Advice on how to keep Walmart out of our town? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 04-18-2012, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that they are planning to build a Walmart in our suburb! It's not under construction yet and I'm wondering what would be the best way to try to stop it getting built. I've scoured the internet but really not found much practical info. 

It all seems pretty fishy really. A suburb near us successfully fought off Walmart a few years ago. In reading about that it appears they were able to because of zoning laws, and knowing it was Walmart they were fighting. In our case, from what I've gathered, it looks like they put Target's name on the project, got all the zoning laws changed and kept the "For Sale Or Lease" sign up on the property til everything was completely set up, and THEN pulled Target's name and announced Walmart.

Meanwhile, our city has been planning a lightrail that appeared to go nowhere. Well guess what!? It goes straight to the Walmart site! They've also done major construction on several roads to improve traffic near that area (which is still terrible and will get even worse). 

The site is sitting on sensitive wetland areas. I need to figure out how to look into whatever studies have been done because I know at least one endangered turtle lives in our local wetlands. 

We are just so afraid of this happening! We never would have bought a house in this location if we knew there was a chance of that. It's pretty well documented that Walmarts increase crime rates and decrease property values. 

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice. What may have worked in your communities? How do I get started? I'm considering figuring out how to start a petition, trying to figure out what the environmental impacts are, and learning more about how this all got in under everyone's radar. Usually our city isn't so downright stupid! I wish I knew a hacker or a news reporter or something lol. 

Tags
Activism

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page