Why do some SAHM's insist they have to shop at Walmart? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People shop at walmart because that's where they are in life. If some of you have the time, money, energy, resources, and know-how to never go there, and know and understand all the reasons you feel nobody should, good for you. The rest of us are working on it.

I don't like spending my money there, but sometimes we do. Because it's the best price, or it's the easiest way to get everything I need in one go instead of dragging an infant all over creation. I think giving my money to walmart stinks, but I also think giving my money to just about any big chain/corporation stinks.

I also worked there, and really am constantly baffled by everyones railing on about how horribly they treat their employees.
I've worked in retail for years, and from my experience and talking to coworkers, it's actually one of the better places.

Yes, I just said that walmart was the best retail job I've had. The pay was better than anywhere else (more than a dollar over min. wage starting) and the benefits were also the best I've ever seen or heard of for a cashier or salesperson (ok, except cosco, they're supposedly awsome).

It's not that I was getting rich, or had benefits to rival what we get now through my husbands computer job, of course not. It's RETAIL! People expect to walk in off the street with zero education or experience, unload boxes from the truck, and get pay and benefits comparable to software programming or management or nursing, and that's just so unrealistic and, IMHO, quite silly.

So like I said if you have the ability, and care about it enough, to never shop there, that's wonderful. And I don't even mean it sarcastically, that really is good.

The rest of us will keep on doing the best WE can. Maybe we just have a different focus to our lives right now, maybe a lot of us (like me) are working really hard to change our whole way of life and can only change so much at one time while expecting it to stick.

So, there you go. My two cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:01 PM

I don't shop at walmart or sam's for soooo many reasons. Money is always real tight at our house and some people would say that I'm shooting myself in the foot, but I just won't go there. I even have a free business membership to sam's (through a family member). I've found other ways to make up the difference. Oh, and I am a sahm. That is just what works for me.
#33 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:04 PM

I know I'll prolly get flamed for this, but I really feel passionately about it.

I wrote this in my LJ after another recent Wal Mart thread. I didn't feel it was appropriate at the time, but now I do.

"So on a board I post on, there's this discussion about whether people shop at Wal Mart. A lot of people (including me) think it's evil. And some don't, and that's fine, I don't care. But what gets me is the people who are like, "Well, I don't like WalMart, but I have no choice but to shop there." WTF??? Where in the world does someone live that there are NO stores around other than WalMart? What did they do before WalMart? And I know that WalMart has cheap stuff, but at what price to the community?

So, I started thinking about the goods you can buy at WalMart, and how to get them cheaply from other (sustainable) sources.

Food is a biggie: Well, there are the OTHER stores, Kroger, etc. Not particularly sustainable, but anything is better than WalMart. There are also farmer's markets, and growing your own. Sure, some of these take energy (and gas, if your farmer's market is far away), but you'd be supporting local people, and that's really important in a time when lots of local buinesses are being wiped out by these huge corporate conglomerates. Also, you can make better food choices. If you eat more grains (whole grains here, not wonderbread, people), fruits and veggies, and beans, then you'd be able to afford more food. Boxed stuff is expensive. You're paying for a label and for packaging. If you HAVE to shop at Wal Mart, you could just buy produce there... it's so cheap, that WalMart doesn't really make a profit off of it. But if you shop in season, and buy loss leaders, then you can usually get stuff for the same price or less than you'd spend at WalMart.

Right. Moving on.

Clothing: This is one of the easiest, IMO, to get cheaply. First, look at what you own. Do you really NEED all that? Yes? Do you REALLY need anything new? Ok, fine. Shop first at garage and yard sales. This is stuff people don't want anymore. They'll do ANYTHING to get rid of it. Usually you can bargain an already cheap price down. Nothing cute at the garage sales? Thrift store shopping is the next best choice. That or consignment stores. You'll have to sift through more at thrift stores to find something good, unless you have a gift with a sewing machine or a really good eye. But consignment stores often have good name brand clothes for a great price. At one near my house, I get American Eagle shirts for $6. It's where all the rich kids go to drop off their week old shirts they're bored of. Barring that, try the dept stores at sale time. And buy off season. If you buy next summer's clothes at the end of the season, then you can get 70% off some really good clothes. Even plus sized me has been able to find decent stuff then. My fave store for that is Kohl's. If you're keeping track, 70% off of a dept store price will NOT make the store a profit, so regardless of business practices, this is a good time to shop.

Beauty Supplies: This is a bit more tricky. I just make my own. There are tons of easy recipes out there for things to clean your face, body and teeth with. And my biggest beauty product is water, which is virtually free. I rarely use anything else to clean my body or face with. Also, don't forget the second part of the three R's. Reduce, REUSE, recycle. Things like menstrual pads and TP can be made from cloth, and then you don't have to keep buying new! If you cut costs in places like this, then you'll have enough money to spend on the things you can't make, like shampoo or razors. (Of course, you could always go no shampoo and quite shaving if you were REALLY poor.)

Cleaning supplies: Make them. Seriously, why even buy these from the store at all?

Electronics: Go secondhand. Seriously, with technology moving as fast as it is, there is good stuff out there. We just got a router for half the price of a new one from a secondhand computer store. Same with videos and CDs. Of course, with videos at least, you can rent them too. If you love it so much that you'll watch it enough to make owning it worthwhile, then go ahead and buy it. But not from WalMart. With CDs, all I have to say is MP3.

Dishes/Kitchen Supplies: Yard sales, and secondhand stores. I swear, I've found the BEST stuff that way.

Garden supplies: If you live in an agricultural area AT ALL, you'll be able to find locally owned garden supply stores. Use them, and don't tell them you can find the same stuff at WalMart for cheaper. They know that. Go in and tell them you support local busniess.

I can't think of anything more that WalMart has. If there's something I missed, I'm still sure that you have other options than to get it at WalMart. Check the Yellow Pages.

Don't forget the internet. Lots of people are selling things on Ebay and on their own sites. Googling for something will link you to lots of people who are making the very thing you're looking for. And you can afford it when you save all that money on clothes and food!

If you don't think you have these kinds of places near you, I encourage you to open your eyes as you drive down the road. You'll see the neatest lil stores. I've found some gems just driving by on the way to something else. Small businesses are still out there, struggling. It's up to us to find them and give them our business. Then they can thrive, and our communities will have flavor and diversity again. I'm willing to pay for that. "

#34 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:09 PM

Thank you Persephone!
#35 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:27 PM

second-hand clothes: I have had very little luck with this... the kids clothes are usually formula or kool-aid stained, yes, even infant clothing.
#36 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:31 PM

Ethics aside, I don't care for Wal-mart. Grocery-wise, they are the most expensive place around here, hardly any sales and the "coupon police" make it not worth it niether. For clothes, I've found that Penney's is just as cheap if you watch what you're buying.
#37 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:37 PM

I think it's great to educate people about companys and their policies - knowledge is power. That being said, to question another person because of where they shop & why they shop there is never going to result in something positive. I know the OP wasn't intending to come across as judgmental, but the title and post give that impression. When these mamas say that saving 2.00 here and there makes a huge difference in their abilities to feed their families, take their word for it and let that be the end of it. It should be good enough that you are able avoid shopping there. JMHO
#38 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by China white
I think it's great to educate people about companys and their policies - knowledge is power. That being said, to question another person because of where they shop & why they shop there is never going to result in something positive. I know the OP wasn't intending to come across as judgmental, but the title and post give that impression. When these mamas say that saving 2.00 here and there makes a huge difference in their abilities to feed their families, take their word for it and let that be the end of it. It should be good enough that you are able avoid shopping there. JMHO
I missed a couple bills last month, so we are hard up for money this month. We had $20 for groceries this week, so yes if an item is $2 less at walmart- I'm going to shop there.
#39 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 06:42 PM

That's all based around money.
#40 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 07:00 PM

what is HEB?
#41 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 07:07 PM

It's a grocery store chain in the southern US.
#42 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 07:19 PM

i've only skimmed the other replies but wanted to add my 2 cents ~

we're very low income. we don't shop at hel*mart... because it's not the cheapest store around! they SAY they are, but they aren't ~ comparitively, the sales at the local grocery stores, and k-mart, are cheaper than hel*mart. they also sell crap that breaks very soon after you buy it, clothes that don't hold up in the wash, and don't even get me started on their business practices.

i buy second-hand, reuse everything, and get things like tp, toothpaste, deodorant, etc cheaper or on sale elsewhere.

there's no reason to shop at The Big Scary Grey Box.
#43 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 07:21 PM

Interesting thread. My dh and I just decided, last night actually, that we were going to bite the bullet and stop shopping at WalMart completely.
I think I can agree with the op and say that for *most* people it is possible to not shop at WalMart. Easy? no. But possible. WalMart is the only major store in our town and is cheaper on everything, but I am starting to feel strongly about not shopping there so we will find a way to avoid it. We are by no means rich, btw.
The things we do to live without walmart-cloth diaper, cloth tp, unpaper towels, no make up, shop consignment, shop clearance online for clothes, when we need to replace an electronic (TV DVD Computer) we will order online or do without, columbia house for movies, clip coupons for other grocery stores, shop sales, shop less, cook more whole foods (cheaper), blah blah blah.
Anyway, I think what the OP was saying is that she gets kind of annoyed with people saying the *have* to shop there when most people actually *could* not shop there if they felt so inclined. So maybe people could say they find it easier to shop at Walmart.???
#44 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 10:45 PM

I don't like Walmart and have never shopped there. We have one and I've never been in it. I'm a SAHM.

I don't buy paper towels, napkins, baby wipes, disposable diapers or pads.

A bottle of shampoo lasts us 6 mos or more. The basics I get at the health food store. I refill soap dispensers with diluted Dr. Bronners now- use water to wash the kids hair most baths.

All that cuts down on the need to buy a lot of stuff.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#45 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 PM

monnie makes a good point ~ when you decrease consumption, you decrease the need for much of what people say they "must" buy at wal*mart... or anywhere else.
#46 of 313 Old 07-11-2004, 11:28 PM

That is the tactic I have been trying to take (of course, then DH goes and has a hay day at Costco ). I try really hard to *know* I actually want/need/will use any item before I get it (even if its free). All the free plastic junk is costing us more than we can afford!

#47 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my~hearts~light
I guess we will have to disagree.
yep. you're coming from a very comfortable vantage point. we aren't seeing eye to eye.

ita with what you said avonlea. that's why we go there too.

there are sacrifices i'm willing to make and there are sacrifices that i am not going to make. i use makeup, paper towel, paper napkins, toilet paper and shampoo.

we live way to close to the cuff to spend extra money we don't have on alternatives right now. the prices of food and detergent, tp and other staples are OUTRAGEOUS at our hfs. i do shop for our produce at bi lo, where at least it's mostly locally grown, and organic is affordable. and i shop at kroger for canned, refridgerated and boxed organic stuff. but there's no way i can feed us all, keep our clothes, house and backsides clean without some wal mart supplementing.

though i admire other posters resourcefullness and hard work searching out cheap alternatives to the evil empire, i'd rather spend the time with my dd playing or swimming or reading. she's extremely demanding and i just don't have it in me to do it right now. i feel good if get thru the day and have enough energy to eat dinner and shower, and get on here for a while. i feel bad about it, but we should be in a better place in another 2 months. then we won't shop there.

i don't feel evil at all. i feel like i'm doing the best i can do right now.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#48 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

I would like to say I am sorry the OP came across as judgemental. However, I was trying to understand why ppl still shop at Walmart. After reading the posts I can see that it is because some of you don't know about some of their worst practices. I am also a SAHM, we have 4 kids living with us and a stepson to support. My husband makes less than 34,000$ a year.

I have been able to find other ways to stretch my dollar , than go to WM or Target, Kmart, JC Penny, Sears, or a bunch of others. I do not boycott because of the way they treat in store employees although I do not like it. I do not boycott because I disagree with how some stores treat NIP mothers (customers) although I do not like it.

I will not spend my mother there because WM gets most of its goods from oversea sweatshops. And sorry but one poster wrote she doesn't believe ppl are forced to work in sweatshops. There are Asian workers here in the US under our governments care awaiting to testify to the house or senate about how they are tricked and then forced to stay in WM sponsored sweatshops.They are beaten, watched in the bathroom, given anphetamins and forced to work 48 hr shifts to meet deadlines, locked in, dorms in the factory and can't get home. The worse thing is some are brought to US teritories like Somoa from for example Vietnam. How do you escape that? How do you get home to Vietnam from Somoa? How do you, the intelligent and informed mothers here at MDC not know of things like when children laborers died in a sweatshop fire because they were locked in forced to work more than 12 hour shifts to produce Cabbage Patch dolls for Walmart before Christmas? My child does not need anything soooo badly that it is ok for me not to think of where the point of origin for manufacture is; and care about someone elses child halfway around the world and if that child's childhood is being spent in a swaetshop, not in school, not playing, to make my kids childhood full of unimportant material things. You should see the pictures of 7 yr old girls hands swollen from working at a loom to make cheap rugs for us, here in the land of plenty.

It is wrong for us not to find ways to provide for our families without hurting someone else along the way.

I do not think any mother who has to shop there or chooses to shop there is "bad", just uninformed or misinformed. Maybe doesn't know the hidden price to our world, environment, families to shop Walmart, Target or Kmart, etc........ Many of you wouldn't accept someone saying we feed our baby koolaid instead of formula. You'd jump on that person , because you know better, even if formula is more expensive than koolaid. You'd say BF not FF. No circ, not circ. Parent with gentleness and kindness not corporel punishment . Because you know better. I am just trying to get people to put there money where their mouth is, because money talks. If ppl didn't demand more, cheaper we could avoid burdening the world with our consumerism.

People are suffering, so that we can have more, cheaper. I just don't think it's right and really don't think you do either. Maybe you just don't see your options.
#49 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

#50 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 02:32 AM

fourgrtkidos, you are totally right, and that is my biggest biggest problem with wm. we only buy food and paper stuff, we don't consume the stuff that is made outside the us. i know that is no absolution, but i am totally aware of the origin of all that cheap plastic stuff, and all the cheap clothes. we don't buy any of it.

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#51 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 AM

i meant to also say thank you for the link, and for talking about sweatshop labor.

#52 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I’m the one who talked about sweatshop labor. I’m educated about it and you misunderstood me. I was commenting about a statement that US workers are not “forced” to work for low wages, which I disagree with. I do believe (correct me if I’m wrong) that the majority of sweatshop laborers are not *literally* forced to work either but they are coerced and manipulated nonetheless. I’m on “your side”, mama.

I think we can *all* do better and I believe the other posters when they say they try. I also agree that lowering consumption and buying from locals is probably one of the best solutions (and they have *SO* many additional benefits!). It's baby steps for me. Personally, I worry that Target, Ikea and H&M are going to take over the world and I'm now making the next step to avoid those.

Also, an awareness campaign about Wal-Mart is a great idea but it seems a touch like an ambush to ask people why they must shop at Wal-Mart first. Like I said, there are two issues – one is understanding the circumstances as to why someone shops there and I think that is genuinely a nice thing to try to understand. Perhaps we're due for another thread about Wal-Mart practices.

You know the cloth toilet paper thing got me to thinking of where I’m “scattered” with some consumption issues. Last night, I was realizing that our TP consumption is really low and I could probably make the leap to no-TP. The thing is, is that we have much greater consumption problems thn TP, which I feel I should be working on first.

Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#53 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 04:19 AM

I do not shop at Walmart.

That said, I live in a large city and have lots of better options. Costco is actually closer to me than walmart and there is a LOVELY farmers market not 5 mins from my house. (YUM) I really have a lot of options that are just as cheap as Walmart so I really don't have much room to talk. And if it is 3 am and I am in dire need of something (er..I dunno what) yeah, I will bite the bullet and go there (if there isn't a 24 hour grocery store that is open and I don't have to drive very much further to get there.)

I don't like Walmart because I don't like how they do buisness. Walmart is one of the ONLY companies that has so many ex employees that refuse to shop there, it is actually affecting their sales.

Frankly anyone that says people have a choice about whether or not to work there knows very very little about working class America. Perhaps you should read Nickle and Dimed on (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#54 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
Frankly anyone that says people have a choice about whether or not to work there knows very very little about working class America. Perhaps you should read Nickle and Dimed on (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich.
this is a great book.

Thanks for reminding us to read or re-read it,
Michelle
#55 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Banned

One thing I've noticed reading other posts is if you live in a wealthier suburban or wealthy urban area there are a lot of alternatives to shopping at Walmart.

If you live in an impoverished rural area there seems to be no viable alternative to shopping at Walmart.

I live in a wealthy suburb of Philadelphia. We have quite a few upscale resale shops and a couple of decent bottomfeeder thrift shops. You can find good-quality gently used designer clothing there for less $$ than at Walmart.

Also if you shop the sales rack of the GAP you can find clothing much lower priced than Walmart (and all the other lesser evil alternatives to Walmart)

But if you don't live near a mall or close to a wealthy suburb (the source for the good secondhand clothing) you don't have the *option* of buying good quality gently used clothing (and as far as I'm concerned the clothing at ebay becomes expensive when you factor in the shipping costs.)

If you're into natural living you can cut the diaper costs, the paper towel costs and the paper plates-cups costs you can even get rid of pads and tampons but you really can't work your way around toilet paper!!!!

But, relative to the rest of the costs tp is a minor issue.

If I were faced with an extremely tight budget I might shop walmart once in a blue moon for tp and cleaning supplies but I can't imagine buying clothing or electronics there (poor quality)

I think another factor (not judging anyone personally) is how much stuff do we *really* need? I think a lot of cheap poorly made crap sold at walmart is impulse buying rather than meeting a true need.

Debra Baker
#56 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
I think another factor (not judging anyone personally) is how much stuff do we *really* need? I think a lot of cheap poorly made crap sold at walmart is impulse buying rather than meeting a true need.

Debra Baker

Oh that's SOOO true! How many keychain flashights does one person NEED?
They really set up for impulse buying. That's alot of the reason I rarely shop there. With the crowds in our walmart plus the screaming children (not even my own) then the 4 year old in the basket begging for fruit snacks while I drag the stroller behind me... It's all to much to make rational decisions. I get home, unpack the groceries and then wonder what the heck I just spent 300 bucks on!
#57 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy
Great point abimommy AND great book recommendation! I'm reading "The Working Poor" by David Shipler right now. While not as well written as Ehrenreich's book, it's similar in it's outlook and basically makes the same point about "choice" that several posters are making here.

Allison
#58 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
the prices of food and detergent, tp and other staples are OUTRAGEOUS at our hfs
Same here. We recently got a Whole foods market, and although i love it, i just cant spend there on any kind of regular basis ( i do go for fruits and veggies sometimes, or a particular item). We have a Wild Oats, and they are wildly expensive too. I have shopped at Safeway, and Cub foods, but its literally 30-40% higher at those stores.

I know that walmart is evil, my husband hates them. But, part of my job is to make the most of mine and my husbands incomes, and although we make a good living, i just cant go into those stores and spend 30-40% more for the same or similar stuff. I cant and wont spend 8 bucks on a small container of raspberries.

Even at walmart prices are creeping up.
#59 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 02:06 PM

I do shop at Wal-Mart (we have 2 in our town with one being remodeled into a Super Wal-Mart). We actually really like it along with Shop-Ko, Costco, Fred Meyer, etc. I can get really cheap laundry detergent, sandals, socks, film developing, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Of course, I know what they're EVIL deep down, but I just feel exhausted trying to battle with everything Nestle, Wal-Mart, Johnson and Johnson, McDonald's (almost put our local A&W out of business), Hollywood Video (put 3 GREAT movie rental places out of business in my town), Disney, etc. Everything is EVIL somewhere. I do enjoy supporting smaller businesses when I can, but dang, everything is a big chain now.

Quote:
Walmart is a crappy company. But Safeway isn't much better- they treat their employees pretty bad as well (at least the one here). I don't see why spending more at Safeway is better somehow.
Just a few years ago in the small town that I live in our Safeway remodeled into a HUGE store and Roth's (originally a small town grocery store that did well and expanded more in the area) moved into town and put our 2 other smaller and much nicer markets totally out of business. I see Roth's spreading out all over the place now and smaller grocery stores getting put out of business. I feel like if given the opportunity, any business would turn into a Wal-Mart if it could. It's sad.
#60 of 313 Old 07-12-2004, 02:20 PM

First, truth in advertising: (1) I am not a SAHM...as I'm pretty sure all of you know; (2) I am a fanatical recycler and consumption-reducer...as some of you may know--I am the one who even reuses AND then recycles the wires that close the bread bags ; and (3) I am fortunate enough to live in New York City where, although we are getting a HUGE amount of chains, there still are mom-and-pop places. And, (4) I have a partner who really picks up his share of the parenting and working-to-keep-the-household-running tasks. Like, we really split domestic chores and try to organize so no one gets totally run into the ground. (This does fall apart occasionally. On both sides. Life happens)

All that said, I do spend a lot of time in other places. I am not one of these "urban provincials", OK?

There ARE places with nothing more than a Mall Wart. Really. I've been there. There are places that even have nothing more than one really, really expensive "general store" -- like some towns in South Dakota with high aboriginal populations. Or even some places in upstate NY. And, even if they don't have a Wall-Mart, they've probably already gotten rid of the local mom-and-pop withthe help of OTHER chain stores.

Yeah, in some of these places, if the shopper is willing to drive an extra half hour, maybe there is another store available. Wanna do that in February with probably-should-be-replaced 4-season tires? Nope, me neither. And there is no guarantee that the other place will (a) have what you want or (b) be cheaper ... and now a whole lot of fuel has been used up...not to mention that you better have brought a picnic lunch for yourself and the little one(s).

And, if it were me, well, I am really well-organized. And I lived "out-back" when I was young and the idea of only going shopping once a month or less frequently and doing that with a pickup or a small trailer attached to the ball hitch on the car is not totally foreign. And, I've inherited my father's ability to be totally anal about keeping the car in working order and being prepared for emergencies. [ T Talk to me about what to always keep in your trunk...seasonally adjusted!! ]

BUT, not everyone is as well-organized. It is a skill, not a moral failing.

SO,what to do?

Well, I agree with fourgrtkiddos about the sweatshop problem. I try not to buy products made in countries with lousy worker-protection laws and no enforcement. BUT, there are sweatshops here, too. Lots of those illegal immigrants are brought in to indentured servitude here. It is hard to keep track of this.

I do my best. (Which is all anyone can do.) For example, I buy t-shirts from http://www.americanapparel.net/ ... which, at their store in NY, the prices ARE the same (and on the less-expensive side) as stuff made in Bangladesh and Nicaragua. Makes me wonder who is getting the profits. . $10 - 12 for a snap-crotch undershirt, for example. Of course, I haven't visited the factory myself, so I guess I don't know.

And I think that no one here really LIKES going to the Wall-Mart. I mean, it's not like it has red plush "fainting couches" in the Women's Room and soft music piped in while you shop. :LOL

Once a Wall-Mart (And, yes, they are worse than other on this, Costco and so forth are not so universally pushy about how they compete. Really. Even though they are pretty bad.) has moved in, frequently everyone else gets pushed out because of the loss-leaders and their quantity buying. Wall-Mart OWNS factories abroad. In some cases, there is no "direct" competition for price comparison. They've put a lot of energy and resources into getting rid of the competition, not just competing against them. Then, Wall-Mart effectively owns the town, and can set the rules...INCLUDING LOCAL ZONING & PLANNING RULES AND TAX CODES. This affects your local democracy.

Keeping small business alive in your locality means you keep more local control. They are removing the profits made off of you. With the exception of the low wages they pay, those profits go OUTSIDE OF YOUR AREA. They are not spending their money at your local shoe-repair place, your local garage, your 5 & 10, your diner, restaurant, gas station, flooring store, well-driller, builder, hardware store, lawyer, accountant, etc.

You may think "Well, the employees are still local"....but, think about it, the BOSS isn't. The PROFITS are going elsewhere.

Just food for thought.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page