Ethics, morals and diapers! Do they affect your shopping? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
 
Pinoikoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 9,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I first started buying diapers, I was just looking around for a "deal"- I really didn't care much about anything else. I just wanted diapers. bad. :LOL

Now though, I have found some wahm's websites to be a "turn off" to their items. I found a website that had anti wool info and antihoney info. I don't think any of her items had to do with honey, although I could see her making a statement as to why she doesn't sell wool, and click here if you want more info kind of thing (which I personally would have avoided, as I actually LIKE most animal products- shoot me now!!) I think that animal products have a bad rap in a lot of ways, it depends on the companies/people and thier care for the animals as to whether they get my business.

But why bees?? Didn't have much to do with diapers I think.

I also will not shop overtly religious sites, I think the fish symbol placed on their website somewhere gets the message across without sticking all of the Bible quotes around. (my fix it guy has a fish on his business card, I think it is appropriate).

I think just generally, it is when a business SLAMS another (or another religion for that matter) that I shy away. I don't like anyone telling me what to think or believe. It is my choice. thanks.
Pinoikoi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 05:41 PM
 
jentilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: napping in SC
Posts: 711
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my! I'm getting ready to open a business and I never thought one could come under fire in such a way.

I don't look at WAHM beliefs. If they come acroos negatively on their site then I might be turned off.

If they were kind of radical then well may I would be turned off.

The funny thing is, it's mostly how nice they are, BUT it does come down to PRODUCT. If the product is not good-see ya!
But then I go to restaurants for the food, not the service. I waited tables for too long to rely on service, although it should be adequate. I don't expect a WAHM to bend over backwards for me: respond, ship and have a good day!

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
jentilla is offline  
#63 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
 
Oceanone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have time to adress the individual beliefs and practices of each wahm. Live and let live. I don't need to deal only with people who are like me. I just like a degree of professionalism. If a wahm treats customers badly or is unprofessional that's a real turn off at a personal level . I will never buy from one that acts this way towards me or others online.

Mama to 13, and 10 and 4.
Oceanone is offline  
 
#64 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:03 PM
 
scrappinmomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Behind knitting needles
Posts: 1,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stepping away from this for the afternoon and coming back... just want to make a comment about some of the comments made about boycotting businesses.

You boycott Wal Mart. WM ain't gonna feel it, ladies.

You boycott a WAHM based on a subjective opinion, she IS gonna feel it.

I'm not saying put aside your belief systems. I am just saying if you feel a certan way about what you SEE and what CAN be judged (i.e. if I have on my site that I am donating all proceeds of all my auctions to the Society that Believes in Taking Your Animals Out in the Backyard and Chaining Them to the Fence), and you don't share my views, then go for it. But when you get down to the nitty gritty of the toothpaste a WAHM uses, or the place she shops, I mean.. how do you KNOW if a WAHM gets thread at Wal Mart or from another WAHM? You gonna ask? And if you have THAT much time on your hands, more power to ya!

Now I am sounding flip, and I don't mean to. I am just saying... there really are bigger fish to fry in the world. If you don't believe in something that a WAHM stands for, then just make the SILENT choice of not shopping with her. I know no names were given in this thread, and that is excellent.

So now I am getting back on my horse and gallop into the sunset, going to feed my children fast food from a local ice cream establishment because I like to support local vendors.
scrappinmomof3 is offline  
#65 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:09 PM
 
eden/averymum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada Baby, here comes the snow!
Posts: 1,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never thought about it, but am generally happy to support a wahm. unless i heard something upseting I probably won't think about it again! lol!
eden/averymum is offline  
#66 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 PM
 
amicrazyyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: wherever the military moves us
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by umefey
I do agree with this
HOWEVER, I don't support many big companies because I feel their practices are unethical, should I be more leniant to WAHMs, just because they are WAHMs?
I'm not trying to sound like a hardass :
I agree that you should absolutely choose to do biz with those that share your ethics. 100% totally agree. However, IMO there is a fine line to me between ethics/morals and politics/religion. A persons morals are often guided by their foundation of religion which can also influence their politics. But there still is a line there to me. As long as a person is using good biz practices and not using sweatshops, cheating, lying, stealing, etc, then I call that ethical biz dealings.

If something is totally against my moral code and it shakes my core beliefs and they advertised the fact then I make the personal choice not to do biz.

I kind of view it like this. I married my DH even though we have totally different religious, and political views and some of them are polar opposite views. However we have a commonality in our ethics and morals. We try to live humbly and are kind to others. It makes things spicey at times with the "discussions" we get into, but the core is still the same. He votes for one person to be president, I voted for someone different. He grew up feeling one way about Pro-life/Pro-Choice and yet I feel totally opposite. We both support different charities. These are not core things for us. These core values for us come from a different place. We are on the same page as far as raising children, belief in a higher power, how we live our lives, giving back to others and the impact we make on others.

I view most WAHM's this way if they operate in an ethical manner. I don't need to know their private thoughts and views. And most of the time even if I did know it, it doesn't affect me much since I try to view it as 2 totally different people from 2 totally different backgrounds trying to come to a common goal.
amicrazyyet is offline  
#67 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:21 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is a diaper website (whose name I shall not mention on this thread) that states on its main page that a certain percentage of profit is donated to right-to-life groups. I will not buy from them. Yes, a WAHM's personal life is her own affair, but when you state on your company website that a percentage of the customer's purchase will go to a certain group, you are inviting your customers to choose whether or not they want to support your company (and therefore the group) based on that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
A Union of Concerned Scientists review and a recent UK study both found little if any environmental difference between using cloth versus disposables
I've never heard of the UCS review, but I believe the recent UK study was funded/influenced by disposable diaper companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
I assume these studies were averaging across the kinds of cloth that people use.
I read the UK study, and no, it did not take into account the range of different kinds of cloth diapers that people use. In fact, everything about the study was biased against cloth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
To me this implies that some cloth choices might be better than sposies and some might be worse.
Actually, that isn't true. There isn't a single cloth diapering system or method that comes close to the environmental impact of disposables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
For example, I think that for people who live in places with extreme water shortages but lots of landfill space, disposables may be a better environmental choice
It isn't just a question of the volume of landfill space taken up. You have to consider the environmental impact of the manufacturing process, and you have to consider not just the quantity of landfill space but also the qualities of the materials being dumped and their affect on human health when they enter the environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawoof
Also, if a diaper takes 1/2 a day in the dryer to dry, that's a lot of energy being used and I'm not certain that would be less than the impact of disposables.
Actually, it takes a lot more energy to manufacture a sposie than it does to dry even the longest drying internal-soaker cloth diaper. Plus, a cloth diaper user can save even more energy by using a Spin X or similar water extractor like I do.

All that said, I'm definitely in favor of minimizing what environmental impact cloth diapers have even further.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#68 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:29 PM
 
IdentityCrisisMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,706
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I haven’t bought diapers on-line (used a service before I knew about this stuff) but I do support small businesses and, yes, I do choose who I want to give my money to based on my values. Supporting small business and quality goods is as much a part of my values as other things. It seems like a fitting part of NFL to me.

Troll? Here's me...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
IdentityCrisisMama is offline  
#69 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:34 PM
 
Kari_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am the customer. I can chose whatever standards I wish to guide my purchases. I've walked away from purchases because I didn't like a website or I didn't want to stalk. Certainly ethics is a more serious and important reason to chose NOT to purchase a diaper?

The OP asked if ethics and morals guide my purchases, I responded yes. And they do. I don't believe that just because you are a WAHM, you are automatically worthy of my patronage. Not all WAHMs stay home for their children. Not all WAHMs use their business to support their families. Lots of WAHMs have jobs out of the home. I mention this because I don't think that you can make blanket statements about how supporting WAHMs is so important so a mother can stay home with her children.

I don't go out of my way to figure out who is ethical and has similar morals to my own, but if I KNOW because of the information available casually to me from message boards and their own websites, well yes I am going to use that knowlege.
Kari_mom is offline  
#70 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:35 PM
 
Sustainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 10,339
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinmomof3
You boycott Wal Mart. WM ain't gonna feel it, ladies.
They will if enough of us do it.

-Alice, SAHM to dd (2001) and ds (2004) each of whom was a homebirth.jpg, who each self-weaned at 4.5 years bfolderchild.gif, who both fambedsingle2.gif'd, who were bothcd.gif, and both: novaxnocirc.gif.   Also, gd.gif, and goorganic.jpg!

Sustainer is offline  
#71 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
 
Boobiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Idaho!!!
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So are we as wahms supposed to have a list on our site of all the AP things we do so customers can decide if we are "worthy" enough" to buy from?

and I'm sure I will lose many customers when they find out I drink Pepsi!

I think if a wahm offers a good product, and good service,. what she does in her own house is none of my business. Besides, how do you ever really "know" someone on the internet?

Oh, edited to add, I wouldnt buy from a wahm if she made diapers to support her booze and crack habit. :LOL
Boobiemama is offline  
#72 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
 
ma_Donna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Generally my influences with WAHM's are on the positive side, for example I appreciate wool from local sources and it makes me more excited about their product. I am more likely to buy products from them.

I so appreciate that there is such a lovely array of WAHM products out there and I have such great things for my kid. Yesterday Noah was wearing WAHM things from head to toe, shirt, longies, diaper & shoes. Made me feel great.

OTOH there is a local furniture store that had their 'personality' appear with a local political candidate that I don't agree with - I don't shop there. Fortunately there are other local sources to choose from. However, I would prefer to shop there than a big chain... if I couldn't find it second hand :LOL

In the beginning, I didn't think too much about some cloth having a lighter environmental impact than others, I've got a complete stash so I'm not going to sell everything off to use (for example) just hemp flats that I line dry & locally produced wool... but this awareness is making me more aware of future purchases. I have a friend (not quite ready to TTC yet) that I was showing diapers to and she was asking about line drying and it hadn't even occured to me - but made me more aware that I still have more to learn

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
ma_Donna is offline  
#73 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:41 PM
 
umefey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_Donna
OTOH there is a local furniture store that had their 'personality' appear with a local political candidate that I don't agree with - I don't shop there. Fortunately there are other local sources to choose from. However, I would prefer to shop there than a big chain... if I couldn't find it second hand :LOL
This is exactly what I mean.
I don't care if a WAHM drinks pepsi, or shops for her groceries at Safeway... That has nothing to do with her/his company.
umefey is offline  
#74 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
 
Kari_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So are we as wahms supposed to have a list on our site of all the AP things we do so customers can decide if we are "worthy" enough" to buy from?
I don't think anyone is saying that at all. But I think it is important for WAHMs to realize that how they represent themselves on the internet does impact their sales. I don't think it is a big WAHM conspiracy or anything. It is just the human nature of the business. If I am looking at two products from two different WAHMs, and one I think is AP because of what she has posted and the other I think is not AP because of what she has posted, then I am going to buy from the first. I am not going to say to myself, hmm, how can I be most fair about this since I could be horribly wrong, I think I will toss a coin.

Putting yourself and your business out there on message boards is a double-edged sword. You'll get more business if people know you and know about your business. But you might lose a customer or two. Overall I think you have to agree it is worth the exposure.
Kari_mom is offline  
#75 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM
 
allformyboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am going to say I don't think I would actively boycott a WAHM based on their beliefs, religion or race, however I will based on a moral vibe or proven ethical issues. I have WAHM's (and one that was VERY hyena at one time) that I will not ever buy from, based on things I 'personally' know about them.

I would not actively boycott meaning I wouldn't tell others "Don't buy from so and so because they do XX and YY" but I would personally refrain from spending my hard earned money there. I know of one WAHM that sells cloth diapers and slings yet she never holds her baby (or uses a sling) unless it is going to make her money, she lets him cry a lot and uses disposable diapers, but she can 'make money' selling cloth. She pushes natural parenting and AP lifestyle as a business but practices none of it. I know her personally and I wouldn't ever buy from her. Yes I will boycott her from a personal stand point.

I wouldn't judge a WAHM that I didn't know personally though, one post or a 'vibe' I get isn't really enough to make me buy or not buy, I don't seek out posts by WAHM's and honestly I rarely look at WHO is making the post and respond in general. I wouldn't judge someone for not breastfeeding, I know there are some who try and can't, or who don't/didn't know better, I wouldn't judge a WAHM for shopping at Wal-Mart either, sometimes it is all she has, I live in a SMALL town and Walmart is the ONLY place in 40 mins that sells fabric (I don't use fabric in my business thankfully) but if I did, it would be my only 'local' option, and frankly WAHM's profit margin is so little I wouldn't deny her right to get her supplies as cheaply as she can to make more for her family. I might not agree with Walmarts business practices, but to me they are about the only option I can afford for a lot of things (food being one of them-a local store is 4x more expensive). I grow what I can, but I live in Michigan so our summers are fairly short, and we do what we have to to get by.

So I shop at Walmart-that is my dirty little secret, boycot if you must. (I don't get supplies for business there-they don't sell wool....LOL)
allformyboys is offline  
#76 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM
 
Boobiemama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Idaho!!!
Posts: 4,014
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, I had another thought. I know of a wahm that doesnt even use the diapers she makes. She uses disposables. I would wonder why she doesnt use her own diapers. I believe a wahm should know her product, and if she is selling it, it should be something that she stands behind and uses too.
Boobiemama is offline  
#77 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM
 
pilesoflaundry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: getting comfy again
Posts: 8,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only time I care is if it's a charity auction and all the money goes to a charity I do not agree with or a cause I do not support. I won't mention which causes I don't support because it doesn't matter here.

I suppose if I found out someone loved the Ezzos it would be harder to want to give them my money but if I don't want someone asking me what I support before I can buy their product I don't have the right to ask them before I purchase. If it's clearly stated on their website that's different I can decide from there but I won't ask anyone.
pilesoflaundry is offline  
#78 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:34 PM
 
Lynski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A WAHM who uses disposables!?! That's just amazing to me to even think about! :LOL

I was alarmed when I read this thread, and I've been watching it all day. It stinks to think that someone wouldn't buy from me because they thought I wasn't AP enough, or that I was a jerk. :LOL But what can I say, I've done the same thing. I read on a site the rather extreme religious views of the owner, and I so strongly disagreed that I left the site. I do choose to shop from moms I know and love when I need something, they are friends and I sometimes even pay a little more because I want to support them.

That said, if the product was good and reliable, I wouldn't have turned away. I didn't have any knowledge of that WAHM so I didn't look any further. But if I found out tomorrow that my favorite diaper making had some unusual views, I wouldn't stop buying them. There are issues I feel strongly about though, and in those cases I can't say what I would do. I agree that if I saw that part of the proceeds went to a cause I didn't agree with, I'd shop somewhere else. In that case I wouldn't want to support the cause by contributing my sale. That seems fairly straight forward to me.
Lynski is offline  
#79 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
 
Danahen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Browns Mills (Pemberton Twp.), NJ
Posts: 797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ALASKANTEACH, you say:
Quote:
I found a website that had anti wool info and antihoney info. I don't think any of her ..........
You may be referring to me. I used to sell WIOs over a year ago until I decided I did not want to be part of that industry any longer. I have *never* come down on anyone who uses wool, I will even do business with them. It is my personal choice. The links I offer at my site are mostly there so I don't have to keep answering the many emails I was recieving as to why I stopped making the WIOs and bees' wax based products (at my site, they did have "to do with the diapers"), as well as dyed silks. These were all items I used to sell. I am not trying to "give animal products a bad rap", not at all. I am simply putting the information out there. If you don't want to read the links, don't . They aren't there to threaten anyone, that would be sort of counter productive. Ask *any* wool WAHM that knows me, and she'll tell you how non judgemental I am.
Danahen is offline  
#80 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 07:55 PM
 
Morwenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Ask *any* wool WAHM that knows me, and she'll tell you how non judgemental I am


The info. is there if you are curious--I was and learned something from it!

I don't feel it's judgemental at all--if you are not interested, don't click!

I use wool, and beeswax, and lanolin--and Dana still loves me

I am not put off by her site, or anyone else's as long as you are not hit over the head with political or religious messages. I think it's nice, when tastefully done--you get a real feeling for that person--it would be boring if we were all the same, very bland
Morwenna is offline  
#81 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 PM
 
Juliacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Left of center
Posts: 5,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatulagirl
So, I want to know if you apply the same decision making when shopping for diapers as you might when shopping for other things. No naming names of course!
Yes, I do. I've even paid extra to shop from certain WAHMs.

Mommy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 10) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 6)
Juliacat is offline  
#82 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 08:24 PM
 
Marco Esquandolas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gosh, mamas, I don't want to see anyone's feelings get hurt!! I think it is good that we have this forum to express our opinions on this topic. It works both ways too mamas-I've shopped shops I wouldn't have known to look at b/c of something positive a wahm said or b/c of something I see in a wahm's siggy.

Dana-I for one was never put off by info on your site....I see vegan friendly and would expect you to NOT carry animal products, lol. Your links as to why are just like icing on the cake (dairy free, of course ). Info is good. Knowledge is power.

I'm really excited to see this post hit 5 pages with no one being nasty. Thanks, mamas!!
Marco Esquandolas is offline  
#83 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 08:31 PM
 
Rebecca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It seems like this sort of stuff can really split hairs. So a wahm breastfeeds but smokes or never eats vegetables. Or she is totally strung out all the time with lots of orders so she plops her kids in front of the TV so she can get some work done (but hey, she's 'staying home with her kids'). Or she had some sort of experience or upbringing that bestowed upon her specific political/moral beliefs you may or may not agree with. You never know what someone's situation is and we cannot judge based on a few superficial or even subjective 'qualifications'.

I look for a small biz that is run well and 'ethically'. I expect to be treated with respect. I expect to receive a well-made product. I expect not to be stolen from or lied to. That's about as far as I look before I buy from any small business. (notice I didn't say 'wahm' since I'm thinking the 'mothering' aspect should be separate from the business aspect, though I have yet to remove it from my own business)

But even 'ethically' is subjective. Some wahms don't pay/file taxes. Is that 'bad' because it's illegal and unfair to the rest of us who do, or is it 'ok' because some people don't believe in the things that taxes pay for like war, welfare, government programs, etc? While it's great to research a business before supporting it, how much do we really know about a biz/wahm? Anyone can be anyone on the internet. I think history (reviews) are the best predictor of a wahm's business values.
Rebecca is offline  
#84 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 08:38 PM
 
wawoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I read the UK study
Sustainer, do you have a link the whole UK study? I've only been able to read about it, not read the study itself. If the bias you suggest is true, I'll be thrilled. I was bummed to read about a second study (the UCS study being #1) saying that cloth is no better than sposies. TIA for a link to the study itself...
wawoof is offline  
#85 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 08:42 PM
 
Juliacat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Left of center
Posts: 5,278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My money = my decision where to spend it. Being judgmental of other people has nothing to do with it--people can do what they want. I have the right to decide to buy from a WAHM who doesn't advertise for causes I disagree with on her business web site.

Mommy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 10) and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(age 6)
Juliacat is offline  
#86 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
 
momsgotmilk4two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not come accross a wahm who I would not buy from based on anything other than customer service and having a product I like. I don't go digging for info. I don't care if she is AP or pro Bush. In fact, I consciously buy candles from a mom friend of mine who is republican, not totally ap, and works outside the home in addition to her in home business. So what? She's a good person, a good mother, and she makes a good product. That's all I care about. I don't shop at Walmart, so I'd rather not indirectly support Walmart by buying products that are made from Walmart supplies BUT it is none of my beeswax if a wahm turns around and spends money that I spent on diapers for things at Walmart. That is going too far into her personal life. I like buying from wahm's. I feel like I am helping to support another mom. I don't care if that mom has a lot in common with me.
momsgotmilk4two is offline  
#87 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 PM
 
Mrs Dimples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: nak'ing the light fantastic
Posts: 1,971
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread has been interesting. Basically, IMO it is any WAHM or diaper-maker's right to decide what content/personal info/whatever they have on their site, and it is my (or anyone's) right as a customer to decide how, if at all, I let that informatino impact my buying or not buying of their product. I think it's interesting to see where everyone stands on this.

As to my personal take: I make it a point in my personal, everyday life to not patronize establishment whose business or ethical practices I do not agree with. For example, I do not shop at Wal-mart. I would not necessarioy not patroninze a WAHM who gets her supplies there, but if all other things were equal I would probably be inclined to buy something from someone who did not get their supplies from a retailer who I take issue with. That said, I am more understanding for sure of a WAHM in this situaiotn because - maybe she lives in a small town and the only thing there is a Wal-mart. What are you gonna do?

But I do have to say that I bristle at the suggestion that boycotting establishments (such as Wal-mart) that I do not believe in does not matter. How do you think that Wal-mart got to be the only place in town to shop? Because every individual person who shopped there thought that their little dollars didn't matter. I cannot dictate others actions, nor do I want do. But I can take my money and put it where my mouth is. I wouldn't be me if I didn't. That's who I am, and it's important to me.

I do tend to assume, though, unless other blatant information presents itself to me, that a WAHM who is peddling cloth diapers and slings, etc, would tend to hold many of the same values as I do and I really don't lok into it any further. I'm certainly not sifting through their posts late at night to find out where they buy their groceries. :LOL
Mrs Dimples is offline  
#88 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 10:08 PM
 
MissSugarKane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Volcano , Ca
Posts: 3,427
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobiemama
and I'm sure I will lose many customers when they find out I drink Pepsi!
Yep you just lost me. I am a Coke drinker myself and could not stand the thought of supporting your Pepsi habit :
MissSugarKane is offline  
#89 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM
 
Eman'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 6,099
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I love WAHM's and I think my entire stash is WAHM's.

What gets me there and keeps me coming back, quality and customer service. Period.

oh wait, if there site said I'm a baby beating kitten killer I wouldn't buy from them, but basically it doesn't bother me.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
Eman'smom is offline  
#90 of 236 Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 PM
 
Miss Juice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: In a huge pile of laundry
Posts: 2,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm I may get in some trouble here....

I actually like supporting WAHMs whose beliefs are different from mine. And hey I might just learn a thing or two. When I see something on a WAHMs website that tells me more about who she is, I like to support her even if she is different from me. Or even especially because she is different from me. If she feels strongly about certain things or issues and is brave enough to tell the world what she thinks, then power to her.

When it comes to corporations I fall completely on the other side. I will not buy from walfart. I have a gift card there and I can't bring myself to go there and use it, even though I know the ALREADY HAVE THE MONEY and therefore owe me a product. I am not kidding I can't go in there and not get a headache.

If a WAHM was supporting a charity cause I did not agree with I would not participate in that auction or event. But that has nothing to do with the WAHM, it has to do with the cause. It would not stop me from supporting the WAHM in the future.

My question is this: If you boyott a WAHM for any reason, do you at least get in contact with her and tell her so, and tell her why? If not, she won't even know you disagree.
Miss Juice is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 13,227

19 members and 13,208 guests
anacrish , brucebrown , Deborah , Fluffer , hillymum , Katherine73 , Lea Martin , lisak1234 , MamaNika , moominmamma , MountainMamaGC , omarinbox1888 , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , samaxtics , shantimama , Skippy918 , sren , transpecos
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.