Pertuzumab (breast cancer drug) under review, but won't be released early for compassionate use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-17-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC5v_b2RZ-w

This YouTube video is heartbreaking. The woman, Darlene, is a dear friend of mine. She is dying of breast cancer.

A promising new drug called pertuzumab is under FDA review right now. The earliest the FDA will approve it is June 8 and the manufacturer won't release it early for compassionate use.

Without the drug, Darlene is likely to die before June 8. With the drug, she has a good chance of stabilizing or even turning her dire health situation around. She previously was on a related drug, Herceptin, and saw amazing results. So right now her life is a horrible game of beat the clock: Will she live long enough to get the life-saving drug she needs? Or will she die just days before the drug is approved?

Please take a moment to watch even 30 seconds of this video. If it gets enough clicks, maybe the drug manufacturer or the FDA will agree to release pertuzumab early for compassionate use. I'm so angry that a drug is being withheld from a dying woman. The drug will almost certainly be approved. What's the harm in releasing it early to the most desperate patients?

By the way, Darlene is a "Mothering" sort of mom. She's all organic and into alternative medicine. She's survived six years at Stage 4 because she blends traditional and alternative treatments.

Thank you for listening.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 PM

I just want you to know that you are not alone in your mission.  My sister-in-law Dawn is also a dear friend of Darlene's and told me about her battle.  As a nurse I was left with such sadness knowing what she is facing now and in the future.  We've sent out pleas along with her video to The Ellen Show, Good Morning America and a couple of other venues in hopes that someone will reply and allow Darlene to share her story.  We can only hope her wish is granted while she is still with us but if not, allow her comfort in knowing that her amazing strength and courage has and will affect many and her friends will continue her mission.  Her plea and wish will not go in vain!!!  She is blessed to have such loving and amazing friends which speaks volumes regarding who she is and her character.  I have no doubt that she is a hero to many including myself!  Thank you for being that friend we all wish to be. My prayers are with her and her family. <3 <3 <3 

#3 of 5 Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

Nurse4u2no,

Thank you for your help! I'm thrilled to know there are so many caring people out there willing to join Team Darlene and help get this done!

#4 of 5 Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

It worked! She's getting the drug!

Thank you, everyone, for viewing the video and reposting the link all over Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr, and more. Thank you for the calls, emails, and faxes to the drug company.

Genentech has reversed its stance and will allow Darlene access to pertuzumab for compassionate use.

Here's the story that ran on local TV last night:http://www.abcactionnews.com//dpp/news/health/dying-moms-plea-for-investigational-drug-is-heard-friends-and-abc-action-news-helps-make-it-happen

#5 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM

joy.gif

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page