Canadians!! Urgent Alert on the National Marriage e-Referendum! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope this is ok to post this...I got it in an email from mil today:
Urgent Alert on the National Marriage Referendum!
Please Support the National Marriage e-Referendum!

This may be our last best chance to show Parliament that a majority of Canadians oppose legalizing same-sex marriage.

Actions Requested:

Cast your vote on the National Marriage e-Referendum
Forward this alert on to at least ten others you know and urge them to vote on the referendum as well. It is important that as many Canadians as possible participate, no matter what their position on same sex marriage.

http://www.defendmarriagecanada.org/...wsletter42.htm

The site is very, ummm, anti-gay, but that doesn't mean we can't sway their own poll the other way...
I think I'll forward the email to some gay activist groups!
#2 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Banned

I think that they should legalize gay marriages. To (try to) quote Dolly Parton "They should have the right to suffer just like us!" *laughing*
#3 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 AM

Thanks! I'm forwarding the link to one of my very best friends in Winipeg to be forwarded on and on........ If we sway enough to the correct side can we emigrate? Since We are married in the religious sense my rabbi has made me understand that our religious contract would be counted retroactively.
#4 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 AM

I don't trust it. It's probably not a good idea to give so much personal information to these people. What will they do with that information?
#5 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 07:36 AM

Actually I think the majority of Canadians figure that gay marriage should be legal...I know that I am one of them.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#6 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

As far as I know, most provinces allow gay unions, this is about changing the legal definition of the word marriage. They (correct me if I'm wrong) have a lot of the same rights as hetero couples already?
Good point about giving out info... hadn't thought about it
#7 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 02:10 PM

Six provinces have gay marriage already. This is on the basis of appeal court rulings in those provinces that say anything else is unconstitutional.

Solemnization of marriage (i.e. the details of who gets to be a marriage commissioner, the paperwork, etc.) is a provincial responsibility, while who gets to get married is a federal responsibility. The court rulings were about who gets to get married, but because they were by provincial appellate courts, they only apply to the provinces they're in. Right now, there's no legislation saying that gay marriage is ok, it just is in the 6 provinces because laws otherwise are unconstitutional. Get it?
#8 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 02:43 PM

I voted.. wow those numbers are crazy... are there really still that many people who think like that?
#9 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffykenwell
Actually I think the majority of Canadians figure that gay marriage should be legal...I know that I am one of them.

Steph

I agree...I am pretty confident that the bill will pass...gay marriage will be legal in Canada all over soon as it should be
#10 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 05:35 PM

I wasn't sure how it worked. The post linked by the OP is officially a call to action AGAINST gay rights, but the post itself was anti-the post. So, you can also weigh in over here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=298846

It has a link to send out support for the passage!

#11 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
As far as I know, most provinces allow gay unions, this is about changing the legal definition of the word marriage. They (correct me if I'm wrong) have a lot of the same rights as hetero couples already?
Good point about giving out info... hadn't thought about it
Actually no they don't. They have some of the same rights but many others are denied to them daily. My sister and her partner have a child. He is the biological child of my sister's partner but until my sister legally adopts him she has no standing as his mother.

Of course I am in Ontario where it already is legal for gays to marry...but they "don't feel ready" for marriage (and I take serious issue with the idea of having a child with someone with whom you aren't prepared to marry...but that isn't a gay/straight issue LOL..that is my issue

Anyway my take on it is that if marriage were merely a religious event there would be no such thing as civil marriages. I don't think it is right to single out a portion of society and deny them the right to marry. Plus honestly I *DO NOT* like that much of the rhetoric against gay marriage sounds a bit too close to what used to be said about inter-racial couples for my liking.

And the argument that denying gays the right to marry will keep them from having children....well that just defies logic since last I checked you didn't need a marriage certificate to have a baby (BTW not saying that anyone here has said any of this...these are just some of the arguments against gay marriage that I have heard).

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#12 of 13 Old 06-10-2005, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

TiredX2 I like your link better!

Steph, thanks for clarification!
#13 of 13 Old 06-22-2005, 09:52 AM

Just an update to this:

"Brief Background on the attempt to cast thousands of fraudulent “Yes” votes

Late on the night of Friday, June 17, a robot voting program attacked this Web site. This robot began to cast thousands of fraudulent “Yes” votes to the referendum.

It was easy to determine that these were fraudulent votes because all were “voted” by the robot using variations of just a few Hotmail e-mail accounts as well as by the huge volume coming in per hour. About 4,000 of these fraudulent “Yes” votes were registered before all voting was suspended. These fraudulent votes have been eliminated from the database. In the eight days that the referendum was posted before this attack more than 100,000 legitimate votes had been cast, with “Nos” in the majority by about a 3:1 margin."

The e-mail that I got said that legitimate votes might have been deleted as well by mistake, so I decided to recast my vote, since I'm assuming that any legitimate votes that might have been deleted would have been yes votes, not no votes! It's still about 2:1 for no. Anyone who hasn't voted, why don't you? I honestly don't believe that Canadians are 2:1 AGAINST same equal marriage rights for all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode