Can someone tell me what's wrong witrh locks of love? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

#61 of 77 Old 05-31-2008, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
through a thread somewhere I found this site with lots of good info and alternatives
http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove

good luck!
#62 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 AM

Okay, so you know that dance Snoopy does when he's really happy... That's what I'm doing right now.

And that's because I have long healthy auburn (never dyed, never fried, never blow-dried) hair down my back, past my shoulders but above the waist of my jeans, and I get a nice little trim every few months from a hair stylist that I've been seeing since I was a little kid, and bless her heart, every single time I go in she says to me with a touch of sadness in her voice "You know, if you cut off about blah blah blah inches you could donate it to Locks of Love..." and I always say very nicely back "*sigh* maybe someday..." and smile and ignore her. But, each time I would think to myself "I MUST be the ONLY person who has to go through this each time they go near a salon. Sheesh."

And now I know I'm not alone!!! *Happy Snoopy Dance* I'm not the only person who's had people attempt to guilt trip them into hacking their hair off for "sick little children" who was then treated as though they were some sort of Long Hair Grinch for not cutting it off immediately. I feel so much happier about dealing with that nonsense now. Thanks everyone!

Oh and as for this comment:

Quote:
Yeah I get asked that a lot. My new response is "wow you look healthy! When are you gonna donate a kidney?" The looks are priceless.
It's awesome and I'm stealing... I mean, making a homage to it by using it promptly the next time the issue comes up.
#63 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeMagee View Post
But, each time I would think to myself "I MUST be the ONLY person who has to go through this each time they go near a salon. Sheesh."
I used to think the same thing until I started reading this thread. I love my hairdresser but every time I've had more than 1/2 inch trimmed she tells me "Oh, if you got a little more cut off you could donate to LoL and help those poor children with cancer." I think she's just uninformed and I plan to gently tell her that the next time I go to see her. It's hard having long hair, because everywhere you go ppl will ask you if you're growing your hair out for LoL. When you say no then you get dirty looks.

Beth
#64 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM

Wow, I can't believe this! Very eye-opening.

Wife to DH 6/05 partners.gif and mommy to DD1, born 10/07 dust.gif and DD2, born June 2010 energy.gif, and one cat.gif! We bftoddler.gif, familybed2.gif, and homeschool.gif

#65 of 77 Old 07-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Eye opening is right! I had no idea. I guess it pays to be skeptical about almost everything. :

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#66 of 77 Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 PM

This may sound strange to some people...but here on MDC I feel comfortable enough to voice it.

A couple of years back I had 13-14"s cut off of my very thick never treated in good shape hair in thoughts of donating to LoL. I'm glad I did my research (thanks long haired communities for your information).

I have chosen, instead, to hang onto it for a day I have time to make a couple of dolls with my own hair sewn in for the dolls hair to give to my kids. What gave me the idea was my youngest was so sad when I cut my hair. He loved to finger it (rub it between his fingers) and stroke it, all for comfort. When I showed him the ponytail of my hair he got all excited and started fingering and stroking it with so much love, I thought...hmmm he needs a comfort doll for when I'm not in bed with him.

Just be thinking outloud.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#67 of 77 Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 AM

NOTHING!!! I have been donating to locks of love for ten years. I grow my hair specifically to donate. Requirements are the hair be TEN inches from gathered part of ponytail. NO BLEACHED hair. No more than 5% grey due to coarseness of hair shaft. Color treated hair is ok. Be sure to MARK DIRECTION of hair growth of donation. This mix up can cause wig to tangle BEYOND repair!! Please be careful with that point. Locks of love makes PROSTETICS by request ONLY-no hair pieces. The other donation are stored for future use. They use @ 60% of hair donation. Rest of hair goes to offset costs of making piece. VERY WORTHY foundation. Good luck and many blessings to you and yours!!

#68 of 77 Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 AM

RE:KIDNEY "JOKE"!!!Obviously you've NEVER had the unfortunate "business" of being sick and for that you should be thankful!!! You need to cherish your good health and NOT poke fun at those who suffer from health ailments!!

#69 of 77 Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 AM

I remember years ago I cut off my butt-length hair and donated it, and my grandfather cried. I wasn't telling anyone, but my aunt asked if I donated it, then told my grandfather. My grandfateher and cousin and Sil all had cancer around the same time. In my area, LoL is pushed as helping kids with cancer have hair. I have never even heard it talked about as giving wigs to alopecia patients.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#70 of 77 Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

This is an old thread, but since it's been revived, I thought I'd post the Charity Navigator rating: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=9285#.UiLe_xYmzdk

I had always heard not to donate to Locks of Love, but when I looked into what the problems were, really, they didn't sound bad.  It sounds as if they have to sell some hair for profit to make up the difference, because wigmaking is an art and requires a lot of work to make a custom wig for someone that is going to look good, and it's not a profitable business, so they have to cover the costs somehow. 

#71 of 77 Old 09-28-2013, 02:55 PM

Interesting information ladies. I have been growing my hair for the sole purpose of donating it and I am ready to do it. Do any of you know anything about this group?

http://www.gotobeautifullengths.com/

They make wigs and are associated with the American Cancer Society. 

It seems though they say you cannot donate if your hair is dyed, I never use bleach, but I use over the counter box hair color and not sure if they will take it, but locks of love does take it and so I don't understand the difference.

Thanks ahead for any info.

#72 of 77 Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 AM

This was eye opening for me.  I have very long hair and wanted to donate it, still do, but now I just don't know.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/05/13/locks-of-love-6-million-of-hair-donations-unaccounted-for-each-year/

#73 of 77 Old 02-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post

This is an old thread, but since it's been revived, I thought I'd post the Charity Navigator rating: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=9285#.UiLe_xYmzdk

I had always heard not to donate to Locks of Love, but when I looked into what the problems were, really, they didn't sound bad.  It sounds as if they have to sell some hair for profit to make up the difference, because wigmaking is an art and requires a lot of work to make a custom wig for someone that is going to look good, and it's not a profitable business, so they have to cover the costs somehow. 

I think Wiki does a great job of outlining some of the issues, including links for support.  Your response was a year ago, so I have no idea what has been added since, but I donated to another organization prior to 2013 and it was because of all the shady accounting issues with Locks of Love up to that point. 

They are selling much more hair than they donate according to the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiewoman View Post

Interesting information ladies. I have been growing my hair for the sole purpose of donating it and I am ready to do it. Do any of you know anything about this group?

http://www.gotobeautifullengths.com/

They make wigs and are associated with the American Cancer Society. 

It seems though they say you cannot donate if your hair is dyed, I never use bleach, but I use over the counter box hair color and not sure if they will take it, but locks of love does take it and so I don't understand the difference.

Thanks ahead for any info.

I have donated to Pantene Beautiful Lengths and will do so again very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qre8iv View Post

This was eye opening for me.  I have very long hair and wanted to donate it, still do, but now I just don't know.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/05/13/locks-of-love-6-million-of-hair-donations-unaccounted-for-each-year/

Look into Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  Their rules were pretty straightforward and they will send you a notice letting you know they received your donation.  I was really happy with my experience compared to my Locks of Love donation.  I will be donating to them again soon.

#74 of 77 Old 03-11-2014, 11:38 PM

I understand the children do not get their wigs for free.  They are expensive for them.

#75 of 77 Old 06-27-2014, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Sorry I know this is an old thread but since I have longer hair I found it interesting. I looked at the Shear Hope website suggested above and if you have an issue with LoL I wouldn't suggest them either. Their "What We Do" page says they suggest women SHAVING their heads at at least a 13" donation and raise $200. The hair donation is given to LoL and the $200 is for Shear Hope's costs! If LoL is shady it sounds like these people are even shadier! I usually just cut mine when I'm ready and leave it for the birds or put it in compost although I have considered donating it. I guess since there aren't any decent options for that I won't be bothering.
#76 of 77 Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
Sorry I know this is an old thread but since I have longer hair I found it interesting. I looked at the Shear Hope website suggested above and if you have an issue with LoL I wouldn't suggest them either. Their "What We Do" page says they suggest women SHAVING their heads at at least a 13" donation and raise $200. The hair donation is given to LoL and the $200 is for Shear Hope's costs! If LoL is shady it sounds like these people are even shadier! I usually just cut mine when I'm ready and leave it for the birds or put it in compost although I have considered donating it. I guess since there aren't any decent options for that I won't be bothering.
Look into Pantene Beautiful Lengths.
#77 of 77 Old 07-14-2014, 12:17 PM

Exclamation

Wow, I just got my hair cut up to my ears after the ten inches and I was filling out the form to send in to LOL, but know I feel bad if it won't be used. The salon said they would love my thick strong hair. I don't know, I'm sending it in anyway, maybe somehow I could help someone. Thanks for the info people.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page