U.S. War in Iraq Declared Officially Over - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

(BAGHDAD) — After nearly nine years, 4,500 American dead, 32,000 wounded and more than $800 billion, U.S. officials formally shut down the war in Iraq — a conflict that U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said was worth the price in blood and money, as it set Iraq on a path to democracy.

Read more here.

Thoughts?  Opinions?

#2 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So Thankful.  Please, please, please, don't let us start another one right away.

journeymom likes this.

#3 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There will be another, don't worry.  Theres been lots of movement and realignment of troops.  Iraq was taking up too many soldiers.  I suspect we'll need to liberate Syria next. 

And no I do not believe the price was worth it.  As a DV for peace I'm saddened by the vast amount of people still trying to get into the military.  The influx started because of the lack of jobs as it always does.  There is actually a decently long waiting period right now for certain jobs.  If my girls want to join the military after I know what I know and what I have seen I'll seriously chain myself to them. 

#4 of 9 Old 12-15-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

...And no I do not believe the price was worth it....

This was my first thought in reading the article, especially considering the 100,000+ (over half civilians) Iraqis that died. 

#5 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

There will be another, don't worry.  Theres been lots of movement and realignment of troops.  Iraq was taking up too many soldiers.  I suspect we'll need to liberate Syria next. 

And no I do not believe the price was worth it.  As a DV for peace I'm saddened by the vast amount of people still trying to get into the military.  The influx started because of the lack of jobs as it always does.  There is actually a decently long waiting period right now for certain jobs.  If my girls want to join the military after I know what I know and what I have seen I'll seriously chain myself to them. 

While I totally agree with your price assessment (since it was based on lies and faulty information, there is no "worth it") but was assumming we would be looking at Iran more seriously :(

#6 of 9 Old 12-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Right but before we hit Iran, we need to take down who they have close ties with.  There is no reason at this point to go into Iran without tying up loose ends.  They are wealthy and have a decent military arsenal. 

#7 of 9 Old 12-20-2011, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Happy Xmas, War is Over.

A very merry Christmas, and a happy New Year.  Let's hope it's a good one without any fear.  War is over over if you want it. War is over, now!

Seriously, I refuse to be cynical about this one fact: our troops are on their way home.  I am rejoicing in that one undeniably wonderful fact.

Hallelujah! They're coming home! joy.gif

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#8 of 9 Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 AM

there's still thousands of troops in Afghanistan. Seems like everyone I know forgets this. I mention that my DH is deploying next fall, and perfectly reasonable, intelligent people (who are up on their current events, no less) look at me flabbergasted and say, "But I thought the war was over?" NO. Afghanistan is still a bitter war, we are sending more troops every day, with no end in sight. Iraq hasn't been a real "combat" zone in a long time, the real fight is in Afghanistan. Please don't forget these men and women...I fear that's exactly what's going to happen now that "our troops are home". Sigh.

Misti, mom to DS (12), DS (9), DD (3), and Mr. Man (October '10)!

#9 of 9 Old 01-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Uh... and we're in Israel right now... for training... ha ha ha.  Right.

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page