Should Anthony Weiner resign? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Should Anthony Weiner resign?
Yes 7 43.75%
No 9 56.25%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Democratic rep Weiner of New York Tweeted a crotch photo of himself. Then lied for a week about it, said someone hacked his computer.  He hasn't done anything illegal.  Some are urging him to step down. He says he won't resign. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/anthony-weiners-confession-jon-stewart-jeff-jarvis-eliot-spitzer-weigh-in/2011/06/07/AGhS6CLH_blog.html

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/06/07/137025147/anthony-weiner-takes-full-responsibility-whatever-that-means

Is this behavior relevant to his job in public service?

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#2 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

In general I would say no, but I think he should resign for being such a wimp about it and not saying, "I did it."  I guess no, not resign, just serve out his term, but really, why do these politicians keep doing these stupid things? 

TiredX2 likes this.
#3 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yup.  It's really a shame. I don't think he should resign. But he must have rocks for brains.

#4 of 8 Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

In general I would say no, but I think he should resign for being such a wimp about it and not saying, "I did it."  I guess no, not resign, just serve out his term, but really, why do these politicians keep doing these stupid things? 

Because they are human and humans have a tendency to be stupid.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#5 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 AM

I think he should resign.  I think *all* politicians should resign (regardless of party) in these types of situations.  As a "leader" I look to politicians to make good, thoughtful decisions (in an ideal world).  If these guys make such poor decisions in their personal lives and treat their wives this poorly, I don't think that they will necessarily make good decisions in their political lives or be able to represent their constituents well.  Plus, they have way to much drama going on in real life to govern well.  That's my opinion.  If your personal life is a circus stay out of public policy!

ETA: Plus the lying about it really bugs me.  If he lies about this, he'll lie about other things.  I also have to give the big stinkeye to the blogger that stalked him for the info.  THe accessibility of media has a dark side that hyper-partisan people are exploiting mercilessly.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#6 of 8 Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

The way he behaves it's like he got married simply to fit the required roll, in order to get elected.  Before and after his marriage: he doesn't seem to have changed his behavior one bit.  He continued to act like a single guy. 

#7 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 AM

Oh yes, I think he should resign.  If he had done anything like this in a non-government work context, on company time, on company premises, with the company phone line, he would be fired.  At least some of the pics were sent unsolicited, and the teen(!!) he privately messaged had posted she had a crush on him.  Somehow I doubt she would have gotten a private message from him if she'd been someone's grandpa.  It's all so gross and unbecoming of someone in a leadership position.  Another married congressman recently stepped down for sending just a shirtless pic of himself to a woman online.  Weiner should follow suit.

#8 of 8 Old 06-15-2011, 12:54 PM

Wait- weren't some of the recipients of his tweets underage? In which case, yes, he should resign.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page