Such sad news from Connecticut - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My heart goes out to all of those families.

#2 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

it's horrible. I will never understand how someone can just decide to go out and destroy peoples' lives... My heart goes out to everyone affected and I'll be hugging my children extra tight today

familybed2.gifSAHM, military wife, momma to DSD 2004lady.gif, 2007angel1.gif, DS 2008jog.gif,  DD 2011 jog.gif

lactivist.gifintactivist.gifh20homebirth.gifcd.giffly-by-nursing2.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 AM

I have no words.  Well, I have lots of words, but they probably shouldn't be written down.  What kind of a person, indeed...  candle.gif

WOHM to Leo (4/08) reading.gif and enjoying the journey with DH geek.gif

Announcing the arrival of Clara in August 2013! homebirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/27-dead-in-connecticut-school-shooting-reports-1.1079337

brokenheart.gif…….

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#5 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM

How do you even begin to explain something like this to your children?  It's just horrible.  My heart is breaking for the families affected.

#6 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 PM

I can't explain it. I will make sure my kids have the info (all teens- from young teens to older) and can come to me with questions. We live in CO so have already had many crazy people with guns discussions.
#7 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM

such a sad story.....prayers to  the families  candle.gif

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#8 of 12 Old 12-15-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISDiva View Post

What kind of a person, indeed...  candle.gif

A very ill and tormented one. :(

#9 of 12 Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiger View Post

A very ill and tormented one. greensad.gif
Yes. Obviously not a perfectly sane and rational person. Very sad greensad.gif

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#10 of 12 Old 12-18-2012, 10:04 PM

This isn't just sad news, it is more sad news (after Arizona, Wisconsin, Colorado, Oregon and now Connecticut), but this time horrifyingly sad and disturbing to the bones. 

It's wrong to not talk about this and not communicate it to children who are old enough to hear it from peers or elsewhere. Children who don't learn about this from their parents will not know how to cope with it once they hear it from other sources, because they won't really have a model for how to respond and process. And really, the question is about guns just as much as it is about mental instability. 

If mothers aren't thinking about this, processing it and making their voices heard, there won't be any more safety than there is now, and obviously that is not good enough.

The isolating, screen-obsessed time in which many young people spend their entry into adulthood is simply appalling. Add to that the presence of any mental instability and the easy access to guns and you have this scary scenario. It is horrifying that there are so many guns floating out there and no regulation. 

Tonight on TV, I listened to a man being interviewed (Larry Pratt) who declared that teachers should be armed so this doesn't happen. He is the Exec Director of Gun Owners of America. And then I learnt that this man is extraordinarily powerful, having politicians on his side.

In my view this man was completely out of line and simply insane. To have a teacher carrying a rifle in every room in every school is simply horrible. Yet that is what he wants. It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#11 of 12 Old 01-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Holly crap. We run a family farm. Guns have fallen out of holsters or whatever they were held with onto hayride wagons with little kids. This has happened. The scenario of more guns in school is so scary. Kindergarten, preschool teachers couldn't give hugs cause there'd be a gun there. How would one break up a fight with 6th graders with a gun on them. It's scary breaking up fights. How many kids are gonna get a gun pointed at them for fighting? Who's gonna pay that therapy bill? Even if it wasn't on the body just in the room what is the atmosphere there? What would suicidal kids think of all day? Maybe how to get ahold of that gun? Guns would at times fall to the floor for some reason or another and then we have more opportunity for kids with guns.
#12 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Take heart that the majority of teachers do not want to be armed; I live in an ultra conservative state with high gun ownership and 99% of the teachers I work with do not want to be armed at school. We have an armed police officer on campus and many security procedures in place, and I am happy that we do. I do not want to be responsible for a gun; what if a student steals it? (I teach in a high school).

Tags
News

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page