SOPA & PIPA - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Is anyone else following this?

What are your thoughts?

Where can I get more information (about the bills themselves)?

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yup

Wikipedia

Google

Craigslist

and numerous other forums and sites are all down today in protest.  I think it's only for a few hours. 

Sopa and Pipa are a way to block access to certain sites.  This has a lot to do with control of information whether it be for monetary gain, or because it takes away from other sites.  There are numerous companies on board for SOPA and PIPA, this would allow them to garner more traffic by way of forcing us only to go to their sites or use their search engine... Notice Bing is still up? 

However I don't think they will ultimately be passed.  There is a wealthy underground movement that has plans to launch their own satelites and provide internet service, as they're all hackers... I think this is a very good threat to the SOPA and PIPA.  I say let it happen, and if people don't wake up over not being able to access sites freely then we deserve to have our eyes taped and our mouth shut!

WindyCityMom likes this.
#3 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 AM

Of course they say it's about Anti piracy... but it could hurt so many sites.

#4 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 AM

This is from Blackout.org, it's bogged down right now.  But there is some good information on the site if you can get on.

Big media and its allies in Congress are billing the Internet blacklist legislation as a new way to battle online infringement. But innovation and free speech advocates know that this initiative will do little to stop infringement online. What it will do is compromise Internet security, inhibit online expression, and slow growth in the technology sector.

As drafted, the legislation would grant the government and private parties unprecedented power to interfere with the Internet's underlying infrastructure. The government would be able to force ISPs and search engines to block users' attempts to reach certain websites' URLs. In response, third parties will woo average users to alternative servers that offer access to the entire Internet (not just the newly censored U.S. version), which will create new computer security vulnerabilities as the Internet grows increasingly balkanized.

It gets worse: the blacklist bills' provisions would give corporations and other private parties new powers to censor foreign websites with court orders that would cut off payment processors and advertisers. Broad immunity provisions (combined with a threat of litigation) would encourage service providers to overblock innocent users or even block websites voluntarily. This gives content companies every incentive to create unofficial blacklists of websites, which service providers would be under pressure to block without regard to the First Amendment.

Service providers would be forced to monitor and police their users' activities as well, threatening the DMCA safe harbors that have been vital to online innovation over the last decade. SOPA gives the government new powers to go after sites that provide information about tools that might be used to bypass the blacklists – even though these are often the same tools used by democratic activists around the world to bypass Internet censorship mechanisms implemented by authoritarian governments like Iran and China.

Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Representative Darrell Issa (R-CA) have led the charge in explaining how the blacklist bills threaten the very infrastructure of the open Internet, joined by a growing, bipartisan, group of Congress members. The White House also recently stated it will not support a bill that threatens free speech, innovation, and Internet security. But every Senator and Representative should be opposing the PROTECT IP Act and SOPA and we need to hold the White House to its word. Contact your members of Congress today to speak out!

#5 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Thank you Thank you!  My husband is following it quite closely, I just had the "jist" of it until now.  Thanks so much.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#6 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM

No problems, I'm at work... and well that means I have nothing to do.

#7 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Google isn't down and said that they will not be going down (they have their logo blacked out in support, but they are certainly still up).

#8 of 9 Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM

I know I just realized that.  Blacking out their name isn't the same thing. 

#9 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Electronic Frontier Foundation:  https://www.eff.org/

Empty-nesting SAHM to DS1 (1989), DS2 (1992), an underachieving Bernese Mountain Dog (2006-2014), and an overachieving mother (1930).  Married to DH since 1986.

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page