Bulk herbs and brutality toward infants - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I realize this was touched on by the thread about Mary Jane's Farm magazine, but after seeing some more recent posts in other threads recommending bulkherbstore.com, thought I should bring it up as well.

The Bulk Herb Store is owned by Shoshanna Easling, the adult daughter of Michael and Debi Pearl, the authors of To Train Up a Child, which advocates hitting and pinching and pulling the hair of very young infants, as well as beating 6-month-olds with PVC plumbing line. I'm sure many of you are aware of the well-publicized deaths of several children whose parents "disciplined" them according to the Pearls' methods. Ms. Easling remains involved with her parents "ministry," No Greater Joy, and features health-related articles by her mother, Debi Pearl, on The Bulk Herb Store's website.

From what I understand, The Bulk Herb Store is a somewhat popular source for RRL and galactagogue teas among MDC-type mamas, but given its relationship with the Pearls, it seems that many of us would prefer to take our business elsewhere and would rather not see this company's advertisements in the NFL or AP publications we read.

I felt sick at the idea that I could very easily have provided some unknowing support to No Greater Joy ministries, had I just needed some dried lavender or some loose tea, and thought I would pass the word on to other moms who might feel the same.

So horrible...bawling.gif

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#2 of 11 Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 PM

Thank you so much for posting this! I had no idea there was a connection and I've shared this info with my DDC. hug2.gif

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#3 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 01:07 AM

oh my gosh, that is horrifying. thank you for the post! :(

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#4 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM

To what extent is she personally involved with that message?  It would seem a shame to punish her for the family she was born into, but if she herself is promoting that message, idk...

#5 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Debi Pearl routinely writes articles for The Bulk Herb Store - which you can find under the Article section.  All of those link to the "No Greater Joy Ministries"  I believe it is safe to assume that she is still pretty tied in with her parents.  

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#6 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM

And I believe Shoshanna writes for NGJ magazine, although it's been a VERY long time since I've seen one, thank God.  I used to buy from BHS, but I don't anymore for this very reason.  It makes me ill to think that a penny of my money went to support NGJ in any way. 

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#7 of 11 Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, Shoshanna Easling is herself involved with No Greater Joy ministries, which publishes, promotes, and teaches To Train Up a Child and the Pearl "child training" methods.  Bulk Herb Store sells several of the Pearls's books, and Ms. Easling links to and promotes the No Greater Joy on Facebook. Further, she has herself contributed articles to the No Greater Joy website and magazine, and has worked on instructional videos for NGJ.  She defends and embraces her parents methods here: http://nogreaterjoy.org/articles/yes-i-am-normal/.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#8 of 11 Old 09-07-2012, 01:22 PM

OHMYGOD !!! I have never heard of them before , but after reading up a bit on them , I have to admit , I am shocked !

Isn´t there some kind of law for people , who openly promote child abuse ?

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#9 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM

Thank you for posting this. The Pearls are my personal axe to grind, along with Babywise. 

The people who advocate using their "to train up a child" BS claim "its all taken out of context". Yeah, like you can take using a switch or PLUMBING SUPPLY LINE on a 6 month old out of context. You dont' forget horrifying stuff like that. Their books are like, step by step manuals for child abuse. irked.gif

http://magadociousrex.blogspot.com/  
We're a co-sleeping, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering , baby and toddler wearing family!

Roland 04/2010 30 hour labor. Vaginal but not natural birth. 

Zeisel 08/2012 15 hour labor, completely natural hospital water birth. 

goorganic.jpgtranstichel.giffamilybed2.gifbfinfant.gifslingtwin.gifwaterbirth.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifplacenta.gif

#10 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Mountain Rose Herbs sells in bulk if you need an alternative. 

#11 of 11 Old 03-24-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Mountain Rose Herbs sells in bulk if you need an alternative. 

I too buy a lot of my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs. their quality and prices are pretty good.

Tags
Activism

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page