Absolutely Not - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is indeed a dark day for America.

I've been so sad today, but more convicted than ever to bring about change. As tempted as I am to pack up the fam and go to Canada, dh and I are reved up to become more active and work against the negative influences of the right-wing takeover.

I'm lucky, however, to be a native of Maine, where Green Independent representatives are everywhere and the zealots stay mostly up in the woods.

Fellow lefty ladies, it's time to dry our tears and march on. Being an American means using your voice and fighting for that in which you believe.
#32 of 50 Old 11-03-2004, 11:12 PM

me to my husband: the only positive thing is that after 4 years, he won't be able to run again.

my husband: don't be so sure. check this out.

http://www.mapcruzin.com/news/bush050703a.htm

please......someone.......tell me this is a joke.......

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#33 of 50 Old 11-03-2004, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
djinneyah- that is freaking scary

mdcblog5.gif   Liz mama to DS 10, DSS 9, DD 6, DS 3, DD 2 , Aquila- dec 19th 2009 died at my homebirth, and....welcome Willow born 9-16-10 (9 weeks early)  nut.gif
#34 of 50 Old 11-03-2004, 11:54 PM

Sevenkids, that was an amazingly eloquent post. Thank you.

Jen

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#35 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 AM

I'm with you, ladies. It is a sad day in America. I never thought that so many people could be blind to the evils of W and crew. But, as has been suggested, maybe they aren't. Of all the other bad deeds Bush & Co. have schemed and pulled off, why not election fraud? That's nothing compared to destroying the enviroment, waging war on a country that wasn't even involved in 9/11, killing/bombing/slaughtering innocent men, women and children(but they're not American, so I guess that's o.k.) and giving to the rich to weaken the poor. This man is the anti-christ as far as I'm concerned. I am ashamed to call him the President.
On the bright side (YES, there is one!), there is still hope and it lies with us! We have to continue to speak out for our beliefs and spread peace, love and truth however we can. I am proud to say (and truly believe) that our generation and our children's will change the world. We have to stay strong and keep teaching our children our core values: peace, love, understanding, acceptance, respect for diversity and our beautiful planet.
#36 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 AM

djinneyah's post made me :Puke
I do remember hearing about this a few years ago, thinking that something like that would never pass, but now that the republican's control everything I'm not so sure.
God help us all. The OP was very eloquent and is exactly how I feel today. I have never been so ashamed to be an American. I, like so many of you, would also be out of this country in a heartbeat if I had the money and could pack up my immediate and extended family with me. If things get bad enough, I may have to leave in order to feel safe. I hope it doesn't get that bad though and that there will be some kind of justice for how corrupt this administration is.
#37 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 12:51 AM
pln

What a heartfelt post. I don't agree with all of it but I feel your pain.

And to the person who mentioned Canada's or France's taxes...

Check out Maine's tax burden. It's only 1-2 percent off of France, depending on one's individual property taxes, with NONE of the benefits.

Now, I like my lefty town very much and don't plan to move but wanted to correct your assumption that everywhere in the US has lower tax rates than Canada.

Democracy is a painful experience, isn't it? We had better be prepared to debrief the Iraqis about it when they have their supposed election in Jan.
#38 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I feel like the evil empire has taken hold. I am so hurt and disappointed and angry.
#39 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena
ITA with the OP.

He is NOT my president, elected, selected, or otherwise. I will NEVER get behind that evil chimpanzee of a fraud. I cannot believe anyone believes a word that comes from his mouth, and those that believe he is a real Christian shock me the most.

I am sad, shocked, and deeply embarrassed today. I hope all of the people that voted for him and his evil empire enjoy it when their children are drafted and their social security goes to repaying the largest deficit/debt in America's history. When the environment is trashed and there is no middle class, when terrorism against the US becomes a franchise and hundreds of thousands have died, when we are totally alienated from the rest of the world... enjoy what you reap. I hope it was worth it.

IMO, today's outcome says that the majority in the country are motivated primarly by FEAR, money, and their religious views. Or should I say, trying to "spread" their religious views to the rest of us who stand firm with the constitution that there be a separation of church and state.
#40 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
George Bush is not my president.
He never will be my president.
I will not accept his policies, his warmongering, his lies and deciet.
I will not accept the crimes he has commited against the international community, and against the American people.
I am deeply ashamed of the Americans who support this beast, this nemesis of peace, this horrific, inexcusable, insufferable idiot of a man.
I will hang my head in shame every single day because I am an American, whose own people have helped bring dishonour and disgrace on our country, whose once proud nation is now simutaneously the laughing stock and the feared intimidator of the world.
Much like the schoolyard bully, we are being mocked while we are feared. Like the schoolyard bully, those we oppress will band together to bring us down. All bullies eventually fall, and America is no exception.
Our days of being a great nation are ending.
I am terribly afraid, for he safety of my brothers and 4 sons.
I am afraid we will become the battle ground for the next world war.
I am afraid my rights and the rights of my children will continue to be systematically stripped and destroyed.
One day we will tell our children, in quiet whispers and in fear, of the once great nation of yesteryears.

The Dark Ages of America have begun.

Those who blindly screamed the slogans, swallowed and regurgitated the rhetoric, remained blissfully ignorant of the magnitude of their choices and prayed for four more years of war and bloodshed shall surely get what they deserve.

But it's not what I deserved and not what I should reap.

I have not sowed the seeds of this evil empire, and I shall not remain to witness the wicked fruits of this unethical and immoral lack of judgement come to bear.
yes, thank you, thank you!
#41 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter
Fine, don't agree with him, but unless you leave the US, yes, he is your president because we have majority rule. He may not be your choice, but he is apparently the general population of America's choice and since this is the United States of America and not the United States of You, he is every American's president, re-elected by the majority of voters.
Now, THAT was eloquent! (And I voted for Kerry).

Kirsten - wife to Mark and co-sleeping, breastfeeding mother to , :, and
Photography, including Breastfeeding Photography, in my Homepage.
#42 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 02:29 PM

Eloquent or not... he's still not my president. Due to the fact that he stole his first election he should never have had the chance at another shot to begin with. He will never be my president.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#43 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 02:54 PM

kind of off topic, but i wonder....

we all know where the candidates stand regarding issues such as abortion, gay rights, taxes, war, and public education.....

but what about the other issues members of MDC always talk about?

homeschooling/unschooling
using midwives and homebirthing
breastfeeding whenever and wherever without facing criticism
not vaxing
not circ'ing

i'm just curious. i know it's after the fact, but still.......i don't think these issues were ever addressed....where do they stand on these issues?

successful #2 Jan. 25th - welcome Maisie Elise!
#44 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 07:40 PM

Well, I'm sure neither Kerry nor Bush had their kids circed... (I know Bush only had daughters and I am almost positive Kerry only has daughters as well).

Seriously, though, Bush has stated over and over that homeschooling is a valid choice and should be preserved for those who want to do it.

Other than that I don't know.
#45 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenMary
Now, THAT was eloquent! (And I voted for Kerry).

Nope. sorry, he's not my president, he does not represent my values, he doesn't have my interests or the interests of any other woman, mother, child, low-income earner, non-white, non-Fundie, non-bigoted person in the country.

So, no, I won't bow my head and join the "winning team" and try my gosh golly darndest to make their policies work for me, because they won't, can't, never have and never will.

and I certainly won't be here when we're the ones getting bombed and our children are the ones being ripped to shreds sleeping in their beds.

Remember, what ever you put out into the Universe returns to you three-fold.
#46 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkids
Nope. sorry, he's not my president, he does not represent my values, he doesn't have my interests or the interests of any other woman, mother, child, low-income earner, non-white, non-Fundie, non-bigoted person in the country.

So, no, I won't bow my head and join the "winning team" and try my gosh golly darndest to make their policies work for me, because they won't, can't, never have and never will.

and I certainly won't be here when we're the ones getting bombed and our children are the ones being ripped to shreds sleeping in their beds.

Remember, what ever you put out into the Universe returns to you three-fold.
Thank you. Well said again.
#47 of 50 Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Ever since Kerry conceded, I've had that uncomfortable, pit-of-my-stomach, miserable feeling I used to get when I didn't study for a test. I'm very saddened by America's supposed choice.

Reading the posts has given me some things to think about. I guess the only good that can come out of this horrifying election is that maybe more people (esp. women) will become activists. I want to start some sort of local lefty ladies group.

I have three other thoughts as well.
1. I wasn't offended by any of the posts until I read Sheena's first post. I mean really, comparing W to a chimpanzee? Is that fair to the primates? I happen to love monkeys. Just kidding. Well, about being offended, I do happen to think chimps are cute and much brighter than our current pres. (my favorite comparison of Duh-b-ya is a bumper sticker I saw today with a picture of his face that said, "Like A Rock. But dumber.")

2. Before the World Series, I thought the evil empire was the Yankees. Now I know the truth. It's the leaders and voters.

3. I'm sure Bush loves homeschoolers. He's certainly not funding the public schools. I'm sure he sees it as a money saver.

take care!

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#48 of 50 Old 11-06-2004, 03:32 PM

Beautiful OP, sevenkids. Rage is terrifyingly beautiful to behold. Inspiring.

Butter: No, it's not "the United States of You" (pretty funny, really), but it's not the US of *YOU* either.

I am disturbed in general at the chastising of this OP from folks who tell her that she better just suck it up because it's a democracy and that's what happens - winners and losers. In fact, this kind of passive acceptance of authority is what has messed up the US for hundreds of years, beginning with the Puritans! Contrary to what so many Bush supporters believe, it is not disrespectful to question and challenge so-called legitimate authority, it is a necessary part of living in a complex, multicultural and class-stratified society. Period.

The inability of the vast majority of public-school educated adults to think critically has elected Bush. Do not expect everyone to believe that one election makes a leader. I will follow the leaders who support my morals and ethics, and my right to self-govern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorful~Mama
you're right. that post sounds alot like 'i'm not doing what you say. you'/re not my mama'
And Colorful Mama, it was downright rude to compare the OP to a young, defiant child. An adult is able to think like an adult, complete with adult emotions like rage and injustice. Again, I must emphasize that disagreement and anger are not to be corrected, but to be recognized and supported as part of our freedoms here in the US. If you cannot understand the need to challenge authority, I am truly, deeply sorry for you and your children.

Thanks, sevenkids.

rural mama to DD1 DD2
unschooling, non-vaxing, writing, gardening, co-sleeping, critter-loving family :
#49 of 50 Old 11-06-2004, 03:46 PM

skim-
#50 of 50 Old 11-06-2004, 03:50 PM

seven-kids, thank you thank you thank you for reminding us all that the ONLY way to be truly patriotic is to participate in this democracy. Yes, this means voting, but it also means raising our voices against perceived injustice and PUBLIC disagreement, discourse and discussion. I, for one, am tired of being shut down and called unpatriotic for disagreeing with MY government and I will defend ANYONE's right to assemble, speak, disagree or (gasp!) burn the flag, even if (and especially if) I don't agree with what they are saying. That is the essence of America.

If any mama, not matter their perspective, cannot be genuinely supported for voicing her opinions and feelings on these discussion boards, then where can she?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page