Occupy Wallstreet Movement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 64 Old 10-05-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm quite surprised that no one has posted anything about these protests or this movement.  This isn't only happening in NYC, but in many other major cities.  Even smaller cities are catching on.  Is there any interest on this forum surrounding this movement and these protests?

#2 of 64 Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm surprised there's not much on here either! I am on the committee of my local Occupy group, and I'm following all news regarding it closely.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#3 of 64 Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 AM

Hello, I am thrilled to see this thread. I think allot of us are with the occupy wall street movement. It's just, my toddlers don't have the temperment needed to occupy anywhere for long. I am excited and willing to be to help. What do you suggest?

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif
#4 of 64 Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM

I understand about toddlers not having the temperament to occupy anything for very long. LOL! I'lm going to link to some things you can do from home. There's a Facebook campaign to collect blankets and coats for the demonstrators. 

Here is a list of 11 things you can do to help.

Here's Keith Oberman's coverage and his reading of the first collective statement of Occupy Wall Street.

Here's a live feed of Occupy Wall Street from Global Revolution, which provides "live streaming video coverage from independent journalists on the ground at nonviolent protests around the world." They also have ideas on what you can do.

This Saturday, October 15th is a Global Day of Action in solidarity with the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations. We're meeting at the Round House, the state capitol, here in Santa Fe on Saturday to talk about issues of importance to our state. In New Mexico we have the highest rate of food insecurity in the country, a rate higher than Latin America. Hunger in New Mexico, as elsewhere, disproportionately affects children and the elderly. I hope that we'll be talking about hunger on Saturday. I don't currently have any toddlers so I'll be able to go. smile.gif

I'm going to ask Melanie, our web editor, to feature this thread on the homepage so we can let others know about it. 

#5 of 64 Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM

I am glad to see this thread!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 64 Old 10-14-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm also happy to see this on here, parents like us have a lot at stake here.

Mama to 3 awesome girls: DD1 born 2001, DD2 born 2002, DD3 born March 2011

#7 of 64 Old 10-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Is anyone planning to attend an event tomorrow? I want to but I can only go if I take my 2 year old with me and I'm not sure I want to do that. I've participated in protests pre-baby so I know they are  safe but I'm worried about my kid seeing people yell and that it will upset him. Would love to hear what others think.

#8 of 64 Old 10-15-2011, 12:42 PM

We took a chance and took our toddlers to the Ocuppy protest in Binghamton today. They were great for two whole hours!TODAY people all over the world are saying Awaken~Unite! It is time to stop wringing our hands in despair, and demand accountability. Corporations have the rights of people but are allowed to operate without conscience.   

#9 of 64 Old 10-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I find their agenda interesting.  Yet it lacks something.  Just like the tea party.  It reminds me of the Underpants gnomes.  1. Steal underpants  2.   _________________  3.  Profit.  

I've read into a lot of what is going on and have spoken with DH about it.  While I'm pleased they are for the most part not being bullied, after they carry their signs... then what?

I tend to read a bit of stuff from these guys.

David Ike

Peter Joseph

I've heard they are getting a bit involved but is it enough? 

#10 of 64 Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 PM

I've been watching with great interest from 'up north'... I'm glad that people are getting together, talking, and remaining passionate. I think the organization will come... and the more people talk to each other and critically examine what has been happening in troublesome areas such as government policy, the more it will become clear that the seemingly diverse problems and 'demands' coming up are more symptoms of needed *systemic change* rather than splintering interests.

I attended an event in support of Occupy Wall Street today, and it was interesting to hear the various speakers that came out - the issues they brought up were SO diverse, and yet they were committed in a way that I hadn't seen before to work together to find out what is common between them so that they can help each other. The more people identify what common change is needed, the better for us all.

It's all too common for people to hear a blip on the news about some radical dissenters yelling in the streets... and then just go on with their day. I admit I was excited, but dismissive at first... If the only thing accomplished at this point is that people are actually talking about these things, then I think the protesters in the US have achieved something valuable.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#11 of 64 Old 10-16-2011, 06:00 AM

I was at the Occupy GSO NC yesterday. Not a huge turnout, around 600 but it was a start.

I live in an area where the median HS yearly income is less than $40,000 and the average Ceo makes $11,000,000 I figured I had to stand up and say something:)

Good luck!

Heart of Herbs Herbal and Aromatherapy School and Birth Arts International, educational solutions that work for you! Check out my new book
#12 of 64 Old 10-16-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm really interesred in this movement. I feel really frustrated and too trapped in my life though to get down there to help and just be present. With 5 kids, being single, and a full time student I am just really overwhelmed. I know there would be a lot more support if so many of us weren't holding on by a thread already. I have nothing left to give.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#13 of 64 Old 10-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Wow, mamamoo, I hear what you're saying and don't expect anything more from yourself. You're doing enough already. Please post on the Holiday Helper when it gets up and running. I think your situation is a perfect example of what Occupy Wall Street is all about. In pretty much every other industrialized country you would be entitled to financial help and family leave. It's not a hand out when we use our tax dollars to help people raising children. It's the sign of an enlightened society and an investment in the future. 

Regarding demonstrating with children. I think you find your own way. We had a lively Your Letters conversation about this in Mothering Mag and some writers were vehement that exposing their children to social action helped them to grow up to be social activists. Others felt that their children were too young to be exposed to politics and for others, the age of their children made it impossible. Also know you can support the effort without being there by sending blankets, socks, donations. See my post above.

And, yes this is enough. It is people crying out for a just and equitable society. The press tends to try to minimize the movement by saying there isn't a message, but there is. Check out these photos of demonstrations around the world yesterday.

#14 of 64 Old 10-18-2011, 09:48 PM

@La Limena...

It sounds like you feel a bit personally attacked with what's going on given your family's financial situation. I'm sorry for that and I can see how it would be alienating... 

I wonder if some of the distaste you feel for the protests has to do with the way they are portrayed in the media?

I've seen a fair bit of American news coverage of the Occupy protests, and in my opinion it's portrayed quite differently from the way I've seen it portrayed on other news networks (from Canada, the UK, the Middle East and other areas of Europe). I think there is a lot of focus on the demonization of people who have higher incomes - when really from what I've read elsewhere the movement is more about the potential for change within the economic system. A lot of the issues at hand are about failed economic policy: not that people who work hard don’t deserve success.

Again, from what I’ve read elsewhere (outside of mainstream US media), the Occupy movement (when it is articulated well) is less about the redistribution of wealth than it is about ensuring a fair chance for people to benefit from their hard work. This seems to be where problems start... people beginning from a sincerely disadvantaged place simply do not have the equality of opportunity that is supposed to be a cornerstone of a just society.

Even if one starts from the same place as most others, if one has worked hard in school and made generally good choices in life, it should follow (again, on this supposed just society) that one has a relatively stable income, housing, medical care etc. It is alright to benefit from your hard work! *But the problem seems to be is that, to an increasing and alarming level, this no longer happens*

It doesn’t happen because of the system within which people are trying to function - and the change that people are calling for is for that system to reflect the values of justice and equity that democratic countries pride themselves on. 

I’m behind that.

mamamoo, CatsCradle and liliaceae like this.

Weaving, knitting mama of one beautiful daughter born at home,  reading.gif and yoga teacher namaste.gif planning a homebirth.jpg with our second, due mid-january. Trying to crochetsmilie.gif & sewmachine.gif & notes.gif more... We like to fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#15 of 64 Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 PM

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what this protest is about. There are a variety of issues, but the main concern seems to be requiring our government to hold these corporations accountable for their actions. There are CEO's in these companies being given MILLION dollar bonuses while they take HANDOUTS from the government, off the tables of our HARD working people. They move our jobs overseas, they don't pay taxes, they don't offer health benefits, or living wages. MOST of the people protesting are hard working people. MOST of US do not want handouts...we want FAIR wages, LIVING wages, and benefits. We want to be compensated for being the backbone that keep these corps up and running. We want to be appreciated. We want to close the gap. There should be accountability for what they are doing to our environment and our economy. It's so odd to me that the very people that complain about people wanting handouts and welfare don't blink an eye at the corporate greed, welfare (subsidies), and tax loopholes that by far outweigh the amount that individuals are using. I think there is a lot of education about the movement that needs to happen on both sides of the equation here. Don't worry though. I won't be taking any handouts from people here via the holiday helper thread, I get enough help through financial aid so I can go to school to get my family on track. Just so you know, I didn't have 5 kids intending for my husband to leave. I was a stay at home mom for a long, long time. Unfortunately sometimes life happens, pregnancies can surprise you, husbands can leave, whole lives can change overnight. But you know, and God knows I deserve what I got in life since I had "too many kids". I hope your life never throws you a hard ball like that.

CatsCradle and liliaceae like this.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#16 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 10:13 AM

I have removed a couple of non-supportive posts.  Since this thread was started in Activism, posts are supposed to be support only.  If you would like to debate the matter, please feel free to start a thread in News & Current Events.  If you would like support for your view, you can feel free to start another thread in Activism.

If there are any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to PM me.

#17 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 11:24 AM

Life does happen and bad things do happen to good people. I think I missed some of these deleted posts, but don't think anyone should feel ashamed if they need help. One of the traits of a healthy family is the ability to ask for help. And, one of the traits of a healthy society is that it takes care of its most vulnerable members.  I wrote a blog about what I think Occupy Wall Street is about; I think it's about a just and equitable society. We're all in this together and we don't have to blame others to create a more equitable society, but we do have to identify and remedy injustices. 

What do you all think would be the qualities of a just and equitable society?

#18 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM

There is also a Parents for OWS group. FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/159111290848687/

They are planning a family sleep over in NYC. Seems CNN will be covering it and Dan Zanes (woot woot) will be performing.

They are also discussing how parents can participate in the GAs as a working group.

Pretty interesting and exciting stuff!

#19 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM

I imagine a Utopia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy O'Mara View Post

Life does happen and bad things do happen to good people. I think I missed some of these deleted posts, but don't think anyone should feel ashamed if they need help. One of the traits of a healthy family is the ability to ask for help. And, one of the traits of a healthy society is that it takes care of its most vulnerable members.  I wrote a blog about what I think Occupy Wall Street is about; I think it's about a just and equitable society. We're all in this together and we don't have to blame others to create a more equitable society, but we do have to identify and remedy injustices. 

What do you all think would be the qualities of a just and equitable society?

#20 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 PM

In a just and equitable society:

A person wouldn't have to rack up 100K in student loans in order to get a job that pays $10 an hour.
Getting cancer would not mean having to declare bankruptcy.
30 year old professionals would not be returning to their parent's basements because they cannot find a job.
Working professionals with advanced degrees would not need to file for public assistance to feed their children.
Teenagers with no jobs would not be able to sign up for credit cards with $10k limits their first week away from home.
Bailouts would come to the working poor with so much debt that they are drowning in it, not the banks holding the notes for that debt.
People would be worth more alive than dead.
There would be ways of getting out from under student loan debt other than death.
Mothers would not have to choose between losing their home and feeding their children.

The heart of the occupy wall street movement is people like me. People who did what we are "supposed" to do. Go to school, buy a home, get a job, get a car. Between my husband and I we are almost a half a MILLION dollars in debt, mostly student loans for the advanced degrees REQUIRED to do our jobs. Both of us are public servants and work for the state. We make less than 90K between us. We pay about 30% taxes, which leaves us 60K a year take-home. We pay 24K a year in childcare costs, and spend about 6K a year on food. Electricity, water, heat, insurance and car maintenance run us about 10K each year. Clothing, gifts, gas, the rare vacation or meal out and other "fun" stuff run us around 5k each year. The remaining 15K a year goes to our debts. We are responsible working adults. We are on a 40 YEAR payment plan. This means I will finally be debt free at age 65. No retirement fund. No college fund for my kids. Am I angry? You bet! If I wasn't working 60 hours a week, trying to feed a family of four healthy meals on a daily basis, and juggling the commitments to my community and kids I would be walking with the protestors. Something seriously has to change.

We tell our kids to follow their dreams. But how can we when a top notch education makes you an indentured servant for 30 years? Why is it okay that a good friends sister, who had health insurance, had to lose their house, car, retirement, savings and eventually and declare bankruptcy due to the cost of her cancer treatments? Why can't one of the richest nations in the world take care of its citizens? Something has to change, and I seriously hope the protests we see are the start of major reforms in this country. We need it.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#21 of 64 Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM

THIS!  And I hate that i can only thumbs up once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

In a just and equitable society:
A person wouldn't have to rack up 100K in student loans in order to get a job that pays $10 an hour.
Getting cancer would not mean having to declare bankruptcy.
30 year old professionals would not be returning to their parent's basements because they cannot find a job.
Working professionals with advanced degrees would not need to file for public assistance to feed their children.
Teenagers with no jobs would not be able to sign up for credit cards with $10k limits their first week away from home.
Bailouts would come to the working poor with so much debt that they are drowning in it, not the banks holding the notes for that debt.
People would be worth more alive than dead.
There would be ways of getting out from under student loan debt other than death.
Mothers would not have to choose between losing their home and feeding their children.
The heart of the occupy wall street movement is people like me. People who did what we are "supposed" to do. Go to school, buy a home, get a job, get a car. Between my husband and I we are almost a half a MILLION dollars in debt, mostly student loans for the advanced degrees REQUIRED to do our jobs. Both of us are public servants and work for the state. We make less than 90K between us. We pay about 30% taxes, which leaves us 60K a year take-home. We pay 24K a year in childcare costs, and spend about 6K a year on food. Electricity, water, heat, insurance and car maintenance run us about 10K each year. Clothing, gifts, gas, the rare vacation or meal out and other "fun" stuff run us around 5k each year. The remaining 15K a year goes to our debts. We are responsible working adults. We are on a 40 YEAR payment plan. This means I will finally be debt free at age 65. No retirement fund. No college fund for my kids. Am I angry? You bet! If I wasn't working 60 hours a week, trying to feed a family of four healthy meals on a daily basis, and juggling the commitments to my community and kids I would be walking with the protestors. Something seriously has to change.
We tell our kids to follow their dreams. But how can we when a top notch education makes you an indentured servant for 30 years? Why is it okay that a good friends sister, who had health insurance, had to lose their house, car, retirement, savings and eventually and declare bankruptcy due to the cost of her cancer treatments? Why can't one of the richest nations in the world take care of its citizens? Something has to change, and I seriously hope the protests we see are the start of major reforms in this country. We need it.

#22 of 64 Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 AM

Right on, Sister Lunarlady! Right on! 

And, thanks for the FB link, monkey's mom. Someone posted there that the Pew Foundation says that 10% of media coverage is currently about Occupy Wall Street. Not bad.

#23 of 64 Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

Yeah that to everything you wrote ~ and especially this particular bit

mamamoo likes this.

Mama to boy born 7/18/11 and another on the way in November '13  Rainbow.gif

#24 of 64 Old 10-26-2011, 07:13 PM

I'm horrified by what happened in Oakland. :( jaw.gif      horrors.gif    Cuss.gif

#25 of 64 Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Well yes it sucks.  It shouldn't have happened.  But it's cali and stuff like this happens in cali.  Also I think it just strengthened the cause.  Good job Gov't.  You can't quell the anger with violence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by verde View Post

I'm horrified by what happened in Oakland. :( jaw.gif      horrors.gif    Cuss.gif

#26 of 64 Old 10-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Another Mom over here following OWS closely and planning a visit in a week ...

... I am not even going to tell my kids I will be at the protest.  They've seen a couple of photos of it and preemptively said "Mom, Don't go down there!"  They are afraid of the police.  Really sad.  I had to explain not all police are like that.

But my girls are seven and under ... I think if they were older I would offer them a chance to come.  But not unless I was 100 % sure that there would not be police action -- which, right now, there is no guarantee.

Kids. I got two of 'em.
#27 of 64 Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Do you all know about the Encircling the White House Event on November 6th? Anyone going?

#28 of 64 Old 10-31-2011, 05:12 PM

The police action in Oakland was appalling. Denver was really tense the other day too. I love to watch the livestreaming in other cities. It's so amazing how much solidarity is built that way.

Here in Chicago, despite the mass arrests (I was there to support those who were willing to get arrested on both ocassions), the police remain relatively friendly, although our mayor refuses to compromise and allow a stationary occupation. We have to be "mobile" at all times. I've been going down several times a week since Occupy Chicago started, about a week after Occupy Wall Street began. My kids were were with me on Columbus Day, when the unions and community organizations came out marching and we sat in the street outside the Art Institute of Chicago, numbering between 5000 and 10000, depending on whose count you trust. I'm sure they will never forget it. It was such a peaceful and positive atmosphere there.

I hope this movement keeps growing and can last the winter and as long as we need to see results. Democracy can not work unless the people are willing to take part in it and stand up for their rights.

I just started a thread on N&CE too. Maybe we can post relevant links to articles and literature there?
mamamoo likes this.

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
#29 of 64 Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 AM

ALERT

New Bill Being Considered In Congress Could Shut Down Social Media Sites Crucial To ‘Occupy’ Protests

http://www.facebook.com/naomi.wolf.author

In what would be a stunning disregard for First Amendment rights, rumors are swirling that the Republican controlled Congress is now considering a new bill that could blackout sites such as YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, and other sites that utilize content generated by users. Phones such as iPhone, Android, AmazonCloud, Pandora, Grooveshark and even your email accounts would be adversely affected.

Some provisions in the bill would make it a “felony to stream unlicensed content — including cover band performances, karaoke videos, video game play-throughs, and more.” Major profit driven corporations are the driving force btop the Internet Blacklist Legislation

The Internet Blacklist Legislation– known as PROTECT IP Act in the Senate and Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House - is a threatening sequel to last year's COICA Internet censorship bill.  Like its predecessor, this legislation invites Internet security risks, threatens online speech, and hampers Internet innovation. Urge your members of Congress to reject this Internet blacklist campaign in both its forms!

Fight for free speech online - reject the draconian Internet Blacklist Legislation.

#30 of 64 Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM

You can't shut down the interwebs!   It's pretty easy to circumvent all that. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page