The Child Friendly Initiative - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-10-2005, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
http://www.childfriendly.org/

This seems like a great activism tool. So my question is, what can we do to promote it (or similar stuff) in our own communitites?

One thing I always try to do when I take ds with me somewhere is to point out to business managers that they don't have a stool in the bathroom so ds can reach the sink to wash his hands. It seems little, but if they hear it enough times, maybe they'll do something.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 10 Old 06-16-2005, 12:42 PM

There is a family restraunt in my old town that was very child friendly. We ate there 2-3 times a month, and when my dd was potty learning I mentioned to the owner that it was hard for her to use those institutional toilet seats that are open in the front, so he put in new toilet seats. He also put a stool in for her to wash her hands in either bathroom.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#3 of 10 Old 06-27-2005, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It drives dh and I crazy when we go somewhere and there isn't a changing table in the men's room, but there is in the women's. We always make a point of complaining about it, and he has been known to change a dipe on a restaurant table, or on the floor of a store, etc.
#4 of 10 Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 AM

I would like to remind people before it occurs that there is no debating in Activism.

(sorry...I see certain things and think "didn't we have trolls over X issue in this thread previously??)"

Not all those who wander are lost 
#5 of 10 Old 06-27-2005, 03:45 PM

That is cool!

My dh said I should make a website called "Change is Good" and talk about all the places that don't have changing tables. We spent an afternoon in Multnomah Village in Portland and everywhere I went (including a hip bookstore and a cool toy store) either had impossibly small bathrooms or you weren't allowed to use them. Really helpful with a kid in diapers.
#6 of 10 Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
It drives dh and I crazy when we go somewhere and there isn't a changing table in the men's room, but there is in the women's. We always make a point of complaining about it, and he has been known to change a dipe on a restaurant table, or on the floor of a store, etc.
Ohhhh, that drives me crazy!! : What on earth do single dads (or partnered dads out alone with the kids) do?
#7 of 10 Old 06-27-2005, 08:25 PM

My business is in their database and I recently had 2 articles published on creating child friendly business.

I got cool stickers with their logo to put on my doors.

It's really not that hard to consider the children--of course not all business can be geared toward them but they can have an attitude that is kind --unlike "the look" that parents get at some places when they bring their children in. I said it feels like a look that says "Because you have a child with you we'd prefer your wallet not be in our store"

If you got brochures from them on how to create child friendly business you can pass it out to your favorite stores--sometimes people don't even think about the very simple things.
#8 of 10 Old 06-28-2005, 02:32 PM

I know if I ever opened a restaurant, both bathrooms would have changing tables. A low sink for the kids to wash their hands and definitely in the boys room a urinal that goes to the floor! My son loves to stand a pee - kind of difficult when the urinal is at your chest!

I am a dad and have wanted to change my kids and the mens bathroom is not father friendly. I have gone into the womens bathroom to change them when dw is not with me! We have changed them at the table as well. Though I think we try not to give family-unfriendly businesses our money.

To me it is common sense to make a restaurant family friendly - changing tables, a low sink for the kids, a stool (I would not have because it is a lawsuit waiting to happen) & rounded table corners.
#9 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

I got to make a suggestion at my bank yesterday. There was scribbled pen along one of the walls and I told the teller, "That might be less likely to happen if you put a kid sized table in the corner with paper on it."

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 10 Old 06-29-2005, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owensmom
That is cool!

My dh said I should make a website called "Change is Good" and talk about all the places that don't have changing tables.
That's a great idea. You good send letters out to the businesses informing them that they have been placed on the public naughty or nice list.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page