Woman Faces 93-Days in Jail For Planting Vegetable Garden - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/julie-bass-of-oak-park-faces-misdemeanor-charge-for-vegetable-garden-20110630-wpms

here is her facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oak-Park-Hates-Veggies/184553881597878

#2 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/oak-park-hates-veggies/

#3 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

So very weird. Isn't there a big movement in Detroit to turn abandoned, decaying inner city areas into renewed farmland?? I read some impressive, enthusiastic reports about it awhile back. (Google search found this).

Is there some kind of political football behind this?

#4 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 01:02 PM

So the arguement is that it's against the law to have certain plants in your front yard because they aren't "common" for front yards? But the law says "suitable." Contrary to what the guy said, I did not find any reference to commonness when I looked up "suitable" in multiple dictionaries (and a thesaurus for good measure).

I will be shocked and depressed if the lady doesn't win the trial.

#5 of 7 Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Ok, grass is crap! Is there really a law that says you have to have grass? I planted clover in my yard, because my bees will use it, my animals like to eat it, and you can make tea with it. When I tell people about clover, they say "Why didn't you plant grass? Clover will take over everything." Grrr!!

This story is absurd. This is exactly why I moved to my current home--you can't see the neighbors! And I can plant a garden any darn well I like. Bravo to this woman for standing up against tyranny. Land of the Free? Ha! 

Let's all hope she wins this case, and maybe earns some money for her troubles harassment.

Look at this front yard garden in California...this is my goal.

urban-homestead.jpg

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#6 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 12:29 AM

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110715/METRO02/107150397/Charges-dropped-against-Oak-Park-woman-over-veggie-garden

it seems they are just out to get her over the dog thing now. sheesh!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#7 of 7 Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Good, they dropped the charges for the garden. As for the dogs, I agree with this quote:

"This is really nothing other than a personal vendetta against the Basses, either because somebody doesn't like them, or because they had the nerve to fight this unjust prosecution," the attorney said.

See what happens when you exercise your rights as a free citizen? They'll find some way to get you, once you're on their radar.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page