Mothering Forum banner

Whipping babies

22K views 374 replies 119 participants last post by  spero 
#1 ·
I am an attachment parent, homeschooling my daughter and very interested in what is going on with homeschooling. I received a magazine last week, Home School Digest, that truly shocked me. I knew this magazine always had ads for whips to beat babies and young children (see http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org...uct-review.jpg ) and this ad was again in this latest issue I just received. The articles in this latest issue were really scary; there were 3 of them that encouraged parents to whip babies and young children and even gave instructions on how to do it.

This magazine is being offered by HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) with a 44% discount - see:
http://www.homeschoolfoundation.org/...es%3AMagazines

I am appalled that HSLDA is doing this!! No baby or young child should be whipped, and parents should not be encouraged to whip their babies!! Please take a moment to complain to HSLDA using their feedback form:
https://secure.hslda.org/hslda/feedback.asp

Thank you everyone for caring about children! BTW, Parenting in Jesus Footsteps is a site that is definitely AGAINST all hitting of babies/children. They even have a petition to sign against corporal punishment of kids http://www.parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/petition.html And here's a new petition specifically against "The Rod" http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/petition-2.html

See less See more
#27 ·
yeah, but, moss, the Christian Bible says that everyone gets it from God (chastening) if He loves them so who can then tell a parent not to do something that God does AND they are receiving from God? If one is chastened, one is gonna chasten. That's how the cycle continues.

Sorry this is so derailed but honestly, it is good to know where people stand.

And I wrote the HSLDA. Not that they will give a damn.

#30 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Greaseball
Why should a baby be chastened for rebelling? What exactly is so wrong with a baby who doesn't feel the need to do every stupid thing his parents tell him to do?
The lemming-training begins early amongst these types, I guess. Gotta get 'em to fall into line quickly, don't ya know, lest they think for themselves.

#31 ·
Religious freaks (who are different from just regular religious people) often assume that babies are "sinners" and deserve to be punished for things like crying. I can't imagine what kind of a sick person would see the need to impose "physical discomfort" on a baby for normal baby behavior. Some people don't understand that babies aren't here to do our bidding and make life easy for us. We're the ones who are supposed to be making life great for them!

#32 ·
I wish I had never opened this thread. I thought only crackwhores hit their babies. I realize how sick and wrong I was to think that. I thought only total drug addict freaks hit little babies. I really didn't believe anyone ever hit a baby, especially in the name of God. If I were God I would be doing some big time striking down right now.

#34 ·
Thank you for all your replies and complaining to HSLDA! It all helps. The ad in the mag is truly horrifying; that whip is 3 times as long as my daughter is wide '
'

It's illegal in most states to use such a thing on a pet - how can this be legal to use on a child? It's illegal to hit an adult; even convicts are protected from all corporal punishment. I weep for the babies who are "trained" with this torture device. I wonder what HSLDA is getting out of promoting this rag??

The Pearls are definitely into whipping babies. In this last issue of Home School Digest this frightening article appeared (taken from the Pearl's No Greater Joy sight): http://www3.nogreaterjoy.org/newpage11.htm
They've published a book called "To Train Up a Child" in which they advise parents to whip their babies with a "rod" to "train" them. It's just sickening.

*** Stop "The Rod" *** http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/petition-2.html

#35 ·
Quote:
So how do we induce a child to practice self-control in the early years before he is mature enough to understand the need to do so? A small child learns self-control when his will is constrained by an outside force - in our case, that outside force is his parents.
: Self-control?

Quote:
Keep in mind, the younger the child is the less he is able to retain in his memory the association between the act and the consequences. The smaller a child is the more he lives in the present only. That is why so many parents have found their spankings so ineffective when they remove the child from the scene of the transgression to administer discipline. By the time the child has been led into the bedroom, he has forgotten the transgression. He associates the spanking with the bedroom, not the deed done in the living room. The same loss of association occurs when you delay spanking to grill the child with long lectures. He forgets the transgression and thinks he is getting a spanking for being bored with the speech. It is much more effective to keep several rods handy - one in every room - and be ready to administer one or two licks within seconds of the transgression. You don't need to make a lengthy ritual out of it. Some parents try to turn discipline into a revival meeting, complete with altar calls.
The fact a child is of an age to not have a 2 minute recall means to hit them FASTER?!?!?

Sick, sick and twisted, sick, twisted and just plain WRONG :puke

#37 ·
I personally don't particularly want to raise up obedient children. Obedient children are the ones who get sexually molested and never tell a soul. They were told not to tell by an adult and they very obediently, don't tell.

Its NOT wrong to question authority, especially when the authority is doing something wrong, which it very often is. I wish more people had been raised to question authority. Things like the death camps in Germany might not have happened if everyone questioned the authority. After all, you can't kill everyone.

#41 ·
SO I spent some time reading several articles on the Pearl's site. I am disgusted by most of it. BTW they also had an article on betrothals (arranged marriages) However they explained in detail in one article what type and kind of hitting should be involved with what ages and offense etc. It said babies only need a tap or swat on the hand....they are not whipping them with a rod. Not that any of that is right.

What I do agree with is that firm boundaries from a young age (as soon as a child is willfull....toddlerhood) If a 15 month old know they are not going to get away with tearing up books or jumping on the table then they won't be trying it at the age of 4, KWIM. I think that many of us agreee with this but use other methods of discipline to correct the behavior. I personally do want my children to obey me as I obey my DH and we all obey God. I will also swat my kids when they are disobedient. I was doing gentle discipline and it was not working, once I started spanking consistently it became few and far between that I have a disobidinet child they obey and are happy AND our home is far calmer and we have a better time together. I know most of you are not going to agree with that.

Another point I want to make is that I know many very conservative Christian friends and I cannot see any of them doing these things even though they believe in obidience and spanking. I think this is a VERY EXTREME example of an out there group of people. Most of thier site made me sick and I am pretty conservative myself.

#42 ·
Quote:
I was doing gentle discipline and it was not working,
Gentle discipline doesn't work immediately. It isn't supposed to. It is a way of life; a way of communicating with people that sustains children throughout their lifetime. You don't reap the benefits until they are older.

Beware of quick fixes.

#46 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gethane
I personally don't particularly want to raise up obedient children. Obedient children are the ones who get sexually molested and never tell a soul. They were told not to tell by an adult and they very obediently, don't tell.

Its NOT wrong to question authority, especially when the authority is doing something wrong, which it very often is. I wish more people had been raised to question authority. Things like the death camps in Germany might not have happened if everyone questioned the authority. After all, you can't kill everyone.
Yeah. and in addition, defying us is an important part of our kids' development, where they develope a sense of themselves as individuals by striving for some level of autonomy/seperating themselves from us.

And
: don't even get me started on the effects this kind of violent parenting has on our society overall! auggghhh!

#49 ·
Quote:
I personally do want my children to obey me as I obey my DH and we all obey God
I certainly don't "obey" my DH, we have mutual respect - which is what I strive for with my dd. And my definition of God does not include someone who needs to be obeyed. If my husband ever expected me to obey him, he'd get a swift flying bird in his face

As for "chastising" children - it is so sick and saddens me so much. Barbaric is the word that comes to mind. Violence is for those who can't think of anything eles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.