Neil Gaiman: "Pencil Necked Weasel" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been following this on Gaiman's FB page and apparently it's a Big Hairy Deal.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2011/05/opinions-of-pencil-necked-weasel-thief.html
(Scroll down to "semi-political bit")

There are lots of links in the blog post that give you the back story.

The politician then apologized because his mother made him? The whole thing is bizarre.

Thoughts?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

Thoughts?

Your babies are adorable.

Thoughts regarding the article? 

It amazes me anew each day the hypocracy that is so ripe in politics.  I'll admit I'm making assumptions about Matt Dean.  I'm assuming that, as a Republican, he is supportive of a supply & demand economy.  For him to then attack an entrepreneur (isn't that what authors are, after all) for *stealing* money is laughable.  How did he steal it?  By charging a fee for his time. 

Sure, Neil Gaiman did donate the money to charity.  But that's not the point.  We *should* care if he then used the money for toilet paper--- it was his.  He provided a service, he was paid.  No thievery there.  The service he provided was not a necessary one, he does not have a monopoly, he did not beg or threaten to get it.

So, in Matt Dean's world are ideas worthless?  Is time of an individual all to be given to the state without payment?  Because if that is what he believes, then I understand his issue.

#3 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM

Wait, so someone getting paid to speak to a group is stealing money? Does that mean Bristol Palin is a thief? That's how she makes her money. And what about every other author, spokesperson, motivational speaker, political pundit, etc, should be in jail (which I admit is not exactly an all around unpleasant idea, but still...)

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#4 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 AM

I cant believe it! Seriously, the man got paid for an event that where he spoke, but he was also clearly being paid for the fact that the event would be re broadcast and for the library to own the rights to it the recording of the event. I do not think Gaiman's pay was unusually high when you consider that the library could continue broadcasting it for ever.

I love it when republicans make asses of themselves. It just makes it so much easier to argue that they have a skewed, wrong, point of view.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#5 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 AM

"She was very angry this morning and always taught me not to be a name caller. And I shouldn't have done it, and I apologize."

biglaugh.gif

How do these people get into public office? 

Rebekah - mom to Ben 03/05 and Emily 01/10, a peace educator, and a veg*n and wife to Jamie.
#6 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Politicans of all viewpoints often make asses out of themselves. This guy is not representative of an entire belief system; no one person is. You would never make such a generalization about a certain race, religion, or gender. Just because one person does or says something ridiculous does not negate any positives of that belief system- be it politics or religion. How many times have we heard that radical muslims do not represent the muslim religion?

#7 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The whole thing is bizarre, and surely Dean could have selected some more politically appropriate targets in this.  Maybe it's the lingering effects of cabin fever, after six straight months of winter. 

#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

Politicans of all viewpoints often make asses out of themselves. This guy is not representative of an entire belief system; no one person is. You would never make such a generalization about a certain race, religion, or gender. Just because one person does or says something ridiculous does not negate any positives of that belief system- be it politics or religion. How many times have we heard that radical muslims do not represent the muslim religion?

Republican is not a "belief system" as you are indicating. Its a political party. I should note that what I meant to write was "republican politicians".

Im sorry, but race, gender (or lack there of), sexual orientation,and size (to an extent) are not choices people are making. They are a fact of that persons' life, so of course I would never make any generalizations about that. However, religion and political affilation is a CHOICE, not something to be compared to the previous things that people have no control over.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#9 of 10 Old 05-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post

Republican is not a "belief system" as you are indicating. Its a political party. I should note that what I meant to write was "republican politicians".

Im sorry, but race, gender (or lack there of), sexual orientation,and size (to an extent) are not choices people are making. They are a fact of that persons' life, so of course I would never make any generalizations about that. However, religion and political affilation is a CHOICE, not something to be compared to the previous things that people have no control over.

And they exist under the assumption that those who are members or choosing to support said political party have the same religious and/or political and/or social beliefs, and will behave in certain ways regarding certain things. If someone like me considers the expected actions, or words of someone from the Republican party to be assish, then someone engaging in those acts is acting like an ass.

That being said, I don't think this guy is behaving in a way that considered "republican" but he is still behaving like an ass would. There are people who act outside the norm for their group.

And yeah, sexual orientation, race, gender, are not cultures and to compare them to ones political ideologies is inaccurate. Gays come in all shapes and sizes and political beliefs. They aren't going to act a certain ways just because they are gay (with the exception of who they date, provided they aren't self-hating.) I can't promise you a gay man will hold liberal beliefs, on the other hand I can promise that a Republican will hold conservative beliefs.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#10 of 10 Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)

This is exactly why I am a "Party Atheist".

Republicans and Democrats are just people with labels.Sometimes people lie. Clinton lied, Bush lied, Obama lied. I admit, I was a former Republican and Bush supporter in the early 2000's. My opinion of him changed when he began to act like a you-know-what.

What will make your opinions change? If we can look past the party and see the individual, this country might be better off.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page