Boy Scouts reaffirmed ban on gays - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2012, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post

Belief in a god is a requirement.  Which, by definition, excludes atheists.  I'm surprised as a leader you don't know that. 
Sorry, I don't understand what point you are making. There are no atheists in my unit, nor did I say atheists could be in BSA. All Scouts promise to do their duty to God, but we don't make their family members do so. Unless they are registering with BSA as adult volunteers, it isn't anyone's business if the Scout's family members are part of an organized religion or not. I am surprised by your seemingly pointless comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:22 AM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but my issue is that the boy scouts are not exactly a private group. They receive public funding- tax dollars, federal charters, they get tax exemptions, they get use of space, personnel, and time in public schools, use of public facilities...I don't feel like they should be able to have it both ways. They should either be public and open to all, or they can be private and have limited/discriminatory membership but should not rely on public help. 

UPS and Intel recently pulled out from funding the boy scouts any further due to their anti-gay policies.

There's also all of the information that has come out recently about the cover ups in molestation cases within the boy scouts organization. Overall, it's just not something I would ever want my son to be a part of.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Limena View Post

Sorry, I don't understand what point you are making. There are no atheists in my unit, nor did I say atheists could be in BSA. All Scouts promise to do their duty to God, but we don't make their family members do so. Unless they are registering with BSA as adult volunteers, it isn't anyone's business if the Scout's family members are part of an organized religion or not. I am surprised by your seemingly pointless comment.

What do family members have to do with this?  Belief in a god is a requirement of BSA.  It's in their oath.  It's common knowledge.  So if a scout is an atheist, ergo BSA would exclude them from the organization. 

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

thumb.gif

What if you lived 50 years ago and your child really really wanted to join the club that excluded blacks or jews?  Is it "not letting him be himself" by saying, "our family believes in equality, we do not give our time and money to organizations that fight against it."  Well, it's the same thing.  The boy scouts take your dues and use them to fight in court for the *right* to exclude non-heterosexuals and atheists.  They say that is the only way to raise *moral* children. 

yeahthat.gif

Tags
News
User Tag List