AARP Willing to Negotiate on Social Security Retirement Age - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/17/aarp-social-security_n_878966.html

It seems like most people realize that Social Security is "in trouble" but I always wonder how people actually conceptualize that.  For example, I think most people my age (mid-late 30s) don't expect Social Security to be there for them at today's levels.  But what level do they think?  I generally plan for 50%.  According to this article (and others I have read) that is actually overly pessimistic:

Quote:

Social Security will start paying out more in benefits than it absorbs in taxes this year which will lead the retirement program's trust fund to become exhausted in 2036, according to the latest annualtrustees report. After 2036, the program will only be able to pay 77 percent of promised benefits. By 2085, it will be able to pay 74 percent of promised benefits.

THIS is what drives me crazy, though:

Quote:

The Journal reported that AARP policy chief John Rother is pushing the organization to accept benefit cuts as part of a deal to make Social Security solvent. Rother's thinking, according to the paper, is that tax increases alone can't keep the program's $2.6 trillion trust fund from running out of money, so benefit cuts must be included as well.

Well, except for the fact that they can.  It feels like it has been at least 20 years that I have been hearing that to "fix" social security financially, all that needs done is to lift the earnings cap.  Low and behold, once again:

Quote:

A September 2010 Congressional Research Service report found that lifting the cap, without also raising benefits, would make the program solvent for the foreseeable future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page