"Go the (expletive) To Sleep . . . demeans children" and comparable to racist humor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

"Go the F*** to Sleep" should be kept out of reach of children is because of its violent language and because of the way it demeans children.

"Imagine if this were written about Jews, blacks, Muslims or Latinos," says Dr. David Arredondo. He is an expert on child development and founder of The Children's Program, in the San Francisco metropolitan area, which provides consultation and training for those working with troubled youths.

It is hard to imagine this kind of humor being tolerated by any of the marginalized groups Arredondo cited. 

http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/06/27/zacharias.kid.book/index.html 

#2 of 50 Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM

I never thought it was written to ever be read to children, actually.  I think the reason it is so funny is that it is sort of the "bedtime book for adults" - sometimes what we're _thinking_ about when we put our very young children to sleep - but never to be read to them, of course.

I remember rocking my 13 month old and trying to lay him down, etc., when I was 9 months pregnant with #2.  The thoughts in that book were exactly what was going through my head, to be honest.

I think that's why it cracked me up.  ;)

Alenushka and rainbow_mandala like this.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#3 of 50 Old 06-29-2011, 03:44 PM

Is there an eye rolling smiley? It's a joke. Meant for adults who occasionally feel a little crazy when their toddlers won't go to sleep and allow their frazzled parents a little downtime.
Alenushka and APToddlerMama like this.
#4 of 50 Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 PM

yeah I can totally identify with this! I thought it was very funny. There has been many a time in the parenting of 3 kids that I have muttered similar things under my breath!

Alenushka likes this.
#5 of 50 Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 PM

I found the arguement in the cited article inane.

This is not a book FOR children.  It is not advocating violence against children.  There are enough problems in the world without borrowing more.

yaboobarb and Alenushka like this.

#6 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 08:35 AM

I saw this in a bookstore yesterday. I agree: it is not meant to read to KIDS. It is for adults and honestly I thought it was pretty funny.
yaboobarb and Alenushka like this.
#7 of 50 Old 07-01-2011, 06:09 PM

I didn't find the book all that funny, personally - but I don't agree with anything about the article in the OP. She's pulling together a bunch of random stuff and talking as though there are strong connections between them. The book is just a goofy joke for parents to read. That article is just ridiculous.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#8 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 AM

That is the most idiotic article I have ever read.  WTF are they talking about, and have they even read the book?

Alenushka likes this.

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#9 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM

The book rocks. With all the nicey-nice bedtime stories, gentle suggestions and advice - which are great, really, to a certain point - it's just nice to see that I'm not the only person in the world who has clenched her teeth in frustration and bit back on those exact words (many times).

The article didn't even make sense....

Maybe there'll be a sequel? - along the lines of "Stop bleepin whining!"  I would buy that too.

Alenushka likes this.
#10 of 50 Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM

I thought the book was hilarious!  And I would never read it to my children.  That's just dumb. LOL

Alenushka likes this.
#11 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 10:16 AM

it's definitely not a book for kids! i came across the book on the web a few days after my daughter had a sleepover, it fit so well with my feelings that night, i couldn't stop giggling all day! i'm a Samuel L. Jackson fan, especially when he gets all biblical in "Pulp Fiction." the idea of him narrating a children's book is so ridiculous it's funny. my girl's pretty good at sleeping, add even one other kid and i try to be sooooo diplomatic, i wish Jackson would come knocking at my door to help me out *lol* just kidding!

Alenushka likes this.

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#12 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Another example of people taking stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY....I  mean really, come on. I guess that Doctor just wanted some time in the spot light.

Alenushka likes this.
#13 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Slightly off topic, but this seems goofy to me as well:

Quote:

Parents often don't act in the way storybooks depict either. Putting kids to bed can be a challenge, and it may be an even bigger problem for this generation of parents because the sacred bedtime ritual of reading to children has gone away.

"I think it's pretty important to note that most kids in this country do not get read to at all when they go to sleep," Arredondo says.

Really? He can prove this? Regardless, I imagine that most of the small children all over the world go to sleep every single night without having been read to.  So for him to wag his finger at ...who, I'm not really sure... for not reading to their kids before sleep seems a little odd to me. 

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#14 of 50 Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 PM

I love it. And I have to share this:

http://www.nerve.com/news/books/listen-samuel-l-jackson-narrates-go-the-fuck-to-sleep

It SO much funnier when read aloud by Samuel L Jackson.

My favorite line is "Hell no you cant go to the bathroom. You know where you can go? The f--k to sleep."

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#15 of 50 Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Slightly off topic, but this seems goofy to me as well:

Really? He can prove this? Regardless, I imagine that most of the small children all over the world go to sleep every single night without having been read to.  So for him to wag his finger at ...who, I'm not really sure... for not reading to their kids before sleep seems a little odd to me. 

That one made me nuts. I've never read to my kids at bedtime. (I mean it's never been a routine, not that I've never, ever done it.) I like to sing at bedtime, which is what my mom did with us. But, I do read to them at other times. The whole "sacred bedtime ritual" thing kind of bugged me. I'm an avid reader, as was my mom. DH reads for pleasure (although he's not as fanatic about it as I am), as does ds1. DD1 and ds2 are both showing signs of enjoying reading, although they're still not totally into it. Reading at bedtime isn't "sacred". I think it's a lovely ritual, and I think it's a very positive thing. But, that part of the article made it sound as though putting kids to bed without a story is almost on a par with abuse or neglect. It was weird.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 50 Old 07-06-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post

I love it. And I have to share this:

http://www.nerve.com/news/books/listen-samuel-l-jackson-narrates-go-the-fuck-to-sleep

It SO much funnier when read aloud by Samuel L Jackson.

My favorite line is "Hell no you cant go to the bathroom. You know where you can go? The f--k to sleep."

Yes, it is.  smile.gif

#17 of 50 Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Upon seeing the title, I knew instantly it was a book I wouldn't touch in a million years, let alone pay a dime for.  Joke or no joke, it's demeaning, both to our children and to the work of parenting. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#18 of 50 Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post

Is there an eye rolling smiley? It's a joke. Meant for adults who occasionally feel a little crazy when their toddlers won't go to sleep and allow their frazzled parents a little downtime.

I agree. No way would I read it to kids. But it was humorous to hear Samuel L. Jackson read it. It's funny in the same way shows like South Park are funny. I think the author of the article is missing the point.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#19 of 50 Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by childsplay View Post

\

Maybe there'll be a sequel? - along the lines of "Stop bleepin whining!"  I would buy that too.

SIL just bought me this as a "new baby" present. I think I would have like the whining book better ROTFLMAO.gif Funny idea, obviously not meant for children, I threw it away as I have children who can read and don't want them seeing it.

#20 of 50 Old 08-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I think it is hilarious book. If you think it is intended to be read to kids, you need counseling from a local comedian to find your sence of humor.

This book is safe way for parent to express their frustration. Just like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESFANzZTdYM

yaboobarb likes this.
#21 of 50 Old 08-06-2011, 03:57 PM

So, what do you think of Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift?  Do you think he is demeaning poor children? Should we start petition against cannibalism in England?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

Upon seeing the title, I knew instantly it was a book I wouldn't touch in a million years, let alone pay a dime for.  Joke or no joke, it's demeaning, both to our children and to the work of parenting. 

#22 of 50 Old 08-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post

It's not for children.  It's for adults, who feel like they are going to scream after 2 hours of bedtime routines and a child who is SCREAMING - "I WANNA PLAY WITH MY TOOLBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  Yes, my ds just got a toy toolbox, and I'm about to scream b/c he won't do anything without it.  Except eat ice cream, which he's doing very nicely right now.

I love this book.  A friend sent it to me after a rough night - and it made me laugh so ridiculously hard, it made it possible for me to go to sleep without pulling all my hair out in frustration.

#23 of 50 Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM

Think- HBO comedian special-- not PBS!

I think it is pretty funny- taking anger and making it ludicrous. I am all for making fun of myself. :)

BTW- I am all home birthy, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, hold and nurse on demand- attachment parenting and ect, etc etc...

I would not keep it in the house- or but it, but I did have a good chuckle and I sent a link to my sister.

Not for kids though------ -- until they have them... :)

Birthpower AWARENESS CAMPAIGN - Do you have your button yet?   www.BirthPower.us      

Did you ROCK that VBAC or Natural Birth? Honor yourself with a Birthpower Necklace! & Empowered Birth Lawn Sign!

PLEASE join our yearly-  EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK.     

#24 of 50 Old 08-07-2011, 05:39 PM

I just read this book last night at a friends house and it. is. so. freaking. funny!  no it's not a kids book. it's funny humor for parents.  i think i might pee my pants if I get to hear Samuel Jackson narrate it.  

Alenushka likes this.

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#25 of 50 Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM

I didn't really enjoy the book...but I have to admit that it flashed through my mind this morning. DD2 woke me up at about 3:00 this morning, then proceeded to happily bop back and forth from her room (shared with dd1 and ds2), and our room, chatting up a storm in her normal speaking voice. This continued until well after 5:00. She woke me up. She woke dh up. She woke dd1 up. She woke ds2 up (just barely, luckily - he dozed right back off). I spent about 20 minutes singing to her and rubbing her back, and she fell asleep...and then woke up and said "I want to sleep in your bed" - loudly, as I got off the bed. She jumped back and forth from my left breast to my right for I don't know how long. She slid out of our bed, went down the hall and talked to her siblings again "Wake up dd1 - wake up", then went back to our bed, and switched breasts back and forth again.

She eventually fell asleep, and I spent the next couple hours "sleeping", propped on the edge of my bed, afraid I'd fall on the floor. I won't lie "go the f**k to sleep" did cross my mind once or twice. I was sweet, gentle and very patient with dd2...but I really, really, really, really wanted her to go the f**k to sleep. The book seemed funnier at 5:00 this morning than it did when I read it, or when I heard Samuel Jackson narrate it.

If I had kids with more unsettled sleeping patterns, I'd probably own it.

#26 of 50 Old 08-25-2011, 07:17 AM

Holy laugh my butt off HILARIOUS!  I have begged bribed cried... I've done it all!  Under my breath I've cursed DD1  out.    She would not sleep!  Maybe 4 hours.  Maybe.  I had routines... and basically they were for me after awhile. 

If you can't find the humor in this then I just don't know.    Now to get DD1 to sleep I seriously have to rub her back, rub her big ole flintstone feet/flappers.  I even give her melatonin 1/2 mg thanks to advice from some friends.  And now she will fall asleep within two hours of her bed time... Oh sweet back stabbing Judas life is grand after 10 pm!

#27 of 50 Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM

I love this book!I own a copy,and I've shown it to others who thought it was hilarious too.My dd read it(she's 13,so no big deal).I still feel that way about ds,10.The kid will not sleep!!He just keeps talking,getting up,asking me for certain toys,just driving me nuts lol.

Student mama to one awesome,talented and unique dd,15 and one amazing, sweet and strong ds,12(born with heart defect Tetralogy of Fallot,also on the autism spectrum),9 cats,and 2 gerbils.
#28 of 50 Old 09-09-2011, 11:24 AM

This post has been removed due to privacy reasons.

#29 of 50 Old 09-13-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow_mandala View Post

I find it to be pretty tasteless humor, but it's definitely funny for what it is.  I'm just not into throwing cuss words around in order to make something funny...it's pretty immature and misses the point of real humor, imo.  I can understand why many parents would find it funny, especially because we're not supposed to have negative feelings when it comes to our kids.  Umm, well, who hasn't felt frustrated when their baby or toddler keeps waking them up several times in one night??  It's natural.  This book, though, didn't really make me laugh...it mostly made me feel sad, I think because even during the times when I've been the most sleep-deprived, I wasn't ever aggravated to the point of wanting to say "go the f$*% to sleep" because it's not their fault.  To me, directing the frustration to innocent children who truly don't mean anyone harm is senseless and basically a form of objectification.

Oh, I was. I never said it to her, but I have a 18 month old that sleeps on average about 9 hours in a period of 24 (including "naps"). She has always been that way, and sometimes you just want her to go.to.bed.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#30 of 50 Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 AM

Uh... I thought it often. When you're sleep deprived and your kid only sleeps 4 hours a night, you tend to go mentally ballistic! But humor is all subjective. You either think it's funny or you don't. And having listened to it being read by Samuel Jackson makes it even better. Seriously try working 12 hour rotation shifts (DH too) getting up super early to run in formation and try not to think these kind of thoughts. Half the time I'd be laughing at myself when I would think things like that. Like really is this what sleep deprivation has done to me?

DH and I listened to it the other day and wow the memories flooded back. "Remember when you found me asleep on the living room floor still in uniform with DD1 sitting on my back eating cheerios?" I mean this kid wouldn't sleep! And the Dr's all of them, said she was just fine and she was she just didn't need more at the time and didn't want to miss a thing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page