"Go the (expletive) To Sleep . . . demeans children" and comparable to racist humor - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need a sequel in my house, called "why wont you @#&ing  EAT?"

I have it all wrote out in my head lol

#32 of 50 Old 09-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Zan you should start writing it right now! I would totally read it! Also Flush the &^%$ing toilet! That would be good. I don't want to know what the DD's produced! Gee whiz!
Alphaghetti likes this.
#33 of 50 Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 AM

I work in a library and it came across my desk.

I found it funny in concept ... but it had such a dark/hostile undertone, I just wanted to get it out my hands.

I mean ... as frustrated as I am at times with my kids ... I've never felt that kind of hostility towards them.

Wanting to F-bomb your kids??  

Don't get it.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#34 of 50 Old 09-26-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan&Zav View Post

I need a sequel in my house, called "why wont you @#&ing  EAT?"

I have it all wrote out in my head lol

Now that's the book I really need as my 6 year old has progressed from being a lousy sleeper to a lousy eater. Just last night I made one of the few meals she still eats, and of course I was met with...this chicken is different. Ugh...really I wanted to yell "why won't you eat?" LOL

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#35 of 50 Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subhuti View Post

I work in a library and it came across my desk.

I found it funny in concept ... but it had such a dark/hostile undertone, I just wanted to get it out my hands.

I mean ... as frustrated as I am at times with my kids ... I've never felt that kind of hostility towards them.

Wanting to F-bomb your kids??  

Don't get it.

The book isn't my kind of humour, but I didn't find it particuarly hostile. Some people swear a lot, and the "F-bomb" isn't so much hostile as frustrated. I use it a lot (not at my kids, admittedly) and it's almost always sheer frustration and has nothing to do with hostility at all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#36 of 50 Old 09-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Yeah it's not really meant to promote abusive words. More to express how "some" parents feel periodically.
Here are my gripes

Why can't you stay dressed
Why can't you flush the toilet
Why won't you brush your teeth
Why do you keep biting your sisters butt... seriously... big issue
Why do you fight showers

We get frustrated and we all have different types of humor.
#37 of 50 Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Zan you should start writing it right now! I would totally read it! Also Flush the &^%$ing toilet! That would be good. I don't want to know what the DD's produced! Gee whiz!

haha that's the one I need!! I finally got my 8 year old to flush her poo for I think the first time today, but she dropped her poopy toilet paper on the seat and it stuck. UGGH

as for the f-word, to me it's not that big of a deal,  I thought the book was funny but it did get to be a bit too much as you got further into it. my 8 year old heard us playing it and it didn't bother me and it didn't bother her, Heck I think she has probably thought the same thing a few times when her little sister first moved into her room.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#38 of 50 Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM

I get that it's a joke, and I totally get just wanting your kid to SLEEP already! But I don't find it funny at all - I agree that something about violent language associated with a child is unsettling. I agree about the last lines in the article that many parents actually express this language and rage to their kids. :(

Mothering my sweet preschool boy luxlove.gif and my new arrival bfinfant.gif

#39 of 50 Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm sorry, but I just dont find a word to be "violent". Its a word. In this situation is it primarly used to excentuate that you really want the child to go to sleep. Its the same thing as saying "Go really really quickly, right now, immediately, without pause to sleep. NOW. because Im tired of dealing with you being fussy and whiny when I know that you are sleepy and you need to go to bed." The F word is much shorter than that. Obviously, I dont think you should tell you child to go the F to sleep, but its a book written for adults, with an adult sense of humor. And I really dont find what people consider to be cuss words "violent". A word in and of itself is not violent, its how you use it, and in this case I dont think its violent.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#40 of 50 Old 09-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Eh, I get what Youngspiritmom is saying.  If someone told me 'f*** you!', depending on who it was, it would feel like a slap in the face.  Or to widen the example, if my daughter or husband called me a 'bitch', I'd feel like I'd been hit. 

Quote:
its how you use it, and in this case I dont think its violent.

I agree, context matters.  I don't think this picture book would have succeeded at all if it was written from the point of view of an uninvolved, unloving, hostile adult just cussing up a blue streak at a child. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#41 of 50 Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Giving words power is dangerous. 

#42 of 50 Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 PM

I'm a new mom...just five weeks in. I've been known to read this book to my son in a calm relaxing voice at 3 am as I try to nurse him back to sleep. For the time being, while he doesn't understand the specific words, but more the feel of the words, it actually makes me feel better and helps, me find some humor in what otherwise is a stressful situation. Granted, I don't expect I will be reading this to him for too much longer, but in the meantime it gives dh and I a giggle while we suppress the urge to give our son up for adoption...kidding, of course.

I remember my mom once told me ” you can tell a baby you are going to dismember him as long as you do it sweetly with a smile on your face, and they will just smile and coo”
Odd thing to say, but now I get it...

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#43 of 50 Old 10-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Lol! My dh likes to tell the dog, 'Whose the naughty dog? You're such a bad dog!  Yes, you're just a bad, bad doggy,"  in a happy, praising voice.  Cracks the kids up.

#44 of 50 Old 12-16-2011, 09:22 PM

Funny thing, the night after I had heard about this book, I was having a really BAD night with my (then) two month old. I had the punchline going through my head when my mom saw what was going on and said "you know, I was at work today and saw this book I think you need to read." My mother works at the library, so I figured she had found me another book on Zen parenting. Lo and behold, she had downloaded Go the F*** to Sleep on her laptop. And while I love my son dearly, the combination of him going to sleep and then reading that book just made my night.

#45 of 50 Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM

When DD was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night and we were going crazy from sleep deprivation I woke up once to DD crying and DP singing soothingly, "baby, you are driving me crazy, shut the f@#k up Baby, before I bring you back and get a baby that sleeps, just shut the f@#k up", I started laughing so hard, because I had thought the same thing so many times on sleep deprived nights. Sometimes having a sense of humor really helps!

This book is clearly not for kids, it's for parents, and I think it is more making fun of parents than kids. Of course we didn't think it was DD's fault that she couldn't sleep, the poor baby had colic. The joke is about our sleep-deprived craziness and that frustration that most parents feel at some point or other.

journeymom likes this.
#46 of 50 Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM

I don't care who you are, sleep depravation makes you think some pretty rash thoughts. We all love our little angels, and would never trade them for the world... but there has to be at least one night since their birth that we think something very derogatory or something along the lines of "now where was his receipt?!"

#47 of 50 Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Differences in preference for swearing I think accounts for differences in perception of the tone of this book.

Quote:
We all love our little angels, and would never trade them for the world...

True.  However there was that moment when our first born was 3 days old and dh and I looked at each other and we agreed, "OK this has been interesting, but isn't the hospital supposed to come get her now?  Surely they didn't mean for us to keep her? She's supposed to live with responsible adults, not two kids goofing around."

#48 of 50 Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStelle View Post

When DD was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night and we were going crazy from sleep deprivation I woke up once to DD crying and DP singing soothingly, "baby, you are driving me crazy, shut the f@#k up Baby, before I bring you back and get a baby that sleeps, just shut the f@#k up", I started laughing so hard, because I had thought the same thing so many times on sleep deprived nights. Sometimes having a sense of humor really helps!

This book is clearly not for kids, it's for parents, and I think it is more making fun of parents than kids. Of course we didn't think it was DD's fault that she couldn't sleep, the poor baby had colic. The joke is about our sleep-deprived craziness and that frustration that most parents feel at some point or other.

I had a similar song the first few weeks with DS home.  It went something like, "i love you sweetheart, but if you don't go to sleep I'm dropping you off at the fire station...."  It's become a running joke in my house.  As long as my son doesn't speak english (or anything, as he's 12weeks old) he's just listening to the tone, so i get to vent some frustrations while he's being soothed by the sound of my voice... it's totally win-win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ChicknLil View Post

I'm a new mom...just five weeks in. I've been known to read this book to my son in a calm relaxing voice at 3 am as I try to nurse him back to sleep. For the time being, while he doesn't understand the specific words, but more the feel of the words, it actually makes me feel better and helps, me find some humor in what otherwise is a stressful situation. Granted, I don't expect I will be reading this to him for too much longer, but in the meantime it gives dh and I a giggle while we suppress the urge to give our son up for adoption...kidding, of course.

I remember my mom once told me ” you can tell a baby you are going to dismember him as long as you do it sweetly with a smile on your face, and they will just smile and coo”
Odd thing to say, but now I get it...

It's totally true! I once told DS I was going to go buy a gallon of milk and never come back but the playful tone made him giggle.  It made my frustration seem silly to me to actually say something, and even sillier that he would laugh.  And how can I stay frustrated with a sweet, giggling baby like that? heheh.

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

#49 of 50 Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 AM

My almost 3yo DS found my copy of this book, and I won't read it to him (but I'll let him look at the pictures for now, that won't last long!). So everytime he finds it I say, "DS, thats a mommy book. It's only for mommy."

His response?

"Mommy, we can share the book. We can share it, and it can be yours AND mine. Lets share the book and read it together."

Umm....how about not?

#50 of 50 Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM

Uhhhh my favorite book of all time, I think. wink1.gif We've had some ROUGH nights with two bad sleepers. I could tell so many stories but I'd rather not re-live the misery.

My husband and I both swear horribly and think nothing of it. It's not like we're sociopaths or that we don't love one another just because our "family speech code" includes bad words. We're perfectly wholesome otherwise. (The music we listen to has swears in it as well quite often - as long as the music is good it's not a problem, although I won't let them listen to violent or sexually explicit music, I do have standards.) I'm perfectly socially acceptable normally, like I won't swear at a bank teller or the preschool teacher... but when we're at home yes there are a lot of swears. I'm not being mean if I swear. Yes, I have been known to say bad words in front of the kids. I don't swear AT them, at least not in anger, but yeah I have been known to use the words like "this room is incredibly f-ing dirty, we need to clean it up and make it nice, let's sing the clean up song" or something. *The kids* don't use swears, and they even know they're bad words and sometimes point it out to me, at which point I apologize and we move on, no big deal. We all also use please and thank you and good manners otherwise. They also know that they're never supposed to use them, especially in public, because people might get hurt feelings, etc. But it's really not a big deal otherwise. (And for those who want to argue that only uneducated people swear... nah... that isn't true. I've known some very educated people who swear up a storm.)

Now with that all said and done... I still say this book is awesome. smile.gif

coolshine.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page