Occupy Wallstreet Movement - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 64 Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good ideas, serenbat, I hadn't thought about bringing them water. That is a definite can do!! I also have some winter items I plan on donating to them. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

bring water! even in an old jug for hand washing - offer to take back things that need washing

a thermos full of tea or coffee is always appreciated!!! or ice if you are in a hot area 

we do bring lots of snack food (besides other items) - popcorn is cheap and easy 

can you make copies?

have extra items that they might need? just ask

main thing in our area is to spread the word- letters to the editor of your local papers are FREE!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#62 of 64 Old 11-13-2011, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping to get involved!

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#63 of 64 Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

ALSO - pack in pack out thought - can you go and take home "compost" trash recycleables etc?

we are locally doing a big push for BLACK Friday - we are doing "handmade" signs and placing them all over - laundry mats, with local churches, all places you can post--FREE (SOUPS kitchens are great too)

in our area the "major" occupy groups are ONLY in one section of town and small by national standards so most people do not know ANYTHING about it - if you don't drive by you have no clue (the local papers only did an itsy-bitsy story right at the start) we are going into other sections (thus the reason for the laundry mats) if you are a 1%er you are NOT doing your own clothing ------- so get the word out---it's FREE!

mama*pisces likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#64 of 64 Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey there!  "The violent police assaults across the US are no coincidence." 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/nov/25/shocking-truth-about-crackdown-occupy?fb=optOut

Note the above was published in the UK.  Written by Naomi Wolf. On the 19th she was attending a HuffingtonPost event in NYC that featured Governor Andrew Cuomo, and was arrested. 

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/oct/19/naomi-wolf-arrest-occupy-wall-street

Quote:

The officers who had us in custody were very courteous, and several expressed sympathy for the movements' aims. Nonetheless, my partner and I had our possessions taken from us, our ID copied, and we were placed in separate cells for about half an hour. It was clear that by then the police knew there was scrutiny of this arrest so they handled us with great courtesy, but my phone was taken and for half an hour I was in a faeces- or blood-smeared cell, thinking at that moment the only thing that separates civil societies from barbaric states is the rule of law – that finds the prisoner, and holds the arresting officers and courts accountable.

I have been seriously objecting to comparing the Occupy movement to the Arab Spring uprising, it's hyperbolic and disrespectful to those people who were tortured and murdered by the likes of Muammar Gaddafi.   But she's so right, this is all it takes:

Quote:
first they come for the "other" – the "terrorist", the brown person, the Muslim, the outsider; then they come for you – while you are standing on a sidewalk in evening dress, obeying the law.

Edited, wrong Cuomo.

Someone moved my effing cheese.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page