Petition for Andrei Love Spindell - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-29-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think there is an obviously appropriate forum for this, since the issues involved are many, but please take a moment to read this story of this baby being refused his right to breastfeed.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...ltl=1120059403
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2005, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There's a lot more to this story then the baby was taken because of BF and the father did some pretty odd stuff which would make most people worry.

Seriously?
#3 of 8 Old 06-30-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

i really only have the information from the family. do you have information otherwise...i'd like to hear it. i don't want to carry on uninformed or mistaken.
#4 of 8 Old 06-30-2005, 09:32 PM

I only know what I've read on various sites, what the mom says doesn't add up and the father comes off as a nutcase. The case is talked about every few weeks on MDC

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=298677 is the last thread on it.

This post kinda sums up where there errors where made. When it comes to dealing with mainstream medical care providers you don't pull that kinda stuff and you keep an open dialog about things not just flat out refuse things. I've been down the road of having a kid with serious issues and CPS involvement, because I had all my ducks in a row so to speak we were fine even though we too are considered "on the fringe". I don't know what's going on now with this case but there are red flags all over the place with the info available.

Seriously?
#5 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wow, I thought something was up with this when I couldn't really understand the website explaining the original story. It started out claiming to be written by the dad, then sounded like it was being written by the mom....the whole story just did NOT make sense! Especially the parts about getting stuff out of storage and being gone for awhile after the ER visit.

That said, my son's smallish to average for his age, and I'm at the point where I am not finishing his vax'es, etc.
Here is what *I* would do if *I* were in the situation of having my child found to be anemic and I wanted to try a more natural remedy first.
First off, I would have a regular care provider who's seen my child over a period of time, who knows he is happy, healthy, on track developmentally, etc. rather than going to the ER for a fever and running the risk that someone would freak over the fact that he's on the smallish side.

Second, I wouldn't outright refuse their offer of help. What I would say is "OK, I understand that anemia can be serious for my child. I would like to try to increase his iron levels by offering him iron-rich foods along with Vitamin C foods to enhance iron absorption before putting him on a supplement. When would you like to see him back for another test?" (also in my case, if my child were over a year and consuming dairy since we're not vegan, I would look at lowering his dairy consumption since the calcium can interfere with iron absorption.)
That *should* tell a doctor I'm concerned about my child's health and that I plan to do *something* about it. What these people did probably made it look to the doctor like they were NOT going to do anything about it.

And I don't know a whole lot about veganism, but this child's diet seemed extreme even by vegan standards. I can even understand not giving certain breads and cereals because they're low-nutrition. But *what* would be wrong with beans, which I would think he'd need for protein, and things like brown rice? Quinoa, which is a complete protein grain? I can't think that eating *only* fruits and seeds, as was listed for this baby (there was a page that listed his typical daily diet, it was basically figs, mango, banana, avocado, and pumpkin seeds), can possibly be a healthy diet. I think a baby can be raised to be healthy without meat or even animal products at all, but it has to be done carefully, and it has to include a *lot* of different plant-based foods to get different nutrients.

Basically, I can see why this child hasn't been given back. *I* wouldn't give him back either if I thought the mother was going to reunite with the dad or if I thought the dad would come take him from her. Angry with the system or not, there's a way to deal with it, and that's *not* to make threats and kidnap your child from his foster placement with the grandmother. At least at the grandma's, they had a chance of getting him a vegan diet (even if not so extreme, which would be a GOOD thing) and it sounded like the mom had daily contact with him, coming to bf and drop off diapers. And he was with a familiar person.

The saddest part of all this is the father's actions got the child placed with strangers.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
#6 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 AM

Melanie,

What i'm wondering is what was the kids iron level? It had to be pretty low for them to get that upset. If its 10 or above they will usually not care to much if you go though diet but if its below that they want you on the supps. There can be serious lasting effects with severe anemia which some people don't realize and i'm guessing the kid was in the severe range and moms actions led them to believe she would not be treating it.

Seriously?
#7 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 01:36 PM

i just read the mother's telling of the story, nothing more. it sounds so very much like my encoutner with CPS that i'm really saddened.
it's true. once CPS is involved in your life, your civil rights are gone. the smartest thing to do is comply. makes me sick. i totally admire the parent's refusal to comply...but if i had done that, my kids would be gone too. so sad. CPS is a bad bad thing.
#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2005, 03:04 PM

I hope the baby is ok.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page