Boycott National Geographic Kids Magazine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so annoyed over this. They sent us a sample issue last year that we loved and our 6yo ds loved. That issue contained no advertising. Based on that issue we decided to ask for a gift subscription from my parents, which they got for him. Since then, every issue has been loaded with glitzy advertising for junk food and media products, such as Game Boy with "Mild Fantasy Violoence", cocoa puffs, and TV shows. Naturally our dear ds is far more interested in the ads than the content of the magazine. We have asked them to cancel our subscription and issue a refund. They promptly wrote back to confirm the cancellation, but we're going through living he** trying to get a refund. Also they had nothing to say about our reasons for cancelling aside from "we hope you will consider subscribing in the future".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 02-06-2005, 02:23 AM

Here! Here! I am with you. Thought the same exact response when
I browsed a sample issues this week while waiting at he children's
hospital.
#3 of 44 Old 02-06-2005, 04:54 AM

Definetly something I'll keep in mind. I always thought NGK was a wholesome mag, but I never opened it up
#4 of 44 Old 02-06-2005, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow- that's disturbing. I was going to get this for my nephew, but not anymore!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#5 of 44 Old 02-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the Head's Up!
#6 of 44 Old 02-06-2005, 09:29 PM

The National Wildlife Federation puts out a kids mag. called "Your Big Backyard" that is wonderful. We gave dd a subscription for Christmas, and she loves it. Unfortunately dd also received a subscription to National Geographic Kid from a relative. I agree, it is awful. I need to get on the ball and send them an email. In the meantime the magazine goes straight into recycling when it comes in the mail.
#7 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 01:22 AM

I guess if I were to pay for it I'd be disappointed too, but we just check it out from the library and really enjoy looking at the animals and reading about them. My kids like it but they are five and three, and actually I don't think they paid any notion to the ads. In all fairness, at least there is a magazine out there to give positive attention towards animals, If ads help pay the way can't they easily be ignored?

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#8 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 12:46 PM

I completely disagree. Ads target children from the cradle and up. According to the APA. ads targeting anyone under the age of 8 should be restricted. Small children accept ads as truthful and unbiased. Studies have shown that children do recall what is being advertised, and do influence their parents to buy products. Even if you think your children are ignoring the ads, they aren't. The ads are building name-brand recognition, and encouraging materialism and consumerism. I bet if you looked really hard, you could find a better, safer way to give positive attention toward animals- one that doesn't do so at the expense of children.

I would highly recommend you read the following:
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...ec/ai_60072790
and
http://www.mothering.com/sections/ex...d-archive.html
Quote:
We live in a nation in which the values of what sociologist Robert Bellah calls the money world are steadily crowding out the values of what I call the motherworld. The dominant values of our culture are radical individualism, excessive materialism, and bottom-line thinking-- and they leave little room for values such as connectedness, interdependence, commitment, and other qualities necessary for raising healthy, caring, and ethical children. This profound imbalance lies at the root of our culture's inhospitability to children and to the work of nurturing children.
Quote:
“Because younger children do not understand persuasive intent in advertising, they are easy targets for commercial persuasion,” said psychologist Brian Wilcox, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center on Children, Families and the Law at the University of Nebraska and chair of the task force. “This is a critical concern because the most common products marketed to children are sugared cereals, candies, sweets, sodas and snack foods. Such advertising of unhealthy food products to young children contributes to poor nutritional habits that may last a lifetime and be a variable in the current epidemic of obesity among kids.”
http://www.commercialexploitation.co...etspullads.htm
http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis..._marketing.cfm
http://www.media-awareness.ca/englis...arget_kids.cfm
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_111011386

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#9 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 12:55 PM

How disapointing! I have been looking for good mags for 3 1/2 yo. He loves to "get mail" and I would refer he had something fun rather than my cooking mags and catalogs.

Does anyone know if Ranger Rick is still around? or Highlights? Of course my memories are colored and I have not seen them years. Are they as good as I remember??

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#10 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom
How disapointing! I have been looking for good mags for 3 1/2 yo. He loves to "get mail" and I would refer he had something fun rather than my cooking mags and catalogs.

Does anyone know if Ranger Rick is still around? or Highlights? Of course my memories are colored and I have not seen them years. Are they as good as I remember??
I like "Our Big Backyard" for that age.
Annette

#11 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM

I looked again and "Your Big Back Yard" has no ads. Yea!

Here's a link to The National Wildlife Federation site, and it has a list of their other mags, including "Ranger Rick".

http://www.nwf.org/

I've decided when dd's National Geographic arrives in the mail, I'll just rip out the cool stuff for reading and craft projects.
#12 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 01:49 PM

I feel the same way. The ads are terrible. We'd gotten it as a gift, but I've asked to change it to adding another yr. onto Our Big Backyard. We also get Highlights, but IMO, it's just cutting it for me. Maybe when my boys are a bit older. Oldest is 5 right now. I do like "All Around"--kinda pricey, but very, very interesting! I'd gotten a trial of Cricket which looked interesting. The ad-free aspect is very important to me.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#13 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 02:51 PM

Don't you just love it when you pay for a subscription to something and half the magazine is ads?? In my opinion, if you pay good money for a magazine, it should not have a bunch of advertizing.

Another thing you could do if your kids like to "get mail" is print off free pages on the internet, put them in a large yellow envelope and mail them out. Fun and cheap!

Mom to two boys, ages 8 and 11, and one blessing due May 8th.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 baby.gif 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

#14 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 06:43 PM

Annette- I guess I never noticed the ads but we do enjoy reading the articles. Like I said I'm not paying for it just borrowing from the library. And while I agree with you about ads making a huge impression on children it seems to me some things are just not worth getting upset over. It just seems people complain over every little thing these days and it's annoying! And also I know there are plenty of other ways to encourage compassion and love of animals with kids. I was just saying there's nothing wrong with flipping thru a National Geographic Magazine with them... I also thought National Geographic did a lot of positive for the animals so why boycott that?

oh and I see a lot of ads in many magazines unfortunately including Mothering!

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#15 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 07:09 PM

Mothering is an magazine for grown ups, so I don't think there is really a parallel.

And, if you are getting it for the library, you are paying for it in a way- through taxes.

I don't think protecting our children from violent video games, cereal filled with crap, and TV is getting upset about every little thing.

#16 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 07:26 PM

W
#17 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 PM

My ds and I flip through kid magazines with ads together. He can't read yet, so it's always a together-thing - lying in bed to go to sleep, for quiet time, in the morning. Anyway, b/c we are always together, we just talk about it. I make a point of talking about the ads and what it's describing. I make a point of questioning the truth and value of the ad. He's only 4, but hey!

Homeschool Planet http://planethomeschool.net
#18 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftmama
nyway, b/c we are always together, we just talk about it. I make a point of talking about the ads and what it's describing. I make a point of questioning the truth and value of the ad. He's only 4, but hey!
I do the same thing. Michael will see a commercial or an ad and say "Look. they are trying to get me to buy XYZ"

#19 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 09:32 PM

http://www.cobblestonepub.com/pages/magmain.htm
We have enjoyed the science magazines this publisher puts out.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#20 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 10:58 PM

Is this the same as National Geographic World?

It's such a shame. I have years of it upstairs from the early 1980s. I don't remember it having *any* ads. I used to get so excited when it came in the mail. I would daydream of travelling to exotic places. I even liked the science stuff. What ever happened to this great magazine?
#21 of 44 Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 PM

You know, even National Geographic has ads in it. They're only in the beginning and end of the magazine, but there are some. I haven't seen a National Geographic for kids in a while, so I don't know how bad it is.

#22 of 44 Old 02-13-2005, 05:39 PM

I believe it isn't until around age 7, if not later, that a child can intellecutally comprehend the difference between ads and content. These advertisers wouldn't be spending the $$ if it wasn't a very effective vehicle to reach their target market .

MM has always had a great deal of editorial opposition to marketing to children As an adult, I look forward to many of the ads in Mothering, as I know that for the most part, the companies advertising in it are companies I am happy to do business with. Mothering Mag. (in all forms) would not be in existence without its advertisers. I believe they do a very good job w/this.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#23 of 44 Old 02-13-2005, 05:49 PM

My kids have had a subscription for years and it was only recently that they started including ads. What a shame!
#24 of 44 Old 02-13-2005, 05:53 PM

It is a shame- there are so few decent kids' magazines.
Maybe Mothering should put out a children's magazine!
Annette

#25 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 01:12 PM

I use these tyes of things as learning experiences, the same way I do tv ads. we have discussed the point of advertising and how it works.
#26 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna
I use these tyes of things as learning experiences, the same way I do tv ads. we have discussed the point of advertising and how it works.
We have had many conversations about advertising but I am concerned about dd's ability to truly understand and deal with intent. She seems to get it, but then two seconds after the yogurt commercial comes on there's a pause and she says, "I want a yogurt." Of course we then discuss whether she really wants a yogurt or whether it's because she just saw an ad. But, she's only 6 and this type of conversation bores her to tears after awhile, so at this point we just try to avoid the ads.

Sorry for the OT ramble.
#27 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 02:23 PM

Isn't this magazine targeting 5-7 year olds?
Annette

#28 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Just went to get the mail and there was the magazine in question.

Here's the ad content-

inside cover(page 2)-Cambell's soup, full page

Page 3- is table of contents

page 4- article about longest line of footprints

page 5- Disney movie, full page

page 6- story called Cool Inventions (cool stuff to buy like scooters)

no page number but double sided pull out ad for Pony Book Club with added products

11 pages of cool stuff

pages 18-20- article The Truth Behind the Movie Robots (ad?)

pages 21-24- Ford ad with enviromental/school fund raising stuff

pages 25-29- ad free

pages 30-32- article called Where Did They Film That? (Spy Kids, Star Wars, etc-(ad?)

pages 33-34- article about twins

page 35-Pop tarts- full page

page 38.5- half page pull out for Pony stuff

Page 40- activity page about eyes with monster from Monster's Inc in center

page 41- Bubble Tape- full page

page 43-Post Marshmallow Mania Pebbles- full page

back cover-Nerds Rope- full page
#29 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for that- that is a lot of ads for junk!
Annette

#30 of 44 Old 02-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Wow. SummerLove, thanks for sharing that. Pretty bad.

Anyone get Ladybug or Click? Maybe that would be better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page