Global Warming will be the death of our species, including our children. Newest science spells urgency! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2012, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey Mamas.  I'm sharing with you because I know you have bigger balls than most people, and you have the wisdom to recognize an inevitable threat to your children, when you see one. 

I am a mama of four children (pregnant with a 5th, for chrissake).  Over a month ago now, my husband and I read an article by Bill McKibben (of 350.org) which introduced us to the latest science of global warming/climate change.  The timelines which scientists had been presenting (including Al Gore) up until the last couple of years have been slapped around.  They were far too conservative, not calculating for positive feedback loops which exponentially speed up the warming process.  Changes which they were expecting to happen decades from now, are already well into expression, and dramatic increase of severe weather anomolies which have been knocking humanity about recently are only the beginning of this process. 

I'm writing in here to promote awareness and encourage all who are ready to take this seriously, begin to educate yourselves on the recent science, and prepare for radical changes.  Also, to give you the heads up from another mother:  the pervasive climate change "skepticiscm" --denialism-- is not based in science (though it presents itself as scientifically founded!), it is based purely in the incentive of its proponents to profit from the funding of the coil, oil, and gas industries, which invest in every person they can find who is willing to claim they don't see the proof and evidence of global warming.  The assertion that global warming is a hoax, is, itself, the big hoax.  A dangerous conscious deception designed to preserve the profits of the fossil fuel energy industry for as long as possible.

I can write about this all day, and I know that some of you are ready for more information.  For you, here are two links which will bring you to many more links.

This is that website I referred to earlier:  an online base for the social movement for bringing atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide back down to 350 parts per million. www.350.org

And this is the links page on my families blog...where we share some of our favorite sources for understanding our plight.  http://www.pacingtheplanet.blogspot.com/p/articles-and-links.html

Now, if you go to that blog, you will see what it is that my family is doing about this.  We have set aside our day-to-day lives to begin our own campaign to raise awareness of this urgent issue.  We are walking with a wagon, a miniature donkey cart, and a miniature pack-donkey along roads and through neighborhoods (this fall:  in Missouri and Iowa).  We are travelling to universities and other interested venues to give presentations and speeches on this matter, and the small window of time that we have to hope that we might affect positive change...perhaps rescuing the lives of ourselves and our children. 

Here is a link to one of my writings on this subject...a speech I wrote recently, which I have half a mind to share with the students at Truman this week: 

http://www.pacingtheplanet.blogspot.com/2012/08/because-i-really-want-to-be-granny-some.html

www.pacingtheplanet.org is a link that will take you to our blog for more information about our project. 

For those of you who are inspired by our project, I will share that we are currently fundraising for our walk, and that link is here:  http://www.wethetrees.com/projects/38-pacing-the-planet

If you recognize the gravity of this issue, please share any of these links or informations which occur to you as being significant.  Let people know that you care.  We are at the very beginning of a very fast race to spread information, inspire bravery, and act swiftly and profoundly.

And if you are intersted in networrking with me or my family, you can meet me on facebook.  Yes I know its evil and all that.  But if you're there, search for me:  dana.mcguire.24  should get you to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read and *high five*! 

Dana McHonkenquacken

Poly Wife to: 

Gavain McHonkenquacken

Mama to: 

Egon Zap (m, 10)

Poppy Vespertine (f, 7)

Simon Lavender (aka Skeletor Hawk) (m, 4)

Tillwyn Calliope (f, 1)

and a determined, sweet, pitter-pattering life form, about the size of an apple, who is forcing me to eat icecream (due...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Nice. Thanks for sharing. :)

Old 10-12-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is awesome.

Beautiful Day in Paradise  @BeautifulDayMom  facebook.com/beautifuldaymama

Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yes, global warming along with peak oil, death of marine life, water scarcity and gross overpopulation are some of the issues our children and grandchildren will have to deal with, will have to survive through. A new book called The Blueprint: Averting Global Collapse http://www.amazon.com/The-Blueprint-Averting-GlobalCollapse/dp/1470135884/ref=sr_1_1ie=UTF8&qid=1364136301&sr=8-1&keywords=the+blueprint+averting+global+collapse not only talks about all those problems but for the first time offers some very concrete mitigation measures to every and each of them in great details (global warming, energy, transportation, water scarcity, sustainable agriculture and farming, getting out of the oceans, population reduction). I highly recommend reading it if you are interested in the subject.

Tags
Activism
User Tag List