Teen calls for boycott of Girl Scout cookies over transgender members - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teen-calls-boycott-girl-scout-cookies-transgender-members-article-1.1005123#commentpostform

I've never been one to speak for the GS... but now... I realize it's not them, it's the parents and kids involved that make things bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah, I read a commentary on this from another news source the other day, and watched the video, and was a bit disgusted.  Kids don't magically come up with this stuff on their own.  I have a feeling that the parents were totally involved with this.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Very sad thing. Haven't decided how much to tell my nearly 9 yo GS about this. Opinions?

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know.  It's very sad that this girl would go out of her way to do this.  I was really at a loss when I saw the video. 

Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellien C View Post

Very sad thing. Haven't decided how much to tell my nearly 9 yo GS about this. Opinions?

What aspect of it?

I have a 10 yo boy and a 13 yo girl and have talked about the girl scouts being an inclusive organization with them.  If I had a girl scout I would be proud of the organization and want my kids to know.  We've talked about it in context of DS not joining the boy scouts because of their policies.

How much do you talk about current events/issues with your 9 yo in general?

Old 01-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Sad. I could only watch halfway through. She was so robotic and coached.  I haven't bought GS cookies in a long time, but I think I will this year. Wish there was a way to find out what troops allowed the transgendered child to join - I'd support them.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

Wish there was a way to find out what troops allowed the transgendered child to join - I'd support them.

The troop that brought the issue to light was in Colorado.  The girl (Bobby Montoya) decided *not* go join, though.  In the Girl Scouts statement, though, they said that there currently ARE other transgender girls enrolled in troops.  I would think finding that out what troops have transgendered girls in them would violate their right to privacy.

There is a facebook page called "Support Trans Inclusivity; Buy Girl Scout Cookies" that has additional information:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/323056437727938/

Quote:

You can:
*Donate directly and let them know it is in support of their inclusivity (and according to GSUSA, you can even ear mark it for LGBTQ initiatives within the Girl Scouts)
*Buy cookies from your local scouts and eat them
*Buy cookies from your local scouts and donate them to organizations that support LGBTQ youth (and/or adults), so that way the Girl Scouts get $$ and credit, and local orgs get the benefit of the cookies.****

Old 01-16-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have a friend who after 30 yrs finally decided to take the step and become a woman.  I'm proud of her and all she has done in her life.  She was a marine, was a husband and is an absolutely wonderful friend.  She is lucky to have so many people that love her and accept her.  Seeing this article after getting a call from my friend made me sick.  People hurt so many others over absolutely ridiculous beliefs.  And it saddens me that this still happens.  It saddens me that there are parents who foster these beliefs and pass them down to their children.  

Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 PM

I wish girl scouts would just be replaced with Kid Scouts or something (having a separate scout organization for girls made sense 100 years ago, but I don't think it's best today), but I have to give them kudos for this.

I made a donation on their website. 

Old 01-16-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

I do too.  I would support it even more if they blended and allowed all kids to participate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

I wish girl scouts would just be replaced with Kid Scouts or something (having a separate scout organization for girls made sense 100 years ago, but I don't think it's best today), but I have to give them kudos for this.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
that video was so sad bigeyes.gif
Old 01-17-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I just bought 20 boxes and donated them to meals on wheels.  I never buy them but obviously I feel the need to now.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM

What strikes me is what a fuss about nothing..I mean how many transgendered girls are joining scouting, what 3 maybe? And it is not like, if as a parent ,I had a problem with it. I wouldn't be able to find another troop. The troops are run pretty independently, and they make it pretty easy to start your own. Freedom of association, works really well here.

on the other hand, I have no problem with someone stating their beliefs, no matter how backward they are. The Girl cares about something and made a video to promote her viewpoint. Good for her. I however, don't agree with her, just her right to be as wackadoo as she wants to be.

Will not affect my cookie buying habits, I buy every box I see and eat the overpriced things like they have crack in them anyway

Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM

what Ruby said. 

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM

Best case scenario: this is all a diabolical plot to sell more Girl Scout cookies. Everyone I know who saw that pathetic video has immediately announced their intention to buy 50 boxes. I bet sales *soar* this year.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Exactly!  Wonder if it's a hoax?  EW SHIESTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post

Best case scenario: this is all a diabolical plot to sell more Girl Scout cookies. Everyone I know who saw that pathetic video has immediately announced their intention to buy 50 boxes. I bet sales *soar* this year.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imakcerka View Post

Exactly!  Wonder if it's a hoax?  EW SHIESTY!

Hoax or no, there are 20 very happy Meals on Wheels recipients in your area!  love.gif

Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I know.  That's all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

Hoax or no, there are 20 very happy Meals on Wheels recipients in your area!  love.gif

Old 01-20-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

The troop that brought the issue to light was in Colorado.  The girl (Bobby Montoya) decided *not* go join, though.  In the Girl Scouts statement, though, they said that there currently ARE other transgender girls enrolled in troops.  I would think finding that out what troops have transgendered girls in them would violate their right to privacy.

There is a facebook page called "Support Trans Inclusivity; Buy Girl Scout Cookies" that has additional information:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/323056437727938/

Thank you! Cookie season just started in my area so I'm going to buy a bunch. I don't even really like them, but I'll give them away. :)

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Old 01-21-2012, 05:04 PM

I so wish I had a GS cookie source!! I want to buy some this year to support their inclusive program!! I don't usually buy them (don't have the money), but I was SO HAPPY to find out that they are inclusive.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyllya View Post

This is probably a little (or a lot) OT, but my 6yo dd is a daisy scout this year and I'm so thankful that it is a girl's organization (and not coed).  She has two brothers and up until the time she joined she really didn't play with other girls at all.  I've noticed a big change in her since she started w/ the daisies, it's really been a positive influence for her already.  So I think there is some merit to keeping it separate.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmom4 View Post

This is probably a little (or a lot) OT, but my 6yo dd is a daisy scout this year and I'm so thankful that it is a girl's organization (and not coed).  She has two brothers and up until the time she joined she really didn't play with other girls at all.  I've noticed a big change in her since she started w/ the daisies, it's really been a positive influence for her already.  So I think there is some merit to keeping it separate.

what kind of changes? (if you don't mind me asking)

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I so wish I had a GS cookie source!!

They used to set up a table outside my work in Texas.  I seriously CAN NOT walk by without buying a box, their cheery little faces melt my heart and I can't get enough of those thin mints.  By the end of the week I had a trunk stash that lasted about 2 months (this stash would've probably lasted a normal person without a thin mint addiction about 6-8 months, I'm sure.)

knit.gifmama to  thumbsuck.gif (09/11)

Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 PM

Good news!!!

Bobby Montoya has found a new Girl Scout Troop and is selling cookies!

If you want to buy a box to support inclusivity and Bobby, specifically, there is information here:

http://imatyfa.org/girlscouts/

Quote:

TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA) has launched this web page to assist a new transgender Girl Scout and her troop with their annual cookie drive.

Bobby Montoya was in the news in 2011 after seeking to join a local Girl Scout troop. Girl Scouts of Colorado released a statement supporting trans youth, saying “If a child identifies as a girl and the child's family presents her as a girl, Girl Scouts of Colorado welcomes her as a Girl Scout.”

Bobby Montoya's Girl Scout Cookie Drive

Bobby is a member of the newly-formed Girl Scouts Colorado Troop 5-4665. Any donations made online will go toward cookies that will be distributed to their hometown charity, Mount Saint Vincent Home, which has assisted over 18,000 abused and neglected Colorado children since 1883. Proceeds will also go to Boots on the Ground, which distributes Girl Scout Cookies to active-duty military servicemembers.

To donate to Bobby’s troop and support Girl Scouts, abused and neglected children, and American servicemembers, please click here.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:32 PM

I live in Colorado and always buy cookies but this year I have to admit that I made sure to buy more.  But in talking to my dealer, I mean Girl Scout's mom, she said that sales are down this year.  It makes me wonder if it's because people are buying through Bobby's site if they don't know a scout personally.

Tags
News
User Tag List