Whipping babies - Mothering Forums

#1 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am an attachment parent, homeschooling my daughter and very interested in what is going on with homeschooling. I received a magazine last week, Home School Digest, that truly shocked me. I knew this magazine always had ads for whips to beat babies and young children (see http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org...uct-review.jpg ) and this ad was again in this latest issue I just received. The articles in this latest issue were really scary; there were 3 of them that encouraged parents to whip babies and young children and even gave instructions on how to do it.

This magazine is being offered by HSLDA (Home School Legal Defense Association) with a 44% discount - see:
http://www.homeschoolfoundation.org/...es%3AMagazines

I am appalled that HSLDA is doing this!! No baby or young child should be whipped, and parents should not be encouraged to whip their babies!! Please take a moment to complain to HSLDA using their feedback form:
https://secure.hslda.org/hslda/feedback.asp

Thank you everyone for caring about children! BTW, Parenting in Jesus Footsteps is a site that is definitely AGAINST all hitting of babies/children. They even have a petition to sign against corporal punishment of kids http://www.parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/petition.html And here's a new petition specifically against "The Rod" http://parentinginjesusfootsteps.org/petition-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM

This is one of the sickest things I have ever seen. And the idea that people could possibly think that Jesus would want them to torture their children leaves me speechless.
#3 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is beyond Ezzo.

#4 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 02:40 PM

I especially like the way the handle is cushioned, so as to be comfortable for the person using it to beat their child. I'm sure it's exactly the kind of thing Jesus would use. . .
#5 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

Whoa.

The HSLDA has some major problems (anti gay, militant Christian, etc.). I am floored.

I will write to them. But I would bet nothing changes, sadly. HSLDA probably isn't going to start drawing lines in the sand between corporal punishment and whipping.

AND, that Digest features articles from Dobson, the Pearls, and Jeb Bush so that rod advert is right in step with these people.
#6 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 02:51 PM

Oh my word. That is beyond appalling.

I wonder if they have any Canadian subscribers? If they do, they need to be aware that hitting a child using any object is criminal assault in Canada. Not that they care, probably: sounds like they have a serious dose of self-righteousness to gird themselves against criticism.
#7 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 02:52 PM

I'm sad to see John Taylor Gatto's name on the list. I think these religious wackos give homeschooling a bad name; why would Gatto want to be associated with them?
#8 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 PM

my gracious goddess. this is so far beyond appalling i am literally feeling sick.
#9 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 03:26 PM

message sent ~

I was appalled to see in the latest issue of a magazine your organization endorses that not only were there advertisements for whips meant for whipping children (quote from an ad: "... Rods are for chastening"), but there were also three articles in the magazine that encourage parents to whip or beat their children. This is unacceptable. No baby or young child should be whipped or beaten ~ NO child should be beaten, EVER ~ and your organization should not endorse a publication which encourages this atrocious behaviour.
#10 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 03:59 PM

On another board I actually saw someone posting about wanting one of those 'rods' in the article and offering it as a discipline tool to another mom with a troubled (her words) toddler. :Puke that is horrendus and awful and I said so.
#11 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM

I wrote them and told them they were pawns of the devil!:LOL I figure if they have this religious righteousness going on, I should put it in terms they can understand! Freakin' aweful people!
#12 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:09 PM

Complaint sent!

How can people be so cruel and ignorant? Things like this I just can't understand. Jesus would have never ever beat a child.
#13 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:12 PM
pie

do some christians really believe that following in jesus footsteps involves

BEATING CHILDREN AND BABIES???

Oh yeah wwjd, beat kids? uh huh yeah right. I am so pissed off.
#14 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 PM

I would be horrified too if they advocated whipping or beating babies. Any sane person would. But as far as I can see, they don't (neither do the Pearl's).

There is a difference (at least in thier minds) between violent, angry beating and "chastening" as they put it. There is also a difference between "baby" and "child", namely, age and maturity.

I know better than to advocate spanking here on MDC. But what about relating things as they actually are, instead of using more inflamatory phrasing? I know there won't be any problem getter support against HSDL and spanking-advocates even if you posted word for word.
#15 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I would be horrified too if they advocated whipping or beating babies. Any sane person would. But as far as I can see, they don't (neither do the Pearl's).
I've read stuff from the Pearls that advocates spanking babies as young as 6 weeks. (Though I guess not literally "whipping" them.) Still horrible IMO. Even Ezzo waits until 6 months!
#16 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I feel so sorry for the children whose parents think that's a great tool for teaching them how to behave.
#17 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by cappuccinosmom
There is a difference (at least in thier minds) between violent, angry beating and "chastening" as they put it. There is also a difference between "baby" and "child", namely, age and maturity.
How do you 'chasten' using the specific 'rod'? Help us understand, since you bring up the difference (in their minds which you seem to comprehend).

I already said that nothing will change in this situation as the HSLDA isn't going to draw up a chart showing where spanking becomes whipping and chastening becomes illegal abuse. They leave that up to the rod holder who owns their children sent from God.

But please, do help us understand what is involved in a 'chastening' with that specific rod in the advert. Because the Lord chastens those whom he loves.
#18 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:43 PM

I have a feeling that if this "chastening" were done to an adult, it would be illegal. It's only OK to chasten defenseless children.:
#19 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

I think it would be okay in those advertisers minds (and authors) to chasten pets, too.

Where does the chastening occur on the body, cappucinosmom? I forgot to ask that, sorry. When I look at the advert for the rod, it is so long, I'd have to stand way back to get a good swing.

They do include a 'safety tip', btw. Probably the usual eye injury warning. Can't be 'ages 3 and up'.
#20 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 06:51 PM

Quoting the ad ...

"The ideal tool for child training"

Training a child to be what? Terrified of his or her parents?

Oh, and check out the smiley face right before "RODS are for chastening." Yea, the idea of hitting a child puts a grin right on me.

This is just sick, sick, sick.

Best to all,

JA
#21 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 PM

I don't understand how it can be legal to advertise a product such as the rod.
It is not only condoning agressive/abusive behavior towards children--it is openly encouraging it
:Puke

I'm pretty much against censorship--until it comes to ads (is that considered censorship when you want to restrict advertising? )

I used to babysit for a family that insisted I "use the spoon" on their boys. I thought they were joking, until one day it came up in conversation with the kids and I asked if it was for real and they said yes
I *never* once in ALL the time I spent with them EVER saw the need to do more than tell them "That isn't okay--why don't we go do ____ instead"
Poor kids

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#22 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:08 PM

Quote:

I know better than to advocate spanking here on MDC. But what about relating things as they actually are, instead of using more inflamatory phrasing? I know there won't be any problem getter support against HSDL and spanking-advocates even if you posted word for word.
Do you advocate spanking?

heartbeat.gif

#23 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:09 PM

>But please, do help us understand what is involved in a 'chastening' with that specific rod in the advert. Because the Lord chastens those whom he loves.

From what I have read, "chastening" is for the purpose of correcting rebellion. That particular viewpoint holds that parents have such authority over thier children. They believe that authority gives the right of correction. God has authority over His children. His chastening is not always comfortable--sometimes He has to use discomfort to us in order for us to grow. The government has authority over it's subjects. They use that authority to "chasten" law-breakers. Not comfortable either. The Pearl's and others (I wouldn't include Ezzo's at all--they come from a totally different perspective, and having read *all* the Pearl's stuff, I saw that they *discouraged* switching babies and always have said that frequent switching is a sign that the parents are doing something wrong ) see nothing wrong with making sure that rebellion results in physical discomfort. Generally using the rod in a place on the body that doesn't do lasting damage but stings a little (calves or back of the hand). Having been "chastened" as a child I know it is not always a matter of releasing parental frustration, or angry punishment. Some parents actually want to raise well-tempered and obedient children and believe that this is the best way to do it.

I really don't mind the anti-spanking argument. Semantics are important though. "Whipping babies" gives a mental image of an angry, red-faced parent raising their arm again and again againgst a tiny, helpless, uncomprehending infant. I have never met any devout Christian who does that, though they may see spanking children as ok.
#24 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:11 PM

>Do you advocate spanking?

Let's just say I don't militate for or against it.
#25 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

Thank you, cappucinosmom for explaining yourself further. I do appreciate it!

The Pearls get no points from me for 'discouraging switching of babies' and saying that 'frequent switching' indicates a parent in error. It is ghastly.
#26 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 PM

Quote:
>Do you advocate spanking?

Let's just say I don't militate for or against it.
Quote:
>But please, do help us understand what is involved in a 'chastening' with that specific rod in the advert. Because the Lord chastens those whom he loves.

From what I have read, "chastening" is for the purpose of correcting rebellion. That particular viewpoint holds that parents have such authority over thier children. They believe that authority gives the right of correction. God has authority over His children. His chastening is not always comfortable--sometimes He has to use discomfort to us in order for us to grow. The government has authority over it's subjects. They use that authority to "chasten" law-breakers. Not comfortable either. The Pearl's and others (I wouldn't include Ezzo's at all--they come from a totally different perspective, and having read *all* the Pearl's stuff, I saw that they *discouraged* switching babies and always have said that frequent switching is a sign that the parents are doing something wrong ) see nothing wrong with making sure that rebellion results in physical discomfort. Generally using the rod in a place on the body that doesn't do lasting damage but stings a little (calves or back of the hand). Having been "chastened" as a child I know it is not always a matter of releasing parental frustration, or angry punishment. Some parents actually want to raise well-tempered and obedient children and believe that this is the best way to do it.

I really don't mind the anti-spanking argument. Semantics are important though. "Whipping babies" gives a mental image of an angry, red-faced parent raising their arm again and again againgst a tiny, helpless, uncomprehending infant. I have never met any devout Christian who does that, though they may see spanking children as ok.

I feel very sad for any children that are treated like that

heartbeat.gif

#27 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

yeah, but, moss, the Christian Bible says that everyone gets it from God (chastening) if He loves them so who can then tell a parent not to do something that God does AND they are receiving from God? If one is chastened, one is gonna chasten. That's how the cycle continues.

Sorry this is so derailed but honestly, it is good to know where people stand.

And I wrote the HSLDA. Not that they will give a damn.
#28 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 08:10 PM

Why should a baby be chastened for rebelling? What exactly is so wrong with a baby who doesn't feel the need to do every stupid thing his parents tell him to do?

I want to raise a NORMAL child. Normal children sometimes rebel. Oh, and I still love them.:
#29 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
pie

:

why the smile? You don't militate for or against it? What does that mean? You don't think hitting a baby with a rod is bad news? I am assuming the red heart on the baby butt in your sig isn't something you'd like to be viewed as a target.
#30 of 375 Old 04-22-2004, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Greaseball
Why should a baby be chastened for rebelling? What exactly is so wrong with a baby who doesn't feel the need to do every stupid thing his parents tell him to do?
The lemming-training begins early amongst these types, I guess. Gotta get 'em to fall into line quickly, don't ya know, lest they think for themselves.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page