  
#243 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM
 
meemee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Norther California
Posts: 12,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

I will always hold out hope that things will improve in the US, but it is not where we plan to raise our family in the long run. 

 


i hear you too, but i am finding it difficult to find the kind of place i'd like to raise my dd in (not that i could even if i wanted to as i coparent) but i like looking around.

 

the iraq war is not having repurcussions just in US and iraq. its affecting other countries in teh world. the cancer of xenophobia is taking over. sweden has one of the easiest immigration policy to immigrate. guess what today it is a HUGE issue there and there is a lot of hatred towards the iraquis who are seeking refuge there. now france has banned the hijab. to me it seems like almost all countries have some sort of issue going on that i disagree with. sweden has completely canged in the last 10 years. the face of europe has changed.

 

almost every continent has something that makes me not want to live there. in a sense i feel like i have no idea where to go. even siberia - has discovered oil and it looks quite different today. 


 treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
meemee is online now  
#244 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hakeber, we're not responsible for what other people choose to do. We are responsible for what we do. That others are reacting to us doesn't make us responsible for their reaction; they could have chosen differently.

I think his confession is a smoking gun. I am not shut off to the idea that Bush, being affiliated with the bin Ladens, helped the attack along. I'm not at all. But we, the American people, are responsible for punishing all involved. We know bin Laden was involved, and if we ever have more evidence that Bush was, we can try and hang him too.

Yes, we have the right to use fire power against a wanted man and anyone defended him to bring him to justice for killing thousands. We were at war with his organization, and he conspired to murder thousands on our soil by attacking a military installation and the capitol, as well as two large buildings important to the world. He admitted to the murder, then evaded capture for ten years while continuing to incite violence.

And I do question people...doesn't make me less glad there's one less terrorist in the world.

Our SEALS were ordered to take him in only if they could do so safely. They had no idea what could have been on him; I am glad they did not endanger themselves to find out, even if he turned up unarmed. Had he been armed and wounded someone or escaped, we'd have wondered why they didn't just shoot him ASAP.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#245 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidevoice View Post

Moonfirefaery, 

 

Would you be supportive if you knew that the orders given had been to execute him period?  Just curious, but I suspect this is where we can't see eye to eye. 



I would be disappointed, but accepting. I consider him a threat to national and global security and I think it is the president's obligation first to do whatever he thinks best protects the people of this country and its allies. I trust his leadership, and his judgment seems sounds to me.

lovingmommyhood likes this.

fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#246 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
insidevoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post




i hear you too, but i am finding it difficult to find the kind of place i'd like to raise my dd in (not that i could even if i wanted to as i coparent) but i like looking around.

 

the iraq war is not having repurcussions just in US and iraq. its affecting other countries in teh world. the cancer of xenophobia is taking over. sweden has one of the easiest immigration policy to immigrate. guess what today it is a HUGE issue there and there is a lot of hatred towards the iraquis who are seeking refuge there. now france has banned the hijab. to me it seems like almost all countries have some sort of issue going on that i disagree with. sweden has completely canged in the last 10 years. the face of europe has changed.

 

almost every continent has something that makes me not want to live there. in a sense i feel like i have no idea where to go. even siberia - has discovered oil and it looks quite different today. 


Much of my  family has lived internationally, though most have decided to keep the US as their 'home' and travel to live and work.  I am lucky in that we have a very easy door to relocate as I am not married to a US citizen 

insidevoice is offline  
#247 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

I think his confession is a smoking gun.


The problem with major criminal acts... You can't trust that someone did it just because they confessed. You'd be surprised how often people confess to much lesser crimes than mass murder because of some perverted ideas on how to because famous.


malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#248 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
 
insidevoice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

Quote:



I would be disappointed, but accepting. I consider him a threat to national and global security and I think it is the president's obligation first to do whatever he thinks best protects the people of this country and its allies. I trust his leadership, and his judgment seems sounds to me.



And that is where I can not see eye to eye.  That action would be blatantly against international law, and I would expect the President to be held accountable.  (Frustratingly, as in general I have been fairly impressed with him, and think he has been quote good in his role as president and done a lot to begin to heal international relationships.)  If he did make that choice however, I would be unable to find any support for his remaining in his position, or, in fact, for his not being brought up on charges. 

insidevoice is offline  
#249 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have other evidence that he's guilty, and I think his confession is legit. I don't know if Bush had any involvement.

 

I don't think it is against international law, as we weren't the only country or organization that wanted him, and I think the government has the right to act to protect its people and allies. So yes, that is a fundamental difference in our principles.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#250 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:24 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I said up thread, the legality of the action has absoloutely nothing to do with how many people/governments want it to happen. Being accepting of assassinations is a very, very slippery slope. If a country (or, hell, a concept like "terror") sends someone to assassinate one of our leaders, and succeeds, do we then just consider that a regrettable loss due to a war?
eclipse is offline  
#251 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:30 PM
 
hakeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

hakeber, we're not responsible for what other people choose to do. We are responsible for what we do. That others are reacting to us doesn't make us responsible for their reaction; they could have chosen differently.
 

But we have not been held accountible for what we have done around the world in the name of capitalism, and "democracy".  We have not been made responsible in the same ways that these people are constantly made responsible for their actions.  It is as though ONLY the developing world must learn to keep its place and the rich global north can continue to trample all over the impoverished of the world with total moral impunity because...wait...why is that? I still don't get it.  The 9/11 attacks if we are to believe they were the work of Osama (and again the so called confession tapes have been shown to be fakes, the source dubious and the figure speaking most definitely NOT Osama Bin Laden) and his gang, but more specifically more recent attacks and attempts are proclaimed to be doing EXACTLY what we did this weekend...holding responsible the people who have acted in violence and collusion against THEM.  Albeit indirectly, we individuals are responsible for the continual abuse of the impoverished people of the world.  Our obvliouness does not absolve us from responsibilty, in my humble opinion.  No one deserves to be attacked or murdered (NO ONE), but we as individuals are and should be held responsible for othe actions of our governments against peoples smaller, less heavily armed, and less richly funded than we are.  We need to stand up and demand answers and demand justice for everyone, not just the pain we feel.


I think his confession is a smoking gun. I am not shut off to the idea that Bush, being affiliated with the bin Ladens, helped the attack along. I'm not at all. But we, the American people, are responsible for punishing all involved. We know bin Laden was involved, and if we ever have more evidence that Bush was, we can try and hang him too.

 

If his confession were real, I might agree.  But I don't think it is.  If it was, UN forces would have finished this thing 10 years ago.

Yes, we have the right to use fire power against a wanted man and anyone defended him to bring him to justice for killing thousands. We were at war with his organization, and he conspired to murder thousands on our soil by attacking a military installation and the capitol, as well as two large buildings important to the world. He admitted to the murder, then evaded capture for ten years while continuing to incite violence.

 

International Law of war does not allow a STATE to declare war on a MAN or an organization unaffiliated with a state.  It is a State to state thing, and it is an act that can only be done by those who are recognized heads of state. That is why we have declared war on Iraq and on Afghanistan, but NOT Osama...Because he is not a head of State.  We are not at war with Al-Qaeda.  That is not how war works in international law.  Check out the wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_war

 

Note:

 

Quote:
In addition to this, non-state or terrorist organisations may claim to or be described as "declaring war" when engaging in violent acts.These declarations...have no legal standing in themselves....
 

 

He has come out again and again denying those "confession tapes" and denying his involvement in the towers.  Was he evading arrest or were we really not looking all that hard?  A few months ago he was "believed to be in a cave somewhere on northern border of Pakistan"...turns out he's in the burbs of a major city...c'mon!  How stupid do they think we are? 

 

Furhermore, if we respond to the illegal declaration of war upon us by a a group of armed forces made up mostly of impoverished and undereducated people manipulated by someone we believe to be an evil genius with retalliation...what does that make us?  The bully on the playground who proudly shoves down anyone who dares to  question our authority?  Even if it means playing dirty?  I'm not comfortable with that.

 

And I do question people...doesn't make me less glad there's one less terrorist in the world.

Our SEALS were ordered to take him in only if they could do so safely. They had no idea what could have been on him; I am glad they did not endanger themselves to find out, even if he turned up unarmed. Had he been armed and wounded someone or escaped, we'd have wondered why they didn't just shoot him ASAP.

 

If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. 



 

 


Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
hakeber is offline  
#252 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

We have other evidence that he's guilty, and I think his confession is legit. I don't know if Bush had any involvement.

 

I don't think it is against international law, as we weren't the only country or organization that wanted him, and I think the government has the right to act to protect its people and allies. So yes, that is a fundamental difference in our principles.


Just because other countries want it done too, doesn't mean it's within the law.

 

I would hope to god that the law doesn't allowed the US to send people into another country just to kill someone. The US already seems to think it can do what ever the hell it wants, we don't need even more arguments to support that.

 

hakeber likes this.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#253 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 08:25 PM
 
Thao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Washington state
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

Thao, I think that the common citizens that support terrorists are deceived and that terrorists themselves act primarily out of vengeance, the desire to control and to be in power, and hatred. Terrorists warp religion into a radical form that doesn't resemble the accepted dogma much at all, then they enforce that religion on others. They believe they are fighting right, but they are cruel and domineering. Others may be deceived into believe they are fighting for the right, because no one else seems to be doing it. The people in the world that celebrated 911 were terrorists and their supportors... and to celebrate the deaths of 3000 innocents, they must have been at least a little bloodthirsty. I think there are many people in the world who were blood thirsty for bin Laden, too...but at least we punished bin Laden for his crimes, not innocent people for their government's.
 

Yes, I get that you think this. I've tried to point out that things are not as simple as you think, but you are still making sweeping generalizations like "terrorists act primarily out of vengeance". I could list quite a few groups that have committed terrorist acts that did not spring from vengeance, but rather a calculated attempt to achieve a political goal (I suppose I'd start with the US and Hiroshima). But I'm thinking there's no point, as you haven't really engaged with the facts I raised above, but rather just repeated what you believe.

 

We agree, however, that a world without Osama is a better place, so let's just leave it at that. And I'd encourage you to keep researching and learning about history and foreign events.

 

Thao is offline  
#254 of 412 Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 PM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thao View Post



Yes, I get that you think this. I've tried to point out that things are not as simple as you think, but you are still making sweeping generalizations like "terrorists act primarily out of vengeance". I could list quite a few groups that have committed terrorist acts that did not spring from vengeance, but rather a calculated attempt to achieve a political goal (I suppose I'd start with the US and Hiroshima). But I'm thinking there's no point, as you haven't really engaged with the facts I raised above, but rather just repeated what you believe.

 

We agree, however, that a world without Osama is a better place, so let's just leave it at that. And I'd encourage you to keep researching and learning about history and foreign events.

 


YES please!  You are in serious need of some history lessons.  And also apparently civics.

 

Chamomile Girl is offline  
#255 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 AM
 
hakeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Given the amount of lies the American people were told about 9-11 I find it hard to believe that the people we saw celebrating after 9-11 were celebrating that at all.  Just because that's what CNN, ABC and Fox News told us those peoplewere celebrating doesn't mean it was.  It could have been footage of just about any celebration in the world.

 

I am way too skeptical of the media to believe that.


Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
hakeber is offline  
#256 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 05:10 AM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

eclipse, I am waiting while the legal scholars debate the legality of this, but I do think it is in keeping with international law. We didn't assassinate the leader of a country/nation; we assassinated the head of a terrorist organization.

hakeber, the confession tapes haven't been shown to be fakes, and 911 hasn't been proven to have been done by anyone other than bin Laden. At this time both of those theories are considered to be conspiracy theories, ones that I don't currently subscribe to. I can't follow you along this line of debate because of that. That he hid well, and probably had help from the Pakistan government, doesn't mean we just simply weren't looking for him. That's an insult to the men and women of the armed forces and intelligent agencies that have spent so many years gathering the information that finally led to his capture. We're not responding to an illegal declaration of war; we're responding to an attack on our nation by removing the threat to our national security, which we do have the legal right to do. Again, let the world punish us if not. So far it doesn't seem inclined to. I don't appreciate veiled insults over my beliefs, especially when I'm not the one buying into conspiracy theories without substantial proof; the bridge-selling comment was unnecessary and rude.

Thao, those "sweeping generalizations" have always been paired with the admission that I understand terrorists act out of other motives as well; I'd be happy to repost the several posts I've made acknowledging that, even going into detail about it, distinguishing Hamas from al Qaeda, etc. I research and learn about history and foreign events everyday. I spend my whole day at work, with the exception of busy days, reading the news, article after article. I don't appreciate the insinuation that because I disagree with you so ardently I must need to do more research and learning. I am aware of the events that led up to 9/11 and I have been paying wide-eyed attention since that day.

 

Laws are made by governments, so yes, what other governments deem legal and acceptable does have an impact on the legality of an action.

Chamomile Girl, I have taken history lessons in high school as well as civics; I'm sure I will continue these in college. I am, however, well-acquainted with history, it being one of my major interests. That I disagree with you over civics doesn't mean I don't understand civics. It means that we disagree. Again, being accused of ignorance because I disagree with you is something I don't appreciate. Even scholars of civics have debates over it; it doesn't mean one camp needs to go back to school.

I seem to be the only one remaining; the others in my "camp" seem to have given up on this debate, not that I blame them since arguments are not being based on conspiracy theories touted  as fact--and since disagreement is being met with accusations of ignorance. I'm leaving this thread now, because I don't debate with people who turn to insults--even veiled, insinuated ones--as part of their debate. "The reason we don't agree is because you just need to learn more!" doesn't fly with me. It's poor logic, a poor argument, and a poor way to handle an argument. Back up your statements with facts, not "Well, you just need to be more educated." The US does need to be held accountable for its actions, but that doesn't make 911 justified nor does it rid us of our legal right to self-defense and to punish criminals. Good day to you all.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#257 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 AM
 
hakeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If the video was not a fake, and it was viable, and the source was verifiable.  If the testimony is viable evidence and there is enough to prove his involvement...just please answer me this...

 

Why didn't the UN forces demand Pakistan hand him over sooner?  Why DIDN'T the Grand Jury indict him? 

 

If our evidence against him is so rock solid...why didn't we prove it in court instead of trying the case in the media?

 

Just answer that question and I'll let it go.


Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
hakeber is offline  
#258 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 05:55 AM
 
monkey's mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, just for kicks I (for the first time) checked out the FBI Most Wanted List the other day. Sure enough, there's Bin Laden w/ a big red "deceased" across his picture and a blurb about why we want(ed) him.

 

Know what's NOT there? Anything about 9/11. 

 

Why would that be?

 

Wouldnt' that be first thing? I mean, no offense, but "killed 3,000 innocents in WTC bombing" seems a LOT more evil and compelling than "killed 300 in USS Cole attack" (to paraphrase).

 

But it's not even mentioned. So how much of wild-eyed conspiracy are we looking at here?

 

(And I will admit that I do not know tons about this, but c'mon...)

monkey's mom is offline  
#259 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 AM
 
MusicianDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tuponia
Posts: 10,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

hakeber, the confession tapes haven't been shown to be fakes, and 911 hasn't been proven to have been done by anyone other than bin Laden.


First, hakeber wasn't just talking about the confession tapes. There were a lot of lies told about 9/11, the war in Iraq, the "evil doers", after a while most other news stations started separating fact from fiction more and more, but Fox news just kept trying to perpetuate plenty of BS.

 

Second, just because the confession tapes hadn't been faked, doesn't mean the confession is accurate. Probably one of the first things law enforcement personal learn about interrogating someone in regards to a crime is don't take a confession at face value. I mean, I think like a dozen people came forward and confessed to being the Boston Strangler back in the 60's. That is not counting DeSalvo, and his own confession has evidence against it. For all we know, Bin Laden could have simply been attempting to take credit for another person's work to boost the moral of his supporters.


malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
MusicianDad is offline  
#260 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

eclipse, I am waiting while the legal scholars debate the legality of this, but I do think it is in keeping with international law. We didn't assassinate the leader of a country/nation; we assassinated the head of a terrorist organization.


An assassination doesn't have to be of the leader of a nation. Aside from that, shooting an unarmed person is still illegal under international law, unless it is in self defense - meaning that the shooting has to happen to directly prevent immediate loss of human life. There is no evidence that this shooting meets those standards. Shooting at his wife might have met those standards, assuming that she lunged at the SEALS as has been reported - but they managed to only shoot her in the leg, which was presumably enough to bring her down and subdue her. She was just as likely as OBL to be strapped with a suicide vest and was in the same potentially booby trapped room. There has been no claim that OBL lunged at anyone, reached under his robe, or really did anything but stand there and watch his wife get shot. Maybe he did do something that the SEALS could reasonably have assumed was a danger to them, but there's not been any evidence offered to support that. In fact, there hasn't even been an explanation, a story.
eclipse is offline  
#261 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
 
Thao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Washington state
Posts: 2,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

I don't appreciate the insinuation that because I disagree with you so ardently I must need to do more research and learning.


Just to be clear: I don't think you need to do more research because you disagree with me, but rather because I see you making simplified generalizations about a very complex issue without much factual basis. Like saying that everyone who celebrated 9/11 was just in it for the vengeance, and supporting that by saying we didn't back down after Pearl Harbor so the terrorists must have know we wouldn't back down after 9/11. When I pointed out that we have sometimes backed down after being violently attacked, your response was simply to repeat what you believe.

 

Also, you didn't know about the Beirut bombing, which was a very big deal at the time, so I figured you probably have a lot of knowledge  about recent history (9/11) but maybe not so much about the long-term context.

 

But there's a lot I agree with you about - I don't think the US government was involved in 9/11, and I'm not terribly concerned about whether the operation to get OBL was an arrest operation or kill operation, because had he been arrested and tried I have no doubt but that he would've gotten the death penalty. I think that the SEALs safety was more important at the time than taking OBL alive.

Thao is offline  
#262 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 08:48 AM
 
Chamomile Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West of the Sierras East of the Sea
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

Chamomile Girl, I have taken history lessons in high school as well as civics; I'm sure I will continue these in college. I am, however, well-acquainted with history, it being one of my major interests. That I disagree with you over civics doesn't mean I don't understand civics. It means that we disagree. Again, being accused of ignorance because I disagree with you is something I don't appreciate. Even scholars of civics have debates over it; it doesn't mean one camp needs to go back to school.
 


I don't think I am well aquainted with history and I have been studying it since I started college twenty years ago.  It's a rabbit hole.

 

I'm not just saying you need history (and civics) lessons because I disagree with you, but because you are consistently expressing way too much faith and trust in the government (and in the system, per your thoughts on the CPS debate).  Your constantly expressed opinion is that if those in charge say something is then it is.  I find this deeply disturbing, because history is all about how governments lie and manipulate information to get the results the leaders want.  I am not a conspiracy theorist, I am a professional historian.  You learned history in high school?  I teach history in highschool (and college).  Please believe me when I say that there is way more going on here than what is apparent on the surface.  There always is.

 

I also encourage you not to wait for someone with power to tell you what to think and believe.  Don't wait for some nebulous "they" to tell you if what happened violated international law...look it up yourself.  Obviously lots of folks are having problems with the illegality of the situation, blind trust and faith in Obama, or anyone else is not the counter to that.

 

Plus I also recommend history lessons because of your absolute belief in "terrorism" and "terrorists" which are simply the communists/boogymen of our day.  You know nothing about the motivations of terrorists because you do not know the history of the regions where they live.  Educate yourself about the history and it will blow a hole in your monolithic view of what a terrorist is. Groups like Hamas are a good start because they are officially recoginized as a terrorist organization and their motivations are pretty transparent.  Why have we labled them as terrorists but not the Israeli government?  They both kill people (civillians) on purpose.  Because one supports out interests and the other does not.  So spouting that terrorists are full of evil or whatever you said upthread (I don't have time to look right now) is ignorant.  It shows ignorance, I'm sorry that you don't appreciate the sentiment.

 

You get kudos for navigating this dogpile on you (being at the bottom of the dogpile myself recently in a different thread I know how that feels) with grace and patience but there is a reason that people are taking the time to disagree with you, and much of it has to do with your steadfast faith in the powers that be.

hakeber likes this.
Chamomile Girl is offline  
#263 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 AM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heather, I missed the last paragraph of your last post about leaving the thread. I really hope you don't do that. I know most of us still posting are disagreeing with a lot of what you have to say (though not all of it. I'm with you in not buying theories that the US government planned 9/11, and I believe OBL was involved in the planning of 9/11 - I just think it needs to be proved in a court of law before punishment is meted out, and I'm 100% anti-death penalty anyway, so. . .), but it doesn't mean that we aren't *interested* in hearing what you have to say. You've brought up a lot of interesting points for discussion.
eclipse is offline  
#264 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
 
hakeber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bogota, Colombia
Posts: 3,817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Fwiw, Moonfire, what is called conspiracy theory in the US Media is considered obvious logical conclusions in much of the rest of the world (or at least amongst the communities I have lived in over the last 10 years including several countries in South East and Western Asia, Northern Europe, and South and Central America.) 

 

I don't think you are stupid.  I was trying to be light hearted.  It was just a joke, honestly.  Badly timed, though, so I apologize unreservedly.

 

I do think a healthy dose of skepticism is always a good idea when listening to any governmental body or source of media, and that the more points of view you consider the better off you (that's the royal you, not you in particular) will be.

 

PS:  I did see that you said you were leaving, but as you have noticed...I am skeptic.orngtongue.gif


Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
hakeber is offline  
#265 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:27 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our government is riddled with flaws, but I do have a significant amount of faith in the spirit of America and the principles upon which are government was founded. I trust Obama as a leader; I voted for him, but I don't allow him or anyone else to tell me what to believe. I know the history regarding the US and the Middle East well enough to understand how complicated terrorism is, and learning more won't make me deny terrorism; terrorism is very real, and everyone who has ever died in a cafe bombing knows it.

Thao, any generalization I've made has been followed with an acknowledgement that it is not an absolute observation by any means. I don't know everything there is to know about history, but I know enough to understand the complexities of this situation. I also acknowledge that the people who run our government have way more information than they allow me to have. I also didn't say that EVERYONE who celebrated 9/11 was acting out of vengeance. Historically speaking we don't respond to attacks by withdrawing unless we're in a situation we can't win. People who celebrated 911 were either terrorists or people who (obviously) support (as in are okay with) terrorism. Terrorists are retaliating against us for our actions in the Middle East, but that doesn't make the death of innocents any less evil. We were attacked primarily because certain people want us out of the Middle East as they feel they're better off without us there, but for al Qaeda to fight the war in the way it does, the hearts of its "soldiers" must be corrupted by fear, hatred, and vengeance. For people to cheer in the streets at the loss of innocent life, there must be fear, hatred, and vengeance in their hearts.  Terrorists believe they are fighting for what's right, and there's no doubt in my mind that they hate the enemy: us. Is that hatred justified? Yes, probably. Does that make terrorism any less evil? NO. I realize this leads to the logical conclusion that those of us cheering in the streets at the loss of bin Laden must have fear, hatred, and vengeance in their hearts... I do not deny that.

eclipse, bin Laden didn't have a gun but he was reaching for one. An AK 47 and a handgun were within arm's reach. Had they hesitated, that hesitation could have allowed him to reach that gun and take out or critically wound one of our men. They did well to neutralize the woman by shooting her merely in the leg, rather than shooting to kill. Had she been reaching for a gun, they may have done the same simply to be soft on a woman--but it is also likely she would have been incapacitated the same way. I think it's really disrespectful to those brave men to downplay the amount of danger they were in.

MusicianDad, the war in Iraq is seperate from 911, and the tapes aren't the only evidence that bin Laden was responsible for 911. As far as whether Bush was involved... I really wouldn't be surprised. But that shouldn't free bin Laden from the consequences of his role in the attack. I look forward to the day when Bush is held accountable for the corruption of his administration.

hakeber - that I don't know the answer to those questions is not proof of his innocence, only of my ignorance of the answers. I know that his testimony isn't the only evidence we have. I know that we have caught some of the hijackers and have their testimonies; I know that we have the testimonies of people who interacted with the hijackers. Not all of it was obtained through torture. We have been watching this organization for decades. I don't like Bush, and I suspect he played a role in the attack. I HAVE a healthy dose of skepticism... I'm just skeptical of different things than you seem to be. I'm not skeptical that bin Laden was involved in 911 or that he is dead; I'm not skeptical of whether the kill was lawful or of whether those SEALs were in danger. I am extremely suspicious of George Bush and his administration, however.

 

Chamomile Girl, I recognize that governments are capable of committing terrorists acts, too. I do know the history of the Middle East; I do know the myriad of motivations behind terrorism. Believing that it is evil doesn't make me ignorant. Terrorism is evil, whether committed by an organization or a government. I think you show your ignorance by calling terrorists boogeymen, as if they don't exist. Everyone who has ever died in a car bombing knows firsthand that terrorism is a real threat. Don't call me hon. We don't even know each other. That is so rude and infantilizing. Don't use what/who society does/does not label as terrorists as proof of my ignorance, and please especially don't call me ignorant and then follow up with hon. eyesroll.gif You don't even know me. Don't make assumptions about what I do or don't know. I know that there is more going on here than what is on the surface; if you read the thread you see where I acknowledged that we created this monster. I'm not blind, and my eyes aren't closed--so stop accusing me of it. I found your whole post extremely patronizing and riddled with unfounded, rude assumptions.

 

We all have different experiences; we all are knowledgeable about different things; we all have different perspectives to bring to the table. I'm young and I don't know everything, but I'm not so ignorant that I deserve to be written off as uninformed. It felt very much like that was what was happening. We're all ignorant of some fact or another; it doesn't make us ignorant people. I appreciate those of you who apologized.

 

I was listening to a song on the radio today, the lyrics of which are "You can sleep with a gun, but when are you gonna wake up and fight?" I think that really sums up my thoughts on the action we took against bin Laden. We've been trying for so long to neutralize this threat; other presidents failed to do so, and we paid for it dearly. I applaud Obama for having the courage to follow through.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#266 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

eclipse, bin Laden didn't have a gun but he was reaching for one. An AK 47 and a handgun were within arm's reach. Had they hesitated, that hesitation could have allowed him to reach that gun and take out or critically wound one of our men. They did well to neutralize the woman by shooting her merely in the leg, rather than shooting to kill. Had she been reaching for a gun, they may have done the same simply to be soft on a woman--but it is also likely she would have been incapacitated the same way. I think it's really disrespectful to those brave men to downplay the amount of danger they were in.


I'm not downplaying the amount of danger they were in. I'm saying I don't know the amount of danger they were in. May I ask where you got the information about there being guns in arms' reach? Everything I've read was that he "made a threatening move" and that they were worried about suicide vests and booby traps. I'm not saying you're wrong - I'd just like to read what you read about it. I haven't watched the news or read any on line today, and I know the story is developing.
eclipse is offline  
#267 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:39 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't know it either; only they do. But I've seen numerous sources say that he was reaching for a weapon and that weapons were within arm's reach. Even if he wasn't reaching for a weapon, our guys had no way of knowing what he was doing when he made the "threatening move." He could have been reaching for a gun, and he might have been about to pick a wedgie. We don't know, and they probably didn't either. They knew what he was capable of, though, and they knew they were in the fox hole with a man who wants to kill as many Americans as possible.

 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/05/official-1-killed-bin-laden-raid-armed-firing/

Even FOX is saying guns were within reach, and they hate Obama lol

 

I read an article just this morning saying he had reached for those guns, but it was on my work computer so I have absolutely no idea where it was. If I do see another article referencing him reaching for the gun I'll post it.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#268 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:41 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also think a big question, and it's one that has been up in the air and never answer to my satisfaction at least since 9/11 - how do we define terrorism? What is the difference between an act of terrorism and an act of war? Are recognized countries and their armies the only people who can participate in war? Can recognized countries and their armies commit acts of terrorism? (and recognized by whom?) Is terrorism only manifested through violence? What about financial terrorism? Political terrorism? How do we view trade sanctions that, inevitably, harm innocent civilians? Is flying airplanes into buildings a "worse" (in terms of morality) war tactic than bombing cities? Does it matter if the bombs are being sent by recognized governments vs rebels vs freedom fighters vs anarchists?
eclipse is offline  
#269 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
 
moonfirefaery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Goose Creek, SC
Posts: 3,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am going to have to think long and hard about several of those questions before answering them, but I don't think that terrorism is manifested only through violence. No, airplanes into buildings is not worse than bombs on cities, no matter who is doing it and no, it's not just governments and their armies that can be participants in war. I don't condone trade sanctions that harm innocent citizens either. When we fight wars, we should do what harms the government, not the people. often when we are opposed to a government, it's because that government oppresses their people. Why then would we punish that government by doing harm to the people they oppress? You raise valid questions, but I admit I cannot answer them all yet. I'm still deciding what I think about a lot of things that go on in the world.


fambedsingle2.gif Heather, 25, single mom to Corbin, 5, and Orin, 3  uc.jpg  delayedvax.gif  nocirc.gif
Oh how I miss the days of femalesling.GIF  nak.gifcd.gif  
moonfirefaery is offline  
#270 of 412 Old 05-05-2011, 01:52 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post

I don't know it either; only they do. But I've seen numerous sources say that he was reaching for a weapon and that weapons were within arm's reach. Even if he wasn't reaching for a weapon, our guys had no way of knowing what he was doing when he made the "threatening move." He could have been reaching for a gun, and he might have been about to pick a wedgie. We don't know, and they probably didn't either. They knew what he was capable of, though, and they knew they were in the fox hole with a man who wants to kill as many Americans as possible.

 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/05/official-1-killed-bin-laden-raid-armed-firing/

Even FOX is saying guns were within reach, and they hate Obama lol

 

I read an article just this morning saying he had reached for those guns, but it was on my work computer so I have absolutely no idea where it was. If I do see another article referencing him reaching for the gun I'll post it.


Thanks, I'll check it out.
eclipse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off